Valve Boycott L4D Campaign, Fly Gabe Newell to Brisbane

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Valve Boycott L4D Campaign, Fly Gabe Newell to Brisbane

Postby ToastFlambe on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:28 am

dark_veil wrote:im just damn surprised at how ppl donated to it!

This is Robin Walker, from Valve. The rest of us at Valve would sure appreciate a couple of days without Erik around, so thanks for organising this!

Quick question though: if I donated more, would you buy a one-way ticket for him?

Robin.

He donated 100 bucks. :lol:
ToastFlambe

Postby ghost12332 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:00 am

oh man, that made my day xD
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Postby nub on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:27 am

Valve is awesome, and this guy is fucking clever.

That is all I have to say.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:50 am

Have you seen the comments in the L4D2 Boycott group? Absolute uproar!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D2boycott
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Sebhael on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:59 am

That's quite interesting, it just goes to show that anyone really can do anything given certain circumstances and abilities.
@The Wasteland Discotheque. Black House, Glass City. | Steam/X-Fire : Sebhael
Sebhael
Regular
Regular

Postby ScarT on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:12 am

Armageddon wrote:Why would someone ask VALVe to fly him out and see his L4D1 campaign? Is VALVe buying campaigns or something? If so how can I get in on this!?!? :P

Also that so called "Zombie mod" is about gay cowboys... And could this be that German that hacked HL2s source code and leaked it out, back from prison to get revenge on gabe?

Axel Gembe recently went to prison for some hired DDOS attack so I doubt it. I know LaCabra and this is started out as a joke but the Paypal account and blog was created before it went around the net.

http://www.hl2world.com/bbs/fly-gabe-ne ... highlight=
http://flygabenewell.blogspot.com/

LaCabra was also the former leader of the Missing Information mod.
ScarT

Postby stoopdapoop on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:12 pm

well, he met his goal :D

I really enjoyed this whole (one day) saga though. The original E-mail from gabe was hillarious, and I think that many of us probably would have done the same thing as this guy in this situation, especially if you'd had such an interesting relationship with Gabe.

Sucks that his campaign doesn't look so hot, but that's way besides the point.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Meotwister on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:35 pm

yeah, making $2560 off a joke seems pretty clever indeed.

Apparently, he'd had some kind of preexisting relationship with Gabe (via email) enough to where they joke with each other.

Would be interesting if now he did actually fly down to brisbane.
Check out my continually progressing portfolio!
http://meotwister.com - Finally up! I also blog there, too!

www.NoMoreRoomInHell.com
Meotwister
Resolute Games

Postby YokaI on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:42 pm

Do you guys not know that this pretty much a joke between friends? According to kotaku. this is a ll a big gag to poke fun of the L4D2 boycott...

It isn't really very funny. Is this how they spend their CS:S updating hours?
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Ennui on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:14 pm

Saw this yesterday. It's kind of painful to read this thread and see how completely a lot of you missed the point. The OP wasn't really worded well and kind of gave the wrong idea, but anyone who actually read the link would be able to figure out it's a tongue-in-cheek sort of thing. Which is why it's good to read the material before you post about it.

I personally think its hilarious, the boycotters irritate the shit out of me and I like having a bit of fun partially at their expense.
Ennui
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Zipfinator on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:31 pm

Ennui wrote:I personally think its hilarious, the boycotters irritate the shit out of me and I like having a bit of fun partially at their expense.

Yeah they're fucking stupid... Two of the biggest boycotters got to play the game and they actually like it and support Valve's decision now but most of them think they are sellouts and are threatening to leave the Steam group which no one gives a fuck about anyway. You'd think they would support Valve also because their leaders liked it, I guess not though...
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ThePain on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:57 pm

Zipfinator wrote:
Ennui wrote:I personally think its hilarious, the boycotters irritate the shit out of me and I like having a bit of fun partially at their expense.

Yeah they're fucking stupid... Two of the biggest boycotters got to play the game and they actually like it and support Valve's decision now but most of them think they are sellouts and are threatening to leave the Steam group which no one gives a fuck about anyway. You'd think they would support Valve also because their leaders liked it, I guess not though...

I think you missed the point of the boycott entirely.

No one was ever arguing L4D2 would be a bad game. We all know it will be great. What the boycotters are arguing is that L4D 2 SHOULD HAVE BEEN L4D1!

L4D is shorter then Portal saying you play every campaign one after another non-stop and they charged full price for it. They said more content would be quickly coming out as this was the #1 complaint about L4D when it was first released. It'll have been 10 months since they said there would be new campaigns to actually getting 1 new one.

They said the SDK would be out shortly after, took them half a year.

Now all this is well and good IF they hadn't announced L4D2 before they ever announced a release date for more campaigns.

It doesn't matter what other companies do, or how Valve is releasing this for free. On F***ing release date they promised more content to their tiny 50 dollar game and most likely would have never ever delivered had not the playerbase called them out.

I'm probably buying L4D2 on release day, but this is honestly very very dissapointing on Valve's part.

L4D has had 20 updates since Dec. 4th, the only maps added were The other two VS maps, and 1 Survival map. (All the other survivals were already existing maps with just about 0 changes done except making a door not open and not be destroyable)

TF2 has had 20 updates since March this year, at least 5 of them including Valve made maps (ignoring "community" made ones)

There's absolutely no reason they couldn't deliver a single campaign in this time other than they almost completely abandoned L4D1 to devote most of their resources to L4D2.

**EDIT**
VVV
Yes, I'd rather take my points to a different thread, or PMs if you wish to discuss my points
Last edited by ThePain on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Ennui on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:06 pm

Let's not derail the thread into a boycott discussion, although if you guys want to have one I'd be happy to post in another (new) thread about it as I have pretty strong feelings on the subject.

This guy is up to something like $2,500 in donations, after getting some major press attention (Kotaku etc).
Ennui
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Duke Nukem on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:11 pm

JOE!! :zomg: :noob: :woah:

weel the combination of the name "joe" and this awesome fail reminds me in this clip:
Enjoy your Kartoffelsuppe!

ModDB Profile
Duke Nukem
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Zipfinator on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:32 pm

ThePain wrote:
Zipfinator wrote:

Long Rant

I thought someone would bring this up. If you'd actually read the interview, the two boycotters who were flown to Valve were also shown what Valve was doing with L4D1 and they said that Valve definitely isn't giving up on it. They said there are going to be tons of bug fixes and improvements and I'm sure they are working on more campaigns for the survivors other than Crash Course. They probably signed an NDA or something so the boycotters can't release information, but I'm sure Valve wont just stop L4D1 after Crash Course.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Site News