Action movie fans (artists), click here!

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Action movie fans (artists), click here!

Postby Dementei on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Hello, glad you decided to see what this thread is about and soon you will know. First I must say that I am a part of a team building a certain action movie source mod called Double Action. It's been under development for a couple years and no this is not an advertisement for the game. This is actually a notice to artists such as mappers, texturers, sounders, modelers, voicers, animators, and whatever elsers that our game (which is also your game) requires your help and attention and dedication and love for. Our current weapon models are almost finished, although we do need a bunch more guns added in and maybe a couple melee weapons, we'll add anything if it's original content. As for maps, we have several but we could use some more really well done levels that fit that action movie theme. Our player animations are currently being completely reworked as well, they aren't too bad atm but definitely try the mod out some time.

Anyway here is our moddb with some stuff on it, and here's our forums if you are interested in being a part of our community development. Oh also, we severely need proper, fully functional, awesome dedicated servers to handle all this action being tossed around.

I think that's about it, please come and help, it's a fun time :smt023

(If this thread is in wrong place, please move it thx)
Dementei

Re: Action movie fans (artists), click here!

Postby Stormy on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:50 am

I'll chime in here. I have been helping these guys detail their maps.

At the moment the game looks terribad. The maps are a mottled group of different styles created by largely inexperienced amateur mappers and they have had no artists on the team for the longest time. Most of the maps are unoptimized, badly laid out and dodgily made (oh lord if you guys could see some of the shit in some of these maps - it's horrific).

But the gameplay is fucking awesome. I see heaps of potential in it. The lead coder, Vino (you might remember him from his failed kickstarter campaign) is trying to foster a development environment where anyone can contribute anything they want and it will be tested. I like this idea. It doesn't mean that the development team is going to do all the work for the non-contributing ideas men, but if someone has something they can contribute, like art skills, sound, code (the entire source code is on github and can be forked freely) then the team puts it in and tests it. This is actually the main reason I have been helping out. I can do stuff at my own rate and put it into a build when I feel like it.

D, lopers isn't really a place to ask for team members, rather to ask for help on individual problems. But since this post is here, you guys should try out the mod. It's badass. And if you feel like helping out to improve a map or something the team will share the .vmf and sources and put your changes in.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:00 am

Black_Stormy wrote:IThe lead coder, Vino (you might remember him from his failed kickstarter campaign) is trying to foster a development environment where anyone can contribute anything they want and it will be tested. I like this idea. It doesn't mean that the development team is going to do all the work for the non-contributing ideas men, but if someone has something they can contribute, like art skills, sound, code (the entire source code is on github and can be forked freely) then the team puts it in and tests it. This is actually the main reason I have been helping out. I can do stuff at my own rate and put it into a build when I feel like it.

I feel like this is a pretty good approach these days. You're bound to find some people willing to contribute some assets and such, considering you're allowing them to pace themselves. The only issue I see with it is if/when you get dozens of artists firing stuff your way, you will have to test all of the content in the mod to ensure it fits and functions properly. It could become a very arduous task depending on the scale. But other than that, I see it as a much more appealing way of modding.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dementei on Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:13 am

Yea you're right Storm it does seem more like a place for help than anything else really. Man what happened to these forums they seem to have lost a lot of movement. Is everyone waiting for the new Source engine?

Anyway I just made a post on moddb for mappers to rise up to the action, maybe we'll get some real talent in on this.
Dementei

Postby nub on Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:22 pm

I mean it's been that way since Source modding started its decline. Obviously when Source 2 and the SDK are released, there will be much more hustle and bustle in the modding community, along with Interlopers. We're still here and stuff, but these days we are definitely more of a community based on helping modders/mappers/etc. rather than some kind of "mod mecca." Things will change. It's just going to take some time.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:52 am

This forum is more of a hideout for source cranks at the moment. I'm not even sure I want it to pick up, I kinda like it like this.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:00 am

I've enjoyed these forums immensely in their cynical twilight.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Sathor on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:17 am

This is like a forum with people still working on horse-drawn carriages while everyone else has moved on to cars for quite some time.

CS:GO with Payback gave that mapping sector quite a boost, though.
Sathor

Postby nub on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Sathor wrote:This is like a forum with people still working on horse-drawn carriages while everyone else has moved on to cars for quite some time.

CS:GO with Payback gave that mapping sector quite a boost, though.

Considering the circumstances, you could say Valve has made it much more accessible for rising mappers to earn money for their work. Obviously you really have to make something amazing, but still, it's a great opportunity regardless.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Mod Talk