Wigbig's WIP thread

Wigbig's WIP thread

Postby Wigbig on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:55 am

I will be working on a headcrab factory/ canister manufacturing plant. Not the most original idea but it appeals to me and should be some fun.

Ideas so far -

*Gordon arrives via teleportation
*Most of the facility is underground (You will probably only see the surface through a few holes
*The facility is possibly overrun, the Combine have no control over it anymore
*Gameplay could involve having no weapons (or very limited ammo and weapons), just the HEV suit, while having to avoid hazards and headcrabs
*Main objective will be to get to the surface, where the teleporter can regain signal strength or something (not sure how kleiner's teleporter works in HL2)
Wigbig
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Wigbig's WIP thread

Postby Wigbig on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:09 am

Decided not to go for the headcrab canister factory since I have no experience with creating Combine structures, so I'm just going to make a lab-ish sort of place of unknown purpose. I am using some BMS models and materials at the moment but I'll probably try and replace what I don't really need with HL2 stuff later on.

Starting room:

Second room:

Some Hammer views:

Wigbig
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Wigbig's WIP thread

Postby ThePain on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:49 am

You're really going to not want to worry about lighting or really even textures till you have the entire layout and scripting done. Make sure the level plays well before worrying about themes or extra details. If you do all this detail work, then realize the room serves no purpose, or you just hate the pacing of the level later you're going to kick yourself for wasting so much time detailing it.

Like take a look here viewtopic.php?p=504998#p504998

His only lighting is the sun and some white lights placed around just to lighten indoor areas. Just about all of his textures are orange and grey dev textures. He's done some brushwork, but he's also pretty far into his design.
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to WIP Entries