Stimor's WIP thread

Stimor's WIP thread

Postby Stimor on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:22 pm

What i would if i could but won't if i don't:

I figure it might be an interesting location to try the less seen rural areas around c17, slightly ambitious because it is going to be harder to border outside areas for the player and the displacement work will take many, many hours (but i like making them!)

My current plans for it is to have a bit of a "centerpiece" of a large windmill with a few surrounding buildings. Such requires some fields near it, not accessible by the player though and a lake should border the map on one side, giving nice visuals of forests in the horizon.

I did draw a design with ideas that limit the map size down pretty well with a few gimmicks so it wont take a duke nukem forever to finish but if it all fails, it's at least fun to try i guess.

Not in it to win, but for the experience :<
Last edited by Stimor on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stimor
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Stimor's WIP thread

Postby [KIRBY] on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:06 pm

I doubt anyone is here to win, personally I am in because I did not complete a single map in a long time.

also two things for you:
1. map does not have to take place in same country as C17 (somewhere in eastern europe)
2. block out EVERYTHING before you start working with displacements, you don't want to waste precious time on displacement work if your map plays badly
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby Stimor on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:12 pm

[KIRBY] wrote:I doubt anyone is here to win, personally I am in because I did not complete a single map in a long time.

also two things for you:
1. map does not have to take place in same country as C17 (somewhere in eastern europe)
2. block out EVERYTHING before you start working with displacements, you don't want to waste precious time on displacement work if your map plays badly

Ah yes, i did think i would make a brush version with placeholder buildings and windmill just to see out the size and gameplay + map limits
Stimor
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby ErikKiller on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:40 am

[KIRBY] wrote:if your map plays badly

Especially if you're thinking about having huge open areas, like fields, you're gonna have a bad time.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Stimor on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:22 pm

ErikKiller wrote:
[KIRBY] wrote:if your map plays badly

Especially if you're thinking about having huge open areas, like fields, you're gonna have a bad time.

Yes, that would be but the map won't be too large for my own comfort and what comes to the fields, they are outside the play area and only a glimpse will be caught if they will show at all (I have difficulty imagining how to make them). I just feel they are necessary to exist in the vicinity of the windmill because of what the purpose of a windmill is.
Stimor
Dumpling
Dumpling

Return to WIP Entries