Sarwia's WIP thread

Sarwia's WIP thread

Postby Sarwia on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Jumping in on this a bit late, but exams had to come first.

My plan for this map is that Gordon - somewhere along his journey - gets trapped in one of City17's old metro stations. The objective is simple - get topside. I'm planning on making it easier said than done.

I started on this map yesterday, so all I've got so far is a rough draft of the feel/style I'm going for.

Sarwia

Re: Sarwia's WIP thread

Postby Ade on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:43 am

So far so good IMO except that ray of sunshine looks more like a steam shower.
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby [Steve] on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:19 am

Hey , looking good Sarwia! Creepy, dark and moody. Maybe add some variation to those posters?
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Wigbig on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:36 pm

The area near the volumetric light should be lit up more i think, because at the moment it doesn't look as if there is any change in the dark lighting, apart from that all is good!
Wigbig
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Riomaki on Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:41 pm

You probably know this already, but you can make that volumetric light into a prop_dynamic and adjust its Render Mode and FX Color so it's not pure white. :smt045

The rest looks very downtrodden. I like your texture choices. The tile walls look nice. 8)
Riomaki
Regular
Regular

Postby Sarwia on Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:31 pm

A minor update on the metro station.

Thanks for the comments. I'm working on getting the lighting right as I don't want it to be too much light.

Sarwia

Postby Sarwia on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:10 pm

Here's an update. I've got most of the layout done (and then some) and now I'm just focusing on the area where the big battle is taking place. I've gone for battle in my submission, but there's a few basic puzzles in there.

Sarwia

Postby Ade on Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:49 am

Breaking floors AND ceilings! Nice layout you got there.
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby Sarwia on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:37 am

Okay, so all the geometry is in place. I've got most of the enemies and scripting in place. There's a few areas I'd like to add stuff to but I'm afraid it'll be too much. There's a few kink with some of the input commands which I need to fix. I've rarely worked so much with the I/O system in the past and it's proven a handful.

Here's a few new pictures. Gordon stumbles across a Combine transport hub halfway through the map and battle ensues.

Sarwia

Postby DrAddicted on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:01 pm

Although your Brushwork is excellent, I think your lighting is a tiny bit too flat! You should use some more different lightcolors, for example red lights for ventilation shafts or a more blue-ish light for your flourescent lights and a warm light for normal light bulbs and calm situations. Also you should decreese your lightmaps a bit for interesting shadows!
Those combine handrails look interesting and stairs do so too. It might look even better then, but never the less, it allready looks very good.
DrAddicted

Postby Ade on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:54 pm

Love the outside area in the last pic. Hope you finish in time to submit.
Ade
Regular
Regular

Return to WIP Entries