Are HL2 Assets in ASW Legal?

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Are HL2 Assets in ASW Legal?

Postby Epifire on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Pretty simple question but it arose when wanting to take advantage of the ASW engine's capabilities for a HL 2 themed mod with much assets the were used in HL 2. Not entirely sure where Valve stands in there view of what can go from one version of the engine to another so with seeing mods like the HL 2: Enhancement and stuff I am confused. :?

Legal or Illegal to distribute a HL 2 mod in the ASW?
Epifire

Re: Are HL2 Assets in ASW Legal?

Postby DonPunch on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:40 pm

well considering ASW is free, I'd say its ok
DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Epifire on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:07 pm

DonPunch wrote:well considering ASW is free, I'd say its ok

Well that's the thing Don I keep wondering if it is a breach in terms if people are getting Valve made HL 2 assets in a mod for free? I for one am pretty sure they just don't want you making money off of their assets as the big thing, but I wanted to get some second opinions on it to be sure.
Epifire

Postby Habboi on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:13 pm

You could always email a member of Valve and ask? I've never heard a real answer except from the public but some say it's ok as long as it's free and others say no, you're using content from one game and letting people who don't own the game play mods using said content for free.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Habboi wrote:You could always email a member of Valve and ask?

Wouldn't know who to E-mail about that to be honest. Never looked into E-mailing anybody at Valve since generally I hear no one ever really gets a reply back from them.

EDIT: Yeah the only thing I have ever read regarding stuff Valve doesn't like is when it means you making money off of their stuff. Pretty relative to what this SFM FAQ page states towards the bottom of the page...

http://www.sourcefilmmaker.com/faq/

I dunno I get the feeling if they were really concerned they would have stated it more clearly but I'm not to comfortable with riding on that alone.
Last edited by Epifire on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epifire

Postby Major Banter on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:25 pm

I think it's gotten to the point where Valve honestly don't give a damn. They gave you the modding tools and they're shifting everything to a unified file format system based on the 2010 Source engine over the old GCF system.

Think of the amount of crossovers done and so on, and the fact you can grab Source 2007 and 2009 for free as a base for all mods. Legally, it's a grey area - in practice, I should think there's no problem with it at all. Valve support the mod community very well. You'd never get it Greenlit or be able to sell it (even with a license) because of the ramifications of ported content, but as a bog standard ModDB distributed mod - go right ahead I say.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:03 am

Major Banter wrote:I think it's gotten to the point where Valve honestly don't give a damn.

I don't think Valve has ever shut down a mod, they probably never will, tons of mods use crossover content, this has been asked before, it's a dumb question.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby ErikKiller on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:02 am

And it's not like Valve will launch a horde of lawyers at you if they DO have a problem with it.
*couch*EA*cough*
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Epifire on Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 am

Armageddon wrote:I don't think Valve has ever shut down a mod, they probably never will, tons of mods use crossover content, this has been asked before, it's a dumb question.

Well hey, just because a lotta people do it doesn't make it legal so that's why I was asking.
Epifire

Postby ErikKiller on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:03 am

Epifire wrote:Well hey, just because a lotta people do it doesn't make it legal so that's why I was asking.

It does enter it into the gray zone.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:55 pm

Epifire wrote:
Armageddon wrote:I don't think Valve has ever shut down a mod, they probably never will, tons of mods use crossover content, this has been asked before, it's a dumb question.

Well hey, just because a lotta people do it doesn't make it legal so that's why I was asking.

sure its a grey area, but the fact that you even asked...that paints a big target on your back that says, "NOOB"
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:26 am

People have ported entire HL2 maps over to L4D and Valve featured it. I don't think they care, and if for some reason they did(which is extremely unlikely), you would probably just get an email asking politely to stop.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Epifire on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:36 am

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:
Epifire wrote:sure its a grey area, but the fact that you even asked...that paints a big target on your back that says, "NOOB"

There were some concerns going around in the team so as the guy who has to post and ask everything on our behalf I did. Otherwise I figured Valve didn't care that much either.
Epifire

Postby Gary on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:23 am

By the way. Using Open Steamworks and this, you can add GCF mounting to ASW.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Return to Mod Talk