New 3ds Model Tool to expedite Source Model Creation

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Re: New 3ds Model Tool to expedite Source Model Creation

Postby shawnolson on Wed May 25, 2011 12:40 am

A few additions to WWMT:

Version 1.45 released 05-24-2011

Added Material Library Generator
Added Quick Properties (buttons next to proprties in Quick WWMT section) to set all selected WWMT helpers to the associated value.
Updated code to utilize objects that have Bone On turned on so that they can be used in ragdoll exports without a Skin Modifier. (Sorry this is cryptic... but I'll explain when I have time...).

UI for the Material Generator:

Updated UI for the Utilities:

The Material Generator is one of the new buttons in the Utilities Rollout. Also... the new little arrows let yet set properties en mass with WWMT helpers in the scene.

The VTA buttons in the Utilities Rollout are not yet available. I am working on adding VTA support to the exporter... but didn't have time with this update.

I'll be out of town for a week... so I'll be slow to respond to any questions.
Technical Artist for Black Mesa
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:28 pm

Version 1.46 is out with a couple bug fixes.

Added a docs page for making a ragdoll: http://wallworm.com/projects/utilities/ ... dolls.html

shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:14 am

Version 1.5 released 06-18-2011

• Changed some of the core directories Wall Worm functions are located in. The materials class and some common functions shared between different Wall Worm tools have now been moved to a folder called common in the WallWorm.com directory.
Added Quick Hull to generate convex collision hulls from the WWMT model. Feature is dependant on compatible version of Convexity being installed.*
Added Advanced Hull to generate convex collision hulls. Feature is dependant on compatible version of Convexity being installed.*
• Updated Material Library Generator to Version 1.2:
◦ Added Folder Filters
◦ Added File Filters
◦ Added Spcular Support
◦ Added option to make multiple libraries or single library
◦ Added directory save function to remember working directory of raw materials

• Fixed bug where an exception would happen if you delete a collision hull object and then click the Select Collision Hulls button.
• Removed the branch in the code for exporting models in 3ds Max 2012 that was required when 3ds Max 2012 was first launched due to a MAXScript bug in 3ds 2012. That bug was fixed with the first Hotfix for 2012; you must make sure to install the hotfix or WWMT will not work properly in 2012 with this version of WWMT.
• Fixed bug where the VTF Export would pop up a second (redundant) window when compiling materials in 3ds Max 2012.

*At the time of this release, the new Collision Hull functions are not yet publicly available. Maple 3D has provided me with the functions to integrate into WWMT; it will be available to owners of Convexity in the near future.

I will be making some new videos soon to show off the new hull tools; also some videos demonstrating how to do some of the things that people ask me the most.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Updated the download today. WWMT is unchanged but the material library generator is updated. Thanks to those who shared feedback. The library generator is at version 1.25 ; it may still have some bugs when using Max 2012 and VTFs instead of TGAs... so use VTFEdit to batch convert VTFs into TGAs in the same directories as the VTFs before running the generator... especially if using Max 2012.

I'm assuming that when the VTF plugin for Max 2012 is out then you won't have to worry about that.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:22 pm

New docs page on using the Quick Hull Feature in WWMT... which isn't available to the public yet... but it's a feature that people (including me) have wanted for a long time. It's now working but waiting for the next version of Convexity to be released.

Here's a demonstration.

Special thanks to Michael Little of Maple3D who has been so kind to build the function and allow me to integrate it into WWMT.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby [Steve] on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:10 am

Such a great tool, and the recent updates have been fantastic, dont stop updating it, your tools are really fantastic for the source modding community.
also ive found that your documentation is written really well. keep it up !
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby sixpakken on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:12 am

This tool are just getting better and better :) thx alot for doing this.
Last edited by sixpakken on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
sixpakken
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:48 pm

greenglow2004 wrote:Such a great tool, and the recent updates have been fantastic, dont stop updating it, your tools are really fantastic for the source modding community.
also ive found that your documentation is written really well. keep it up !

Thank you very much!

I try to keep the docs updated as best as I can. It can seem daunting at times... but it's even worse when I forget to document something that isn't inherently intuitive and I get a lot of emails asking how to do things with the tool. There are still big holes in the docs but I will try to get around to them all.

sixpakken wrote:This is tool are just getting better and better :) thx alot for doing this.

It certainly makes me feel good to hear that. You're welcome! It's sometimes hard for me to guage the overall interest in this tool sometimes. So hearing things like this is encouraging.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Version 1.52 released 07-21-2011

• Changed the Default Model Path in the Settings Floater from a text input to a combobox so that you can enter and save multiple paths for re-use.
• Changed the Default Material Path in the Settings Floater from a text input to a combobox so that you can enter and save multiple paths for re-use.
• Fixed a bug where there was a MAXScript error if you clicked Add CM Sel and the current selection was in sub-object mode (Vertex, Face, etc). Now pops up a message telling you to change mode.
• Fixed a bug where there was a MAXScript error if you clicked Add CM Sel and the selection was a Grouped Set of objects. Note that the objects will get added as collision models, but they do not get processed automatically if part of a group (you'll need to manually run the Process CM or Prepare CM on the items in the group to automatically apply proper smoothing groups and materials). This is just to capture an error--using Groups is discouraged for all WWMT functions.

Also, I've been testing Wunderboy's SMD Exporter for Max 2012. I'll share info when it's out. Until then you can only use WWMT in 2012 with Cannonfodder's SMD Exporter.

And a common email has been when the collision hull generator will be available. It's already done... but awaiting a new version of Convexity to be released. No word yet when Maple3D is releasing it... but I expect soon.
Last edited by shawnolson on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:25 pm

There have been several updates since last post. Among them in today's update is $jigglebones. I haven't had a lot of time to actually test them... and I'm certain that the XYZ isn't translating to the correct pitch/yaw/along in the QC (I think that a couple axis need to export to a different axis... so if anyone can test it and provide feedback/hints, I'd be happy). This is a feature people have been emailing me about for months.

There are many other additions in this and recent updates. The complete changelog is here along with a link to the $jigglebone docs.

Briefly, the other main updates regard the material exporter. You can now choose VertexLitGeneric or UnlitGeneric; $nocull gets applied to materials with 2-sided set; $translucent, $alpha/$alphatest get exported depending on material... more...
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:07 pm

New version out. Supports Normal Bump map in bump slot now. Normal texture comes from the Normal slot of the Normal Bump. Adding a bitmap to the Additional Bump of the Normal Bump will export as a $detail texture.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Version 1.7 is out. Particle System UI, VTA support, LOD materials, bug fixes... more.

Changelog.

Please report any bugs.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby Hollow on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Hey Shawn, I've been using your tool for the last week or so, as I've shifted from Maya to Max (I'll use both equally).
After following one of your video tutorials of getting all the paths and folders set up properly, Once I hit export model and export to vtf/vmt, I receive .smd, .qc and copies of my .tga files in the appropriate folders, but no .mdl or vtf/vmt files.

Am I just missing a manual step that isn't included within your guide, or is their another reason I'm unableto view anything in the model viewer via the SDK?
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby shawnolson on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:35 pm

Hollow wrote:Hey Shawn, I've been using your tool for the last week or so, as I've shifted from Maya to Max (I'll use both equally).
After following one of your video tutorials of getting all the paths and folders set up properly, Once I hit export model and export to vtf/vmt, I receive .smd, .qc and copies of my .tga files in the appropriate folders, but no .mdl or vtf/vmt files.

Am I just missing a manual step that isn't included within your guide, or is their another reason I'm unableto view anything in the model viewer via the SDK?

That is usually a sign of one or two things:

1) The settings don't have the Compile on Export option checked

and/or

2) The Bin Directory isn't set

It can also occur if you are using 3ds Max 2012 that doesn't have SP1/SP2 installed... as the initial release of Max had a MAXScript bug that broke WWMT. The SP1/2 of Max addressed that bug. If that is the case, install SP2 (which just came out in the last several days).
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby Hollow on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:45 am

Its probably the SP1/2 problem as I am using Max 2012 and this is a brand new laptop.

I'll download the service packs and try again!
Cheers for the reply :)
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

PreviousNext

Return to Art Creation