Jimonion's WIP thread

Jimonion's WIP thread

Postby jimonions on Fri May 09, 2014 2:58 am

Hey everyone, I've been locked out of my account for a while but I've been working on my entry steadily. Thanks to Simon I'm up again.

Story
My story takes place in an abandoned combine water processing plant on a bleak coastline.
Gordon's suit has been temporarily disabled due to the malfunction and is stranded near the facility. He must make his way inside to find a way to escape while avoiding the dangers he must face along the way.

Gameplay
Gameplay is mostly going to be stealth and simple puzzle solving with an epic finale. all story takes place inside with only a short outside section for the beginning.
I know its a level design competition but I'll also try making it look as good as possible with what limited time we have.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Updates
__________________________________________________________________________________________

5/8/14
Here are some WIP screens, I forgot to get rid of the crosshair. Any custom assets have been created since the start of the competition in line with the rules. I prefer working on both assets and level design, in a way it helps me figure out exactly what I really have to make and what I don't, also helps when there are no placeholder props that fit in.

compression causes these pics to look brighter/darker than they really are.

I'm debating the potential use for carefully placed projected textures. I don't know how well they work for non HDR capable users, but If the majority are ok with it then I think I will proceed with using them. There are a few parts in which they will come very in handy. Let me know what you think.

5/31/14

About 75% through the level design. This map is way too big I might just have to cut it in half or I may never get to properly refine everything before the deadline. If it comes to that then none of the areas in my first update will make it in. Its been really tough trying to do both this and schoolwork, most of these screenshots area areas which I did in about 1-2 days during what free time I had. Honestly I should be done with the entire level and doing my in depth art pass by now.
Chances are I may be hitting the func_detail limit soon and will have to convert a lot of temporary brushwork into models. The file size may be quite large but I've tried to keep the custom stuff to as low as possible reusing stuff as much as possible or hacking around with re purposed default models.
Here's some screen showing some areas later in the level, some still very much in wip. Its been a bit tough trying to come up with a unique setup for each area. I want the combine built areas to have a more sci fi look but still retain combine elements. Let me know if you have any questions or crits.

6/20/14

Been going through parts of the map fixing many various things and refining the layout and environment interactions. There are some things that definitely wont be completed in time but there's not much I can do about. You may see some parts looking bare or simple / uninteresting. Hopefully the more refined areas can make up for it. Some of the areas in the wip pics above are outdated but are mostly the same. All my time is being devoted towards any scripting and gameplay.

The last room layout was a huge problem for me which is why I left it for the very end to think over . It needed to be very epic and climactic. there was a big clash between looks and play-ability. I eventually decided to sacrifice some game play in favour of looking better since I know what I can do best.
Also since I was running out of time I streamlined model creation by taking apart various other combine models and used basic construction shapes along with parts on a single big texture sheet to create the models you can see in the last room wip picture below. The quality as pretty horrid in some places, but it gets the point across.

[spoilers] This pic is in a link since it is the last room WIP but you can view it if you really want to.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Aj2U ... _10003.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XrWx ... _10004.jpg

6/25/14

Thanks everyone for the support/feedback.
I've played a couple of mods to study how they did things in lieu for this competition and Mission Improbable was by far the best.
Everything in working order. The map is playable and I've got my setup for easy custom vpk installation. Going through some last few edits and tweaking.
Also testing out current build with a few people to catch all the smaller things I might have missed or improve playability where needed.

I feel like some of my entity setups are done wrong, I've never done any linear level design so my knowledge of how exactly things are done this way isn't that broad. I will probably include the vmf on release to get more feedback under the hood.
Last edited by jimonions on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Re: Jimonion's WIP thread

Postby Tabe on Fri May 09, 2014 4:00 pm

*Looses breath*

FUCKING AMAZING! The screenies are simply incredible! I'm going to follow this thread like a hawk!
Tabe
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby PIZZAMANJESUS on Fri May 09, 2014 11:00 pm

Those textures are great, and I'm digging the support bracket(?) models(?) a lot. You're really making the Source Engine shine!
PIZZAMANJESUS
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby nub on Sat May 10, 2014 2:58 am

I vote for Jimonions.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ade on Mon May 12, 2014 10:40 am

dem photoshop skills :D
love the projected shadows
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby jimonions on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:59 am

op update:

5/31/14

About 75% through the level design. This map is way too big I might just have to cut it in half or I may never get to properly refine everything before the deadline. If it comes to that then none of the areas in my first update will make it in. Its been really tough trying to do both this and schoolwork, most of these screenshots area areas which I did in about 1-2 days during what free time I had. Honestly I should be done with the entire level and doing my in depth art pass by now.
Chances are I may be hitting the func_detail limit soon and will have to convert a lot of temporary brushwork into models. The file size may be quite large but I've tried to keep the custom stuff to as low as possible reusing stuff as much as possible or hacking around with re purposed default models.
Here's some screen showing some areas later in the level, some still very much in wip. Its been a bit tough trying to come up with a unique setup for each area. I want the combine built areas to have a more sci fi look but still retain combine elements. Let me know if you have any questions or crits.

jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby Ade on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:02 pm

Don't forget about gameplay. Last screenie is looking mighty nice, I love any twist of the combine architecture.
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby Riomaki on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:23 pm

It looks fantastic, although it's not until the last couple screens that I get a distinct Half-Life vibe. It looks like another game until that point, with the Combine logo on the walls the only indication that it's not. And like Ade said, I"m not really feeling the gameplay in these spaces. My impression based on those screens is that it's way too claustrophobic and narrow for meaningful combat.

But as I said, it looks fantastic. I especially like the shadow work and the whole thing has a dreary moodiness to it.
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Postby jimonions on Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:29 pm

Combat is not the main focus, I wanted to stay away from the usual shooting routine and save it for the end. It would probably make more sense if I explained everything but that would give everything away. Rest assured I do have gameplay planned out and in working order. Action packed is not what I would label this.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby jimonions on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:32 am

op update:

6/20/14

Been going through parts of the map fixing many various things and refining the layout and environment interactions. There are some things that definitely wont be completed in time but there's not much I can do about. You may see some parts looking bare or simple / uninteresting. Hopefully the more refined areas can make up for it. Some of the areas in the wip pics above are outdated but are mostly the same. All my time is being devoted towards any scripting and gameplay.

The last room layout was a huge problem for me which is why I left it for the very end to think over . It needed to be very epic and climactic. there was a big clash between looks and play-ability. I eventually decided to sacrifice some game play in favour of looking better since I know what I can do best.
Also since I was running out of time I streamlined model creation by taking apart various other combine models and used basic construction shapes along with parts on a single big texture sheet to create the models you can see in the last room wip picture below. The quality as pretty horrid in some places, but it gets the point across.

[spoilers] This pic is in a link since it is the last room WIP but you can view it if you really want to.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Aj2U ... _10003.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XrWx ... _10004.jpg
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby Ade on Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:46 am

Mission Improbable 3? :D Bear in mind gameplay doesn't mean JUST combat, if you manage to give the player something to do from time to time, to keep him busy, and not just make him look at things, you're half way there. The visuals will take care of the rest. Can't wait for those 'environment interactions'!
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:21 pm

It's looking good, Jim. I'm interested to see what the whole thing's about since you've only briefly described the gameplay.

The last room looks pretty good in my opinion. It's not the most detailed, but the atmosphere is sexy as always.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jimonions on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:38 pm

update:

6/25/14

Thanks everyone for the support/feedback.
I've played a couple of mods to study how they did things in lieu for this competition and Mission Improbable was by far the best.
Everything in working order. The map is playable and I've got my setup for easy custom vpk installation. Going through some last few edits and tweaking.
Also testing out current build with a few people to catch all the smaller things I might have missed or improve playability where needed.

I feel like some of my entity setups are done wrong, I've never done any linear level design so my knowledge of how exactly things are done this way isn't that broad. I will probably include the vmf on release to get more feedback under the hood.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby Riomaki on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:53 pm

As far as I'm concerned, Mission Improbable is the best SP mod. You picked your study material well. :)
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:19 pm

Riomaki wrote:As far as I'm concerned, Mission Improbable is the best SP mod. You picked your study material well. :)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/research-and-development
Debatable. But I digress.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to WIP Entries