Michael Z's WIP Entry

Michael Z's WIP Entry

Postby Michael Z. on Tue May 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi!

Please tell me if my idea is allowed in the CFontest:

If it has to be a teleporter that gets Gordon in the situation, why not using a teleporter to get him out again. So: why not the old hl1 teleporter or at least another on in a more experimental stage?

Story is short: Gordon gets teleported to an old teleporterroom similar to the one he used in HL 1 ( Black Mesa). But it's abandonment, in an earlier stage and also broken. He only has a chance to flee by repairing and reactivating the teleporter itself. After activating and using the teleporter, Gordon will come back to doctor Kleiner's lab or at least behind the glass.

Soo my question before i get my hands dirty. Ok? Allowed?

€dit:
Gordon is and always will be Gordon ... :oops:
Last edited by Michael Z. on Tue May 13, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Z.

Re: Michael Z's WIP Entry

Postby LordDz on Tue May 13, 2014 2:50 pm

It should be ok as long as the brushes are made by you, as in that you don't decompile Hl2's first map and use the teleporter that's in it.

And Gordon is called Gordon.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Major Banter on Tue May 13, 2014 3:35 pm

I suppose the issue is "Your level must bet set in a new location but stay true to the half-life 2 style.(If your not sure if your level fits ask on the forums! [sic]"

Personally, while I'm a little shaky about the whole Black Mesa aspect, if you're basing it off of a whole new section then it's workable. I would say that there's such a thing as Black Mesa East, and while it's a nostalgia name, I don't think anybody would judge you for having Black Mesa Testing Facility or some shit. It's a sprawling facility and a sprawling company, and your idea is fine. Unshackle yourself from Black Mesa's own quantum test facility and you might be onto something.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ThePain on Thu May 15, 2014 1:17 am

The Black Mesa Facility was nuked at the end of Opposing Forces, so if you're doing an old Black Mesa style building you'll want to make sure to let the player know it's not actually Black Mesa.

Unless you want Gordon to also be going back in time. Which would be neat, but a massive amount of extra work.

Or make it obvious the place was nuked. Massive hole ripped in the side of the facility from the crater, debris everywhere, puzzles involving jumping from ledge to ledge and I-beam to avoid falling into a chasm with destroyed facility below....
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Michael Z. on Thu May 15, 2014 9:44 am

If you find any spelling or grammar errors pleases inform me via pm. Thanks.

Well i thought a bit and iterated the story. So if you want to play the scene without spoilers, i advice to stop reading any further.

Background: Not only Black Mesa and Aperture Science were working on a working teleporter but also a company in the northern region of Asia tried their best. The facility is located deep in a Mountain complex to ensure privacy. Nearby there is a dam for the huge amount of electricity needed to operate the complex.

Storyline:
Gordon gets teleported in this Facility after Kleiner's failed teleportation test to Black Mesa East. The place is deserted for several years. The Celling is broken. Only a long, broken airvent illuminates the control-room. The only thing Freeman can see is a slow pulsing red light far back in the room. So he tries to reach the light without any weapons.

- skipping the puzzle and exploration-

After activating the button, the facility's emergency power supply kicks in. The monitors tells Freeman that this is indeed a teleportation test facility and the teleporter itself dosen't have enough power to operate. So Freeman follows the power cables up an broken elevator to the top. He finds himself in a very narrow valley nearby a dam with the power grid turned off. Some headcrab shells were on the ground (yay some fighting).

- skipping again-

He activates the turbine and connects some cable to redirect power to the spoken facility. The way is blocked so his only chance is to jump in a maintenance duct of a broken turbine to find himself in the Water trying to escape the currents.

-skip again-

He finds the broken duct leading to the control-room, ...

Well thats it right now. Any comments?
Michael Z.

Postby Michael Z. on Wed May 28, 2014 12:28 am

Michael Z.

Postby Armageddon on Thu May 29, 2014 5:41 am

It's lookin' really nice. Keep it goin'. Do it, do it, do it, do it.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Michael Z. on Thu May 29, 2014 1:17 pm

I found a style I like. This Scene is lacking of details, Fog, physics props and overlays. Its only a test to find the right visual style for my tunnels.

Attachments
2014-05-29_00004.jpg
(362.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Michael Z.

Postby Ade on Fri May 30, 2014 11:40 am

2nd steam community screenshot looks like you're trying some 3D optical illusion, must be the checkered floor :P But it is slightly different from what I see in this last pic? The center in the upper part of the arc, looks cut or with a hole, as if you split the original arc and used same half twice, if that makes any sense. Loving the floor in it though.
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby Michael Z. on Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Updatetime. most of the puzzles are still missing but thats my mistake. i like the design phase a bit more so i often set the "lame" stuff at the end. i know my workflow is flawed because every change i make in the end can result in mayor optical changes :-(

Attachments
7.jpg
(374.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
4.jpg
(355.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
5.jpg
(268.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2.jpg
(485.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
1.jpg
(490.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Michael Z.

Postby Riomaki on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:05 pm

Off the top of my head, I'd say some of these rooms look absolutely enormous. You need to get some enemies running around in there to see how well it plays and, in particular, if there's a need for more cover from hitscan enemies.

I like the elevator shaft. For the dam shot, I'd have to strongly recommend playing with the texture scale to make the concrete elements look less repetitive. It's a very large surface to cover. :smt045
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Postby Michael Z. on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:08 pm

props, enemys, details missing and it looks enormous because it simply is enormous.
Michael Z.

Postby Ade on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:28 pm

There's nothing wrong with enormous structures, as long as he's willing to put in the extra effort and still deliver 10m of gameplay, and as long as he can get away with it, texture wise. Atm indeed the repetitive textures look so and so...
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby Michael Z. on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:29 pm

its still frustrating to map a map this large. i wasted a whole weekend for the startroom and it basicly looks the same ...

well still a little update a new Model:

Attachments
2014-06-19_00001.jpg
(348.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2014-06-19_00002.jpg
(309.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Michael Z.

Postby DrAddicted on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:15 am

That model looks GREAT! I tried to build something like this for a tunnel by myself in hammer with a LOT of func_details, but it didn't work in the end because there were do many different angles of brushes... are only the outcoming trusses the model or the tunnelwall too? because if it isn't you could get very nice looking shadows from your trusses on the tunnelwall!
DrAddicted

Next

Return to WIP Entries