Complex Matinee Sequences

Help and discussion relating to UnrealEd and the UDK

Complex Matinee Sequences

Postby Vilham on Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:38 pm

So the weekend is coming up which gives me some time to work on my ut3 map. Ive already learnt the basics of matinee, ive got doors etc that move on triggers. However what im aiming for is to have something similar to one of the maps in UT3 (can't remember the name, its a robot factory and the assets are under LI_Mech).

The general concept being robots hanging from suspended conveyor belts/cables moving through the playable and unplayable areas. Now I know I can easily create it so 1 robot goes along a section at a time, that would just require an infinite matinee sequence that starts out of view and moves through the area and out of view again. Which is a nice idea and maybe what I end up doing.

However I would rather have multiple robots at once on a line the player can see. This would mean that some of the robots would need to start the level already part way across. I can't think for the life of me how to do this in matinee, is there a tick box that allows me to start a sequence part way done or perhaps another method this was originally created with?
Designer - Frontier Developments
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Re: Complex Matinee Sequences

Postby ChopperDave on Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Can't you just create them at their starting positions and mark that as key frame 0? Seems to me it would be no different then the first robot, it's just that they have a different position on key frame 0 (so compared to the initial robot they will alwys be ahead). For example, keyframe 0 of the second robot would have the robot at about the same position as the first robot's keyframe 1.

Or maybe I don't understand the question.
ChopperDave
Rockstar San Diego

Postby Vilham on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Ive never done any animation before so I hadn't thought of the fact that you can do negative timescales on it.

O wait maybe you aren't saying that. Can you do negative timescales in animation? ie -6 seconds or whatever, so then at -6 seconds robot 2 is at the same point as robot 1 is at zero, ie 6 seconds ahead in its animation.
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby The Wanderer on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:54 pm

Epic probably approuches this with actor factories, i.e. they spawn a new model through the actor factory every X seconds and lets them start the matinee sequence, after the sequence completes, it gets destroyed.

Now in practice i've never done this, but this is how i would try to approuch it.

If you own UT3, you could go take a look at that robotics facility map's kismet (don't have UT3 installed atm so can't check and UDK doesn't have a map with an example for this).
The Wanderer

Postby Vilham on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:17 pm

UT3 doesnt have it decompiled :( and i dunno how to decompile a UT3 map.
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby Chrustec on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:45 am

Hey Vilham, you don't need to de-compile maps in UT. All you need to do is open the *.UT3 file from the maps directory and you will be able to looks and see how it was done :)
Kind Regards,

Christopher [Chrustec] Glerum
http://www.chrustec.net
Past Project - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30060
viewtopic.php?p=296414#296414
Chrustec
Regular
Regular

Postby Vilham on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:21 am

O right. That's fucking epic. I assumed the whole cooked/uncooked thing meant compiled or non-compiled.

Ill definitely take a look then and do some research on actor factories.
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby pk_hunter on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Every time I see this thread on the main page I wish it were "Complex Manatee Sequences." Now there's a topic of discussion.
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Return to UnrealEd Help