*FIXED* Playtesting woes - crashing demo's

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

*FIXED* Playtesting woes - crashing demo's

Postby marnamai on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:53 pm

I am having some trouble setting up an user-friendly method of recording and distributing playtest demo's.

My initial method was asking playtesters to record demo's (via console record command) and upload them onto dropbox. (a seperate build of the mod specific for testing was distributed along all testers to ensure they all had the same content)
This required minimum effort and got me valuable feedback.

However about 30% of the submited demo's will crash after 2-5 seconds of playing ingame. (playdemo command)

I tried to find a common factor of what caused said crashes
- ep2 version was the same
- mod build and mapversion was the same
- specs of systems were too random and some were almost identical to mine
- playtesters had no custom content installed

edit: playtesters also tried to play the demo's that crashed for me and had no issues with them

This made it near impossible to find a cause of said crashes.

I am looking at alternate means to get the playtest footage that requires minimal effort and technical knowledge from the playtesters. Asking them to record and encode + upload a video is asking a little too much in my opinion.

Setting up a twitch account and broadcasting software isn't private and thus not suitable for private playtests.

TLDR:

Does anyone know any other means of getting the playtest footage or a fix for the demo crash problem?
Last edited by marnamai on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Playtesting woes

Postby marnamai on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:17 am

fixed thanks to Ade from BTC: some playtesters played with "closedcaption 1", which caused demo's to crash when played with "closedcaption 0"
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Game Development