Jimonion's Final

Jimonion's Final

Postby jimonions on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:26 am

Here it is.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yq45u ... s_comp.rar

Heres the VMF: http://www.mediafire.com/download/yigxo ... onions.rar

I cant seem to get my new game menu to show up with the proper title. Right now it looks like #Jimonions_comp_Chapter1_Title. Dont know what I'm doing wrong.

Everything else is in working order.
Last edited by jimonions on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Re: Jimonion's Final

Postby Les_Grossman on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Well, that escalated quickly ;)

Lovely visuals, awesome lighting. Clever (not) use of flashlight.
I loved the the first half of the map, the second puzzle with the barrel took me awhile.
The second part was veeeryyy intense.
Highlight to read:
But the Zombine room... run Forest run! That was my first reaction (and it was proper). I almost did it at first time but at the end I close myself with one zombine ;)

I found 2 bugs:
- most ladders won't detach player when u press use key.
- in the area with the barrel puzzle, the second elevator (with boxes) has invisible step that blocks you from inside (u have to jump to exit this elevator). Not big of a problem since you shouldn't even go there.

Great work.
Les_Grossman

Postby Major Banter on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:21 pm

Messy file structure, tut tut. You've left screenshots and save files in there, FYI.

edit; I've also given it a playthrough, and I will let you know my thoughts and feelings when the results are released.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jimonions on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:51 pm

Good to hear Les Grossman. A few of my playtesters didn't understand the need to run during that part.

I don't understand what you mean by messy file structure, could you be more specific?
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:22 pm

When I say file structure what I mean is just leftover content; in this case the screenshot and save folders. Wrong terminology, my bad.

99% of people will never know it's there, and it's largely not an issue, but it's worth that extra five minutes to double-check everything before uploading.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jimonions on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:23 pm

Haha right my bad I made a mental note and actually got rid of it but forgot to rezip. There's also a few unused textures which didn't make it. BTW anyone can use the content in here if they want.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby Armageddon on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:51 pm

How did you warp the vignette at the end when the screen is white? Also you should really use BGRA8888 compression when importing gradient textures into Source like the vignette overlay, it removes banding which was pretty bad.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby jimonions on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:42 pm

Gotcha, I knew I was importing it wrong but didn't know how to fix it.

The end sequence I removed the vigenetter then used a series of env_fade's, about 3 just for that sequence. At the peak of the white fade when teleporting out I moved the player to a black room and stripped all his weapons and hev suit before using another env_fade to return to normal view which in this case is completely black. no weapons showing up in what should be a completely black screen.

Also forgot to include vmf, updated op with another link for vmf.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby greenman on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:29 pm

Highlight to read:
I hate Zombines. That room where they all jump up soon after the door closes behind you. I hate you so much.

Translation: Beautiful looking map, really well done on that. Honestly I don't remember much of the gameplay, I had fun playing it but that's all. (Still that's a plus point).
Hope to see more from you.
greenman
Regular
Regular

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:37 pm

The map is pretty amazing. I have always been a fan of your work and considering the time pressure and gameplay requirement, this is right on par with your set pieces.

Highlight to read:
The ending was nearly impossible for me to survive on hard mode. this is one of the rare instances where i had to turn it down to normal, and then all the way down to easy. i played through the battle on two different playthroughs and got the same level of uber-difficulty. the battlefield is good and i would be just fine with all of it but the relentlessly high manhack population (without gravity gun to boot) made it nearly impossible for me to take cover.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Spas12 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:33 pm

Download works but .rar wont open...
Past Treyarch Level Designer

Portfolio
Spas12
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Vicpop on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:49 pm

Really cool map. I like the idea of combat situations where you don't have a choice but to find a way to escape. Original puzzle ideas

I also had difficulty with the final battle. I found a barrier you can hide behind where the initial wave of zombines won't detect you, so you can just wait it out. The second wave of zombines spots you but the turrets and combine pop up pretty soon after so all the enemies are kept distracted with each other for the most part. I think the main issue with the ending arena is that it's too cramped and the player is too exposed for the amount of enemies that are being spawned. It crossed the line between high pressure and spammy. Nice effects

My only other real complaint is that it was too dark. I get that it was dark for a reason but a little more ambient light would have helped with making sense of where I was in some parts.
Vicpop
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby jimonions on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:11 am

I completely forgot about difficulty settings. Mine is usually just set to easy since I never use npcs. It makes sense now why so many people were having trouble with that part.

A lot of the AI inputs I used didn't seem to work or just have no effect. I never worked with AI until this map save for simple spawning stuff. I also found that hiding behind a barrier would lead to the zombines not finding you at all but was unable to fix it.

I never intended the ending to play out the way it is now. I didn't have the time to fully implement what I really wanted, that with the exhausting ai behaviour I tried dumbing it down to something much more simple. Looking back It would make more sense to concentrate all my effort with the last part first then finish all the filler after.

@Spas. I don't think I can help you there.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby Ade on Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:12 pm

Weird, my post didn't show up so here are my thoughts again:
- node graph out of date msg
- why is there the Valve logo in the beginning?
- nice way to remove the HEV by using the no power sound, and good to hear the teleport sound as well, few decided to fit the theme by putting something so simple in the beginning
- going back with a flare reveals black wall, why not make a higher point of entry so I can't go back to it
- the levels seem to have a little light in them but no visible light source/fixture
- 2 autosave leftovers tsk
- had to restart game since first time I tried pushing the elevator button I must've missed and so I moved to the side while pressing it again, then the door came up and left me on the outside, and thought I broke the game
- 2nd time through I see it's supposed to do that, but to me it makes no sense; I mean when the player sees buttons and an elevator, he expects a way out, not to enclose himself in that area
- the switches make locked door noise heh
- now the custom textures look a lot better under some light!
- not sure what I'm supposed to blow up in the dispenser area, plus I can break the dispenser by trying to grab the barrel instead of letting it being pushed out
- I wouldn't've noticed the hole in the wall if Marnamai hadn't told me, and the next puzzle is not obvious in a million years! the cover for the ladder in no way does it look like it's supposed to be blown up, and we need a giant noobish stracking puzzle in order to do it? Naww, man... I don't care about looks if gameplay is so low; noclipped, which is very rare for me because triggers can be broken like this
- in the next area again I have no idea what to do and pressing Use on the ladder one time made the sound of a valve turning; looking around more, I see the valve on the pipe, but it has to be more obvious than that, specially when using so many custom content. There's a reason why they are red in the game, or cranks and wheels being orange: to stand out, for Pete's sake.
- ladder after ladder after ladder followed by tight crawling spaces, JOY!
- wow, idk HOW in the hell I survived so many zombines and explosives barrels in one place, but please don't do that again
- FINALLY A CROWBAR
- now how the hell am I given a suit by picking up batteries, makes 0 sense
- insane amount of zombines again? the time spent on creating custom content could've been better used on creating enjoyable gameplay; there are better ways to spice it up and increase difficulty than just spam enemies in tight areas
- smg ammo but no smg, only a shotgun with 6 bullets? thanks, I really appreciate it. It's like it's all a slap in the face of whoever dares to try this entry, I feel a lot of the stuff is just there to annoy me
- invisible wall for a room where zombines come from, lovely
- rushing through that area, (as I was supposed to, from what I read in the comments afterwards) I must've broken a trigger as I end up behind some doors I can see through
- again an invis wall from where the zombines come
- eh falling off the platform in what I'm guessing is the final area makes me die? the visual language is again wrong since in the previous area I could explore near/under the platform freely without dying
- not to mention I die a lot more often from falling because a zombine pushed me, rather than being shot at or naded
- zombines might never move unless I start to look at them in that corridor, in which they spawn right in front of me if I sit there, heh
- after the first zombine wave, it was a matter of avoiding the turrets, then hid and waited for the combine and zombine to null themselves out, while occasionally shotgunning a manhack that did little damage and made sure to drop health so it was survivable but really dull. I like a good fight but this was a non survivable one if played right so I had to do something I hate, aka hide like a scared little girl.
- so in the end I die anyway, but in an artistic way visually? hmpf not amused.
This was an annoying entry that proved once again no amount of aesthetics can overcome bad gameplay.
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby Gradius on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Visually really nice, with some very pretty custom assets... particularly at the end.

But you really don't leverage the darkness all that well, there are no usably-bright natural light sources and the flares don't last long enough to really use them to navigate. Which means finding vents and switches is a pain. Without shutting my blinds entire and knocking up the brightness well past what it should be I really wasn't able to navigate well.

The red-herring mines were also a little too distracting, making it far too easy to miss the wall. After all, why wouldn't the barrel blow 'em up?

The final fight... oh that was too difficult by far. Zombines have a lot of HP and even the manhacks (of which there seemed to be an infinite supply) take a fair beating unless you've got shotgun shells to spare. That, combined with the enemies spawning in large clusters made the battle way too stacked against the player.

Still, a really inventive map. Just in need of some serious balance tweaks.

jimonions wrote:idn't seem to work or just have no effect. I never worked with AI until this map save for simple spawning stuff. I also found that hiding behind a barrier would lead to the zombines not finding you at all but was unable to fix it.

I can't remember the name but there's a sort of NPC camera entity that 'sees' the player and relays that to any other NPCs in its squad. You can use it to keep the NPCs cognizant of where the player is at all times during an arena battle.
Gradius
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Next

Return to Final Submissions