Question About UnrealEditor

Help and discussion relating to UnrealEd and the UDK

Question About UnrealEditor

Postby kirby2112 on Thu May 17, 2012 3:14 pm

Is unreal editor at all similar to 3ds max in the way it handles brushwork? I have quite a bit of experience in MAX, but the hammer editor is to time consuming for me to use. What's UE like?
"I know the second I turn around, he's going to get up. He didn't do it. He didn't do it again. Maybe he's dead? OHHHHHHHHHHHSHIIIIITTTTDAMN HE'SNOTDEADFUCK"
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Re: Question About UnrealEditor

Postby Stormy on Fri May 18, 2012 5:32 am

UE uses a builder brush, which I find quite unintuitive. You have an empty cube that you can manipulate and then when it is to the scal/shape/location you need, you select to either add or subtract from the surrounding world. This means that you can either add a brush like in hammer, or you can add a "subtractive" brush, which deletes all brushwork that intersects with it. It's a pretty neat system, but subtractive brushwork isn't really heavily used. If you go into brush wireframe mode you can see all the additive and subtractive brushes you have created and you soon notice that they build up if not used carefully, which I assume impacts compile time (which is called build lighting in UDK) rather than in-game performance.

I think UDK is much more mesh based than source, which is the biggest difference. It means you need a lot more content, rather than being able to work on a map by yourself, which is the case for source.

As for brushwork in MAX... what? Max has BSP brushwork or some similar form of mesh manipulation? This concept never even occured to me. What a backwards way to make a model, whith brush-like tools...
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: Question About UnrealEditor

Postby kirby2112 on Fri May 18, 2012 7:22 am

Black_Stormy wrote: This concept never even occured to me. What a backwards way to make a model, whith brush-like tools...

That's me! Backasswards.
"I know the second I turn around, he's going to get up. He didn't do it. He didn't do it again. Maybe he's dead? OHHHHHHHHHHHSHIIIIITTTTDAMN HE'SNOTDEADFUCK"
kirby2112
Regular
Regular

Return to UnrealEd Help