MINERVA: "Director's Cut"

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

MINERVA: "Director's Cut"

Postby ErikKiller on Wed May 01, 2013 4:09 pm

So, the slightly modernised MINERVA is finally on Steam. Darn thing still looks amazing.
General discussion thread if anybody else is interested.

Technical details: maps lighting fully rebuilt with maximum settings, more expensive materials swapped in where appropriate, vegetation density increased, DirectX 8 mode actually working (!), running on Source 2009 for better dynamic lighting and other visuals. Gameplay details: various puzzles improved with better (but still subtle) prompting, various difficult-to-navigate areas improved with better (but still subtle!) guidance. Quite a few bugs both large and small squished as well. That disappearing-crosshairs thing? Finally gone. Exciting.
Last edited by ErikKiller on Thu May 02, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: MINERVA: "Director's Cut"

Postby nub on Wed May 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Ooh...I had no idea about this. I searched Minerva on Steam. Is that the correct page to download from? It says it requires Episode 1, so I figured it's still the old version.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Plague on Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm actually confused because I thought Minerva was part of the group of mods that were released on the store a few years ago?

But hey, haven't played it in awhile anyways.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ErikKiller on Wed May 01, 2013 8:26 pm

Yeah I thought it was also on Steam, I think it might have just been the first chapter? Or 2-3 of the chapters, never the full thing.
Also from what I've heard, it requires Episode One, but it doesn't have to be installed.
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Plague on Wed May 01, 2013 9:31 pm

That's it most likely, cause it was probably before he released the final chapter(s).
Never really thought about it, but he got picked up by Valve before he could do the EP2 port of Minerva.
(Not to mention Out of Time... RIP poor soul)
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cz_squishy on Thu May 02, 2013 2:27 am

ErikKiller wrote:The first thing I noticed is that the Combine soldiers now count down the explosion of the grenade? IS that a new thing? Haven't heard it before.
"5...4...3...2...1...FLASH, FLASH, FLASH *explosion*"

Not new, heard them do it before. Noticed my combine said it when he was manually triggered to throw a grenade.
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Armageddon on Thu May 02, 2013 2:29 am

Yeah this has been on Steam since 2005. I'm not sure where this director's cut thing came from, it showed up on ValveTime and didn't explain anything that would be added. Adam Foster hasn't posted it on his blog which seems strange. Maybe ValveTime was just late to seeing it on Steam?
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu May 02, 2013 2:41 am

link?
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Thu May 02, 2013 3:03 am

http://www.valvetime.net/threads/adam-f ... ed.243403/

It looks like they just made a random trailer with nothing new. The Minerva Steam page is the same as it was six years ago.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Plague on Thu May 02, 2013 3:32 am

https://hylobatidae.org/minerva/blogshe ... nfo&id=118

It's real, just very little actual notice of anything new.
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Thu May 02, 2013 4:06 am

Oh nice. I think when valve originally put all the mods like Synergy and Insurgency on Steam it just linked to the mod page where you could download it. So I guess that's been changed so it works like the Cry of Fear steam page now. Pretty cool. Hope he fixed the HDR and water/fog bug in the first level.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Matt Egan on Thu May 02, 2013 4:54 am

Armageddon wrote:Yeah this has been on Steam since 2005. I'm not sure where this director's cut thing came from, it showed up on ValveTime and didn't explain anything that would be added. Adam Foster hasn't posted it on his blog which seems strange. Maybe ValveTime was just late to seeing it on Steam?

It hasn't been available on Steam since Source 2009 broke the game. Here's what Adam says is new:

Technical details: maps lighting fully rebuilt with maximum settings, more expensive materials swapped in where appropriate, vegetation density increased, DirectX 8 mode actually working (!), running on Source 2009 for better dynamic lighting and other visuals. Gameplay details: various puzzles improved with better (but still subtle) prompting, various difficult-to-navigate areas improved with better (but still subtle!) guidance. Quite a few bugs both large and small squished as well. That disappearing-crosshairs thing? Finally gone. Exciting.

From here.
Matt Egan
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby ErikKiller on Thu May 02, 2013 12:45 pm

Modified the opening post. Should have added all that guffin there originally -.-
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Mod Talk