XSI Exported Model Issue.

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

XSI Exported Model Issue.

Postby Epifire on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:17 am

So I am one of the rare XSI users, and one thing I run into on nearly every model is where my models are scaled up or down horribly so after they have been exported and compiled. I am not sure why this is since I freeze all my transforms several times over before I even export (so no remnant stuff from that).

Okay that stone prop I mentioned keeps compiling about 15 times the regular size to small. This has happened ever since I started making models for Source. Thing is my XSI measurements conclude with the de-compiled metro cop model (which in Hammer resides at 72 units high) and in XSI also runs at the same height. So the XSI grid matches up with the smallest Hammer grid size (if you go by the scale of the metro cop). Thing is my models are constantly re sizing and are incorrect in size. I believe it is relative to XSI cause when I send Obj files to people they are the correct size as they should be.

Has anyone else ran into this issue in XSI? Cause it pretty much disrupts any kind of accurate measurements you try and use from Hammer.

Note: I use XSI 6.0 since it is currently the only XSI version that supports the compiler these days. Not sure if that version has this issue with it but I thought I would add that in there just to be safe.
Epifire

Re: XSI Exported Model Issue.

Postby Gambini on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:10 am

I use XSI 6.01 (you can get it at moddb):

http://www.moddb.com/downloads/xsi-mod-tool-601

I know you said you freeze your transforms... but I insist, because it is the typical problem with the smd exporter.

There are two ways of freezing transforms, one is by clicking in "freeze history" > Modeling or Object. And the other one is which usually causes problems and it is in "transform" "freeze all transforms". Note you may want to keep a copy of your model prior freezing all transforms, as it removes all proportional operators.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Epifire on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:35 am

Well I do that. I freeze all the transforms and save and then just to be safe I freeze them again and then export. I mean it seems like it is a transform issue but I freeze everything before export anyway so I don't know how that would cause that.

Modtools layout, but the same thing from my knowledge (correct me if I am wrong). Otherwise I there is another theory of mine that seems to also make sense. Well theory 2 is that when I get my first primitives that are usually set to a four I turn down to 1 so that they will except standard measurements (otherwise they are doubled). That is my only thing I could think of cause if that some how managed to be left over in the mesh and stayed as a parameter after exporting. Otherwise that is all I can think of.
Epifire

Postby Gambini on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:27 am

Modtool layout here too. Your screenshot confuses me. And sorry if I go all the way down again but:

Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Epifire on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:48 am

Should be relatively the same thing but I will try both and see.

EDIT: Gambini I am so glad some one still uses XSI, cause I have been using it since early 2009 and never knew there was a difference between the two button panels. Cause yeah it worked. My models are now fine so you don't know how thankful I am to know the answer to such a simple problem. Thanks again man, cause now I can keep using XSI! :-D
Epifire

Postby Gambini on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:39 am

You´re welcome! I knew from the very beginning you was looking at the wrong button. But people in general over-read what I say :P
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Epifire on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:45 am

Gambini wrote:You´re welcome! I knew from the very beginning you was looking at the wrong button. But people in general over-read what I say :P

Well thing is I already knew about that button for a long time but I thought the ones I was using were just shortcuts doing the same thing. Heh, even after years of using XSI I am still finding new things out about it.
Epifire

Return to Art Creation