Level Designer looking for Horror mod

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Level Designer looking for Horror mod

Postby Crackshot on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:27 am

I'm looking for a sub role in level design on a mod (horror preferred) for source if anyone needs/wants my skills. I have a small portfolio if you need it, I know my way around hammer fairly well but I ask to be on a sub level role because I'd like to have someone more experienced to bring any issues to if I run into any and because while I am fairly good with Hammer, setting up action sequences is still an area I'm not that experienced in. So please contact me.

Also, as a side note, If anyone knows how one would go about making a custom mod, if you could point me to a mod making tutorial post that would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Crackshot on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced they encompass the entire week.

SteamID: Starfox232
Crackshot
Regular
Regular

Re: Level Designer looking for Horror mod

Postby Armageddon on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:31 am

You just make a mod folder and put your maps in it? No one will want your help unless they see pictures here.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Crackshot on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:45 am

Armageddon wrote:You just make a mod folder and put your maps in it? No one will want your help unless they see pictures here.

Pictures of what? I'm not advertising stuff I've made, I'm asking to make stuff. Also, I mean like, making the mod accessible in hammer as it's own thing with my own defined models, textures, and sounds for use and such. I want a detailed explanation of it.

Crackshot
Regular
Regular

Postby Armageddon on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:52 am

People need to see how good your previous work is. You don't have to have a download link just show some pictures. They're not going to hand you work because you say you know Hammer, they also can't be arsed to add you on Steam and ask for pictures.

The detailed explanation for making a mod is, learn how to program in C++, learn 3Ds Max and exporting models to the Source Engine, and learning the Hammer Editor, learn Photoshop and hand painting textures. All of it can be found on the Valve Dev Wiki.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Crackshot on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:12 am

Armageddon wrote:People need to see how good your previous work is. You don't have to have a download link just show some pictures. They're not going to hand you work because you say you know Hammer, they also can't be arsed to add you on Steam and ask for pictures.

The detailed explanation for making a mod is, learn how to program in C++, learn 3Ds Max and exporting models to the Source Engine, and learning the Hammer Editor, learn Photoshop and hand painting textures. All of it can be found on the Valve Dev Wiki.

I can do at least two of those things but you're more avoiding my question than answering it so I'll move on since that was more of a secondary subject anyway. As for the images thing, I'll upload images to the OP if it really is something that people would prefer, but you must understand that having only one person comment about doing so doesn't really make me assume other people with require the same thing. Personally, I think if you're making a mod and you aren't willing to put out the effort to acquire help when it's available then I don't really think the mod will go very far.

Crackshot
Regular
Regular

Postby Armageddon on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:24 am

You'll have to wait more than an hour to get responses, also no one here is making a horror mod because horror mods are boring and over done. Check on Facepunch if you want horror mods and quick replies.

Most people do not need help with their mods. Not here at least, and certainly not in the level design department.

Thank you.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Crackshot on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:28 am

Armageddon wrote:You'll have to wait more than an hour to get responses, also no one here is making a horror mod because horror mods are boring and over done. Check on Facepunch if you want horror mods and quick replies.

Most people do not need help with their mods. Not here at least, and certainly not in the level design department.

Thank you.

Well I'll expand my search, but I think I'll keep checking back here for more opinions on the matter I'm sure someone out there will have something useful add in regard to my questions. Also, it's worth mentioning I'm not exclusively looking for Horror mods it's merely a preference. Thanks for your replies all the same though.

Crackshot
Regular
Regular

Postby source-maps on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:33 am

you don't understand how this works :)
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Crackshot on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:36 am

source-maps wrote:you don't understand how this works :)

Seems that way, if only there was someone around here that knew how to explain it properly.

Crackshot
Regular
Regular

Postby Armageddon on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:36 am

To answer your question Google "how to make a hl2 mod" there are literally 10 good tutorials right at the top.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Crackshot on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:46 am

Armageddon wrote:To answer your question Google "how to make a hl2 mod" there are literally 10 good tutorials right at the top.

Most of those are dated and no longer apply to the new release of the Source SDK otherwise I wouldn't have asked here.

Crackshot
Regular
Regular

Postby Armageddon on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:48 am

With minor adjustments they apply all the same. Download the code from GitHub, compile it the same way as the tutorials sate. Change the gameinfo.txt name and drop your mod folder into SourceMods, and there you have your mod.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Crackshot on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:52 am

Armageddon wrote:With minor adjustments they apply all the same. Download the code from GitHub, compile it the same way as the tutorials sate. Change the gameinfo.txt name and drop your mod folder into SourceMods, and there you have your mod.

Yeah but see, when I open the Source SDK and double click "create mod" it gives me this error message that states: "Support for creating total conversions are not available using this engine versions" Now I don't know enough about modding to tell otherwise but this seems like a brick wall to me.

Crackshot
Regular
Regular

Postby Armageddon on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:58 am

The Source SDK is broken, it's no longer in use. Also the only version the Source SDK can give you is 2007, 2009 code was never added until it was released on GitHub a few weeks ago.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Crackshot on Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:13 am

Armageddon wrote:The Source SDK is broken, it's no longer in use. Also the only version the Source SDK can give you is 2007, 2009 code was never added until it was released on GitHub a few weeks ago.

So then where do I go from there if the SDK is broken, again you have to understand I have zero experience with mod creating, and without the SDK functioning as it should it doesn't exactly make it easier.

Crackshot
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Mod Talk