Unreal Engine 3 Games with Editor Access

Help and discussion relating to UnrealEd and the UDK

Unreal Engine 3 Games with Editor Access

Postby Mr. Happy on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:20 pm

So you want to make Unreal maps, but the idea of starting from near scratch with the UDK is overwhelming. Or perhaps you are simply curious which Unreal Engine games give you editor access? Let's compile a list!

  • Gears of War
  • Brothers in Arms Games
    1. Hell's Highway
  • Mirror's Edge
    1. Unofficial; Requires extra steps
  • Roboblitz
  • SAW
    1. Unofficial; Requires extra steps
    2. Unreal Tournament 3
      1. Can be transferred to PS3




This is off the top of my head and I don't know if there are more so post them and I will update it! Also, I don't know but perhaps all PC Unreal 3 games can have editor access with workarounds?
Last edited by Mr. Happy on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
-You've just been happified!?
User avatar
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™
 
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:20 am
Location: Flyin' thru "da cloud" in the MotherShip

Re: Unreal Engine 3 Games with Editor Access

Postby Spike on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:46 pm

Bioshock?
User avatar
Spike
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills
 
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:10 pm

Re: Unreal Engine 3 Games with Editor Access

Postby srredfire on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:32 am

All these were tested with the launch command, "editor" in attempt to start up the editor. There may be other ways of launching them with a work around, but with the basic way of starting it up, these are what work and what don't work from my personal library of games.

Works:

SAW works, but alas unofficial and missing some elements like Mirrors Edge, but still functional.

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway launches fine, not sure of functionality in the editor, but fist glance looks like it works.

Don't work:

All Points Bulletin ignores it.

America's Army 3.0 ignores it.

Batman: Arkham Asylum ignores the start up command and just goes to the launcher.

Bioshock ignores it. (Technically not really UE3 anyways)

Bioshock 2 ignores it.

Blacklight: Tango Down gives the error, "Editor not supported in this mode."

Borderlands ignores it.

Damnation tries to start up, but crashes.

Mass Effect ignores it.

Mass Effect 2 ignores it.

Medal of Honor ignores it.

Moonbase Alpha ignores it.

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 starts up the splash screen, but stops with an errors saying, "You are not running the editor from X:\Perforce, this may lead to problems. Please update your shortcut. The editor will be closed. If you have any question, contact Bruce Bellavance." Obviously an in-house dev notice which never got taken out.

Rise of the Argonauts makes the UnrealEd splash screen come up, but crashes.

The Ball gives the error, "Editor not supported in this mode."




So as you can see not many games, at least from my selection work. There are still a ton of games that can be tested if anyone has them, and they're on this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... l_Engine_3

Like I said maybe some of these have work arounds, but I've not researched into any.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by srredfire on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:44 pm

Re: Unreal Engine 3 Games with Editor Access

Postby poisonic on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:27 am

a bit weird question why is bioshock,bioshock2,bioshock infinite under engine 3 on wiki in that list you provided?
[img:400]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/poisonic.png[/img]
User avatar
poisonic
Pheropod
Pheropod
 
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Unreal Engine 3 Games with Editor Access

Postby srredfire on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:25 am

poisonic wrote:a bit weird question why is bioshock,bioshock2,bioshock infinite under engine 3 on wiki in that list you provided?


I don't know. Technically if I remember correctly they run on a heavily modified Unreal Engine 2.5, with fragments of Unreal Engine 3. I didn't write the list so I'm not sure why it's there. I suppose it didn't have anywhere else to be, so.
User avatar
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:44 pm

Re: Unreal Engine 3 Games with Editor Access

Postby Dr. Delta on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:36 am

srredfire wrote:All these were tested with the launch command, "editor" in attempt to start up the editor. There may be other ways of launching them with a work around, but with the basic way of starting it up, these are what work and what don't work from my personal library of games.

Works:

SAW works, but alas unofficial and missing some elements like Mirrors Edge, but still functional.

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway launches fine, not sure of functionality in the editor, but fist glance looks like it works.

Don't work:

All Points Bulletin ignores it.

America's Army 3.0 ignores it.

Batman: Arkham Asylum ignores the start up command and just goes to the launcher.

Bioshock ignores it. (Technically not really UE3 anyways)

Bioshock 2 ignores it.

Blacklight: Tango Down gives the error, "Editor not supported in this mode."

Borderlands ignores it.

Damnation tries to start up, but crashes.

Mass Effect ignores it.

Mass Effect 2 ignores it.

Medal of Honor ignores it.

Moonbase Alpha ignores it.

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 starts up the splash screen, but stops with an errors saying, "You are not running the editor from X:\Perforce, this may lead to problems. Please update your shortcut. The editor will be closed. If you have any question, contact Bruce Bellavance." Obviously an in-house dev notice which never got taken out.

Rise of the Argonauts makes the UnrealEd splash screen come up, but crashes.

The Ball gives the error, "Editor not supported in this mode."




So as you can see not many games, at least from my selection work. There are still a ton of games that can be tested if anyone has them, and they're on this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... l_Engine_3

Like I said maybe some of these have work arounds, but I've not researched into any.

Hope this helps.


Add Gears of War to that list guy-who-ignores-me-on-steam
User avatar
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: People's Republic of Porygon

Re: Unreal Engine 3 Games with Editor Access

Postby Mr. Happy on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:22 am

Wow srredfire thanks, you are awesome!
Sorry I fogot about this thread for a little while there.
Image
-You've just been happified!?
User avatar
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™
 
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:20 am
Location: Flyin' thru "da cloud" in the MotherShip

Re: Unreal Engine 3 Games with Editor Access

Postby nub on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:47 am

srredfire wrote:
poisonic wrote:a bit weird question why is bioshock,bioshock2,bioshock infinite under engine 3 on wiki in that list you provided?


I don't know. Technically if I remember correctly they run on a heavily modified Unreal Engine 2.5, with fragments of Unreal Engine 3. I didn't write the list so I'm not sure why it's there. I suppose it didn't have anywhere else to be, so.


That's true, however Bioshock Infinite is being developed on a modified UE3 if I recall (it definitely looks like it in the gameplay at least). I originally thought Bioshock 1 and 2 ran on UE3 until like 5 months ago. I felt so stupid when I finally found out it was a modified version of UE2.5.
User avatar
nub
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:11 am
Location: Charlotte, NC, US

Return to UnrealEd Help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users