Double Action

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Re: Double Action

Postby Vino on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:41 am

Blade Symphony did a $15k KS to buy a Source license, plus other stuff. They're a "mod" and they're selling Blade Symphony. Really, the line between mod and indie game is pretty blurred these days. Is Stanley Parable a mod or an indie game? It's a mod? But mods can't compete in IGF, and Stanley Parable got a Seamus McNully nod. Is Blade Symphony a mod? They're selling pre-orders. But when I played it a few years ago it was a mod. Can you sell a mod? Apparently so. Does that make it an indie game or a mod? Does the distinction matter anymore? The debate is rather silly. Can we just call them 'games' and stop making rules for who's allowed to make money off which ones?

I'm making DA because I loved TS and I want to see it rebuilt. I did the KS partially because I'd rather work on DA this summer than get a summer job or take summer classes. I'm sure you all share the same sentiments. I wouldn't exactly be getting rich from a few thousand dollars. I repeated a few times in the video that the game's free because I didn't want people to think that I'd be Kickstarting my way into profits, or that they were pre-ordering anything. After the KS the game will continue to be free. But I suppose I can't win, I get criticism either way.

Anyway, the other reason I did the KS is to let people hear about the game. It looks like it's not going to go through, which is fine with me. I'm thrilled that a lot of people seem to be enjoying it and a lot more people have offered to help. So, primary goal failed, but secondary goal succeeded.
Vino

Postby DonPunch on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:20 am

I wish you good luck and support you in your project, I truely do, but its a slap in the face to any indie developer when you try to make money illegally.

We arnt "making up rules", they are called EULA's, and it is also known as fraud.

The difference between DA and BS, is that BS raised money to buy a license, not to take the summer off from work. They work full time jobs and work on their INDIE.

Why not follow their model and contact Valve, try to purchase a license, then get funding.

It costs a lot of money to attempt to make money in game development, and when people try to cheat the system, it leaves some scars. I really didn't want to rant about this, but since you want to justify it I did.
DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby nub on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:40 am

Vino wrote:I did the KS partially because I'd rather work on DA this summer than get a summer job...

I wonder if you'd have over $1,000 pledged if that were put on the Kickstarter page. Oh and $18,000 isn't "a few thousand dollars." That's eighteen thousand dollars. I've worked a part time job for almost a year now and I haven't even made close to 18 grand. Hell, I don't think I've even made 18 grand overall. I'd be so fucking happy if I were suddenly given $18,000. I'd be able to buy a new car with that and ditch my 1991 Ford Taurus that has a leak in the powered steering system, battery corrosion, and no AC.

My advice? Forget Kickstarter and get a job. You won't reach $18,000 through the Summer unless you get a real job that's full time and pays well. But, hey man, that's reality. You have to make realistic goals.

But I suppose I can't win, I get criticism either way.

It's good that you can accept this fact of reality. As much as it sucks ass, you will always be criticized for the way you go about living your life. This goes for every single individual that lives on this planet. You just have to learn how to accept it. Whether you abide by any of it is your choice, and you shouldn't feel ashamed for whatever choice you make.

I don't mean any of this to bash you, but if you're so determined to make DA, then you need to at least be willing to commit to a part time job during the Summer. If you can't even do that, then why should anyone feel compelled to donate? I certainly wouldn't want to give my money to someone for their project if they're not even willing to work for some of their own.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Vino on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:15 pm

We've worked for two years without any compensation, and even without a KS we'll continue to work to finish the game without any compensation. I of course already have a job, and already working on DA in my spare time. So, I think we agree with each other?

That $18k would get split up, I would get less than a third of it. The rest would go to a level designer and artist and fees. That's what I meant when I said "a few thousand".

@DonPunch: I've talked to Valve. We're not selling the game, it's free remember? We're collecting money to work on the game, it's not breaking the EULA. Natural Selection sold Constellation memberships in their HL1 days and Valve was cool with it, this is no different.
Vino

Previous

Return to Mod Talk