Custom Made Props for your Maps and Mods!

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Re: Custom Made Props for your Maps and Mods!

Postby Stormy on Fri May 04, 2012 10:16 am

Eloquently put MB, and in further response to Joe_Rogers, when MB requested his models I was still coding M4M. Actually he got quote 1, which shows that he literally put the request in ten minutes after I uploaded to my server. I still haven't had a chance to finish the site properly because I have not had any less than one active job and about three open job requests since then.

You could say I am pretty snowed under, but not really backed up. Somehow I have managed to finish jobs at roughly the same pace they are coming in. That said, I'm looking down the barrel of quite a large request right now which will hopefully have me busy for a while.

Major requests (of which I only ever have one active at a time) are things like characters, weapons, vehicles and set pieces. Smaller stuff (and more interesting stuff) gets done alongside, when I have the time. I also compile models that less experienced modellers have made, it actually takes up quite a bit of the smaller job volume.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby tron00 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:13 am

I requested a Garbage Truck awhile ago and was quite pleased with the results. I asked that the model also include the ability to add additional skins. It's going to be added to a L4D map based on New York. I required that the Garbage Truck be able to display advertisements on the side to give the appearance that it was not the same truck everywhere. While I am a still learning mapper, and have a long way to go on this map, the model is great!

tron00
Regular
Regular

Postby Dives on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 am

I'm amused by a Dirty Jobs ad being on a garbage truck. Great model too.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Stormy on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:24 am

Hey I was wondering when I'd see some screenies of this, thanks for sharing!
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Rick_D on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:18 am

isn't something like this killing the spirit of the modding community?

when i saw this thread i was so shocked and offended i curled into a little ball and cried bitterly and shit my pants.

then i made a website that you can download all the stuff i have made over the years, which i haven't uploaded yet, and also a place you can request stuff for free.

http://www.rapefrog.com
Rick_D
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:22 am

You must have been waiting to use that domain for a long time.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby DonPunch on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:53 pm

Rick_D wrote:isn't something like this killing the spirit of the modding community?

when i saw this thread i was so shocked and offended i curled into a little ball and cried bitterly and shit my pants.

then i made a website that you can download all the stuff i have made over the years, which i haven't uploaded yet, and also a place you can request stuff for free.

Good job, way to shit all over someone's thread.

There are plenty of sites out there with free models. Stormy is offering a service, if you dont want to pay then dont use him. Although I have heard he has helped people for free too.
DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Epifire on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Black Stormy has helped me a lot with my modeling skills as well. I see nothing against paying a bit of money for a custom ordered asset. Just coming in hear to insult him on the basis that he is not putting them up for free is uncalled for.
Epifire

Postby Stormy on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:34 pm

Haha nice site.

On a side note, I con't remember if I said yet, but livewire is now helping out with the service. You've all seen his work, he does good stuff.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby MayheM on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Rick_D wrote:isn't something like this killing the spirit of the modding community?

Considering the price he is charging for his work it is hardly asking much. The fact is he is offering a service and in my opinion should be compensate for it. If you choose to do your work and give it away, by all means that is your choice, but just because you choose to work for free does not mean that someone else can not charge. I for one think the idea of charging small amounts for models helps the community. If he was charging ridiculous amounts he would not make much money. But more importantly, if people do not want to pay for his services they need not do so. There are other options, namely learning to create your own models.

Personally I applaud Black Stormy for offering something I wish existed far sooner. In the past I have tried to ask for help from modellers and received no help or worse sarcastic replies like "make it yourself". Once I get mapping again I will happy to throw some cash his way...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Just so we're clear, I'm totally fine with http://www.rapefrog.com. there's no animosity here. As for the "ruining the modding community" I don't have enough traffic to constitute that large a claim, and I think I have inadvertently bridged the gap between modding and games development for some people. The fact that money can be involved in it is a big step in the thought process behind mod creation.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby TicTac on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:16 am

Damn, nice job getting this started Stormy! Ya gotta love making money doing what you love :)
Competent Level Designer, 3D Artist.
I don't really look like my avatar
TicTac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:35 pm

Welp, M4M is now closed. It was a good run and a great way to build a portfolio. I have to focus on some other, far more lucrative exploits now. Thanks to all the people who used the service!

The quote and contact pages now have links to livewire's email if anyone wants to request a quote he's still happy to provide. Alternatively, you could try www.rapefrog.com - he's got quite an impressive portfolio.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:07 pm

what will happen to existing requests? cancelled?
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SM Sith Lord on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:18 pm

If anybody is in need of some custom props, you can PM me to discuss contracting me if you'd like. I'll make your props quick and cheap, except for Dives, who I make his props for free cuz his project is so awesome.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Talk