So in the course of developing The Eighth Hour
I've learned that as much as I love to dabble in everything from level design, art, and code, what the project needs sometimes is more than one person. That can be a bit hard to swallow, with a project so personal and of such scope, but it's especially true now, my having blocked out dozens of maps and being faced with the challenge of working out combat, puzzles, population, and art for each of them. I love to tinker, but I'm strapped for time and space. So, without further preamble:Big Items
- Implementation of Biohazard's Deferred Lighting + Editing WindowsThis, bar none, is the biggest want here. I've made a continual effort to keep working above the bar Valve set as environments go, and to have this in lieu of Valve's beautiful but now long dated lightmapping would be the proverbial cherry on the cake. It'd tie everything together and make this baby truly sing.
- Programmer's SandboxIf you're capable, willing, and want to take this on, consider this as much your project and your showcase as it is mine. If you've got a stable of your own concepts and ideas you want to testbed and make part of a released project, I'm more than willing to accommodate. Further, your talents and contributions won't be confined to a mere 20-30 minute mod, our aim would be for something that sticks to the proverbial ribs.Smaller Items
- HUD tweaks: Nerfed Sprint, Removal of the Flashlight and its button/icons, Removal of Suit Energy
- Ladders: Removal of ladder sounds (or replacement with a surface-agnostic soundset)
- Titles: "Cloning" a duplicate title system, so that I can operate chapter titles and written dialogue at different font sizes (tiny chapter titles are not flattering in the least).
- Env_global (or equivalent) support with the deferred sun, to the effect of day/night cycles that proceed in real time and sync up across map loads.
- Shader support: I lust for things like L4D2's windswept tree shader, to again complete the environments. Something like material self-shadowing working with the deferred lighting would also be grand.
- Multi-component NPCs: (think Headcrab zombies, dying host but surviving crab), assuming I can't figure out how to jerry-rig the equivalent with entities.