Sarwia's final submission

Sarwia's final submission

Postby Sarwia on Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:59 pm

A Freeman Apart

After the teleport malfunction, Gordon finds himself trapped in a Combine-controlled metro station nearby Dr. Kleiner's lab.

DOWNLOAD
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2j4q1 ... a_comp.rar
Last edited by Sarwia on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarwia

Re: Sarwia's final submission

Postby Sarwia on Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:03 pm

Download link is up! :)
Sarwia

Postby Gambini on Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:18 pm

Gonna give it a go, so far all entries seem promising!
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Gambini on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:03 am

Good work too. This map has good architecture and neat ideas but could have used more lighting work among other improvements. Some corners were too dark and some combat settings a bit akward.

If you allow me, I´d suggest to give it a small revision, here are a few things you could do to improve it:

Highlight to read:
-For the godrays use additive render mode and set the alpha value to something around 10-15, it looks much softer and realistic that way. You can even set the color to match your envlight, but darken the values to something very close to black or it won´t look well.

- Use a palid color fog to attenuate the darkness. Relatively thick fog will give depth to dark areas. If you are worried about the exteriors looking ugly with the fog you can use triggers to alter its value.

-When the elevator goes down in the combine compound, soldiers will run at you giving you no time or room to fight them, but then their bodies will clip the elevator´s floor.

- The RPG is given to you in the middle of a tough firefight, I personally used it to kill the elite combines and then had no ammo to take down the gunship. I saw a crate of missiles at the bottom of the catwalk, but i had not enough healthh to make the fall. This killed progress as I couldnt do anything else. I suggest you to either move the crate upstairs or make the door where the RPG was openable and make a path to where the crate is.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby marnamai on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:25 am

Here are some of the points that I didn't like about the map. Pacing and health/ammo distribution could use a lot of work.

Highlight to read:
- the barnacle sewer area felt very hard to navigate, almost frustrating, constantly stopping for barnacles and sliding off the pipes
- press door button => receive rpg? that was weird
- wasn't certain I had to backtrack (didn't see the way down at the balcony), felt lost
- backtracked fired rockets at gunship, ran out of ammo, got killed
- eventually noticed I could jump over the railing, received damage while allready on low health :/
- after the jump you throw more combines at me, the prior fight was allready pretty brutal, I could have used an oppertunity to restock on health and ammo
- got killed various times by the machine gunner due to low health, kept backtracking to the rpg crate and eventually killed them all
- jumped over the trainwreck and got stuck (barrel at lambda sign)
- invisible wall at the end breaks immersion, better to fade it out a little sooner?
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Major Banter on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:11 pm

I've given your map a playthrough Sarwia and I agree with the above comments. Once the results are released I will let you know my thoughts and feelings on it.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sarwia on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far. A few of the things you guys mention I'm quite aware of, but some of them I've never really considered. Great advices to help me fine-tune this map later on. :)
Sarwia

Postby Jim_Partridge on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:15 pm

why... for the love of god would you use this file hosting service.. it instantly changed my browser search option and other horrid malicious things... use mediafire... pleasssse!
Jim_Partridge

Postby Jim_Partridge on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:17 pm

and a bunch of malware!!!!

thanks for that!
Jim_Partridge

Postby Ade on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:26 am

You must've clicked on some weird Ad? I've been using sendspace for years now and never had 1 issue. Just press 'Click here to start download from sendspace'?

I also recommend using Firefox as a browser, with an addon called Adblock Plus (there's a version for Chrome as well...).
Last edited by Ade on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby Gambini on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:11 pm

For the record, when I tried to download this map from Sendspace Avira reported it was infected with ADWARE/InstallRex.Gen. I know the acronym gen means a generic pattern but still.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby jimonions on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:00 am

I got the same infection warning with AVG.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby Ade on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:14 am

I just tried it at work with Kaspersky and no issues... (and at home Nod32 never cried about sendspace files)
How many times have your antiviruses given false warnings, guys?

EDIT: here is direct link in case you're clicking on some random Ad instead: https://fs08n2.sendspace.com/dl/97ddb35 ... a_comp.rar
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby Spas12 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:59 pm

Please use another host...
Past Treyarch Level Designer

Portfolio
Spas12
Veteran
Veteran