Valve reveal new game mode - Scavenge

Comment on the news articles here.

Valve reveal new game mode - Scavenge

Postby Blink on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:02 am

Destructoid.com have released details of the new game mode that Valve announced recently in San Francisco:

This new mode (designed to be shorter than the traditional competitive) has four survivors fighting to find 16 gas cans across the game map. Using the cans, the goal is to fill up a generator to win the match. Split up over six rounds (three per team), each starts with 120 seconds; each gas can will add an additional 20 seconds to the overall time. If time runs out, yet one survivor is still holding a gas can, the game will go into overtime until the generator is up and running or an infected knocks it from their hands.

On the opposing team will be the Infected, who are doing everything they can to feast on human flesh and (of course) stop the survivors from restarting the generator. Not only can infected knock the gas cans from the hands of the survivors, but special infected like the "The Spitter" can light the cans on fire with its phlegm. Survivors must also watch their fire -- one stray bullet can set the can on fire as well.

Valve are planning to ship Left 4 Dead 2 with six maps for "Scavenge" mode, each reconfigured maps from the game's campaign. "Motel" is one such area, and Hamza "The Shark"

Image Image

Sounds like another nerve-wracking situation for the survivors. Read the full post for more details.

I'll be attending the Eurogamer Expo in London on the 31st of Oct and I'm hoping to get my hands on L4D2 for a little play. Stay tuned for a report!
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Re: Valve reveal new game mode - Scavenge

Postby vcool on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:06 am

Sound intersting, and reminds me of Zombie Master.

I see this being very hard for survivors though.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SotaPoika on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:26 am

Nice stuff Valve! I can't wait for this. :)
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Zabiela on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:13 am

Sounds cool to me! This is going to make paying for l4d2 a bit easier.
Zabiela
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Mangopork on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:05 am

Zabiela wrote:Sounds cool to me! This is going to make paying for l4d2 a bit easier.

Wait, are you THE James Zabiela?
Strangely Delicious.
Mangopork
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby source-maps on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:57 pm

finally the chainsaw in-game :)
now I want to see it in action

edit:

gameplay footage :)
also notice the new boomer, is that a fat chick now? looks ugly and not in a good zombie way :P
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby nub on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:39 pm

The game looks way more solid. I just hope it isn't plagued with cheap-ass bugs and exploits for the new infected (or the old ones). The jockey looks absolutely fucking hilarious to play as. I can imagine a hyper-active zombie jumping on you and clobbering you to death...although he seems a tad bit useless if he doesn't do that much damage since the survivor he leaps on can run around still.

Anyway, katana and crowbar = epic win. I'm glad the melee weapons aren't limited like the guns in the first game are.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MayheM on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:12 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun. I really like that they have added another game mode. This will extend the replay a good deal, and since the objects can be randomly spawned by the AI Director it is not like people will be running to the same spot every time to get the gas cans. They will actually have to look for them. Pretty cool idea. It actually reminds me of an Idea I had for CS:S where the T's would spawn without the C4 and have to find it before they could plan. I tried and tried but could not get them to spawn without the bomb after the first round. Oh well....
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zipfinator on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:36 pm

nub wrote:The game looks way more solid. I just hope it isn't plagued with cheap-ass bugs and exploits for the new infected (or the old ones). The jockey looks absolutely fucking hilarious to play as. I can imagine a hyper-active zombie jumping on you and clobbering you to death...although he seems a tad bit useless if he doesn't do that much damage since the survivor he leaps on can run around still.

Anyway, katana and crowbar = epic win. I'm glad the melee weapons aren't limited like the guns in the first game are.

Jockey is going to have a TON of uses. Can walk people off cliffs/buildings, jump on someone and direct them into a fire, move them out of a room good defense spot, move them out of a room to have other survivors save them and run into another special infected. Not everything is about damage. Special infected in L4D have a lot of uses outside of just doing damage.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby no00dylan on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:19 pm

I really hope to preorder soon.... I'm pretty badly broke right now...
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Oh I see. He can control the survivors to some extent. I thought he just got on top of them and started hitting them while the player would control themselves and run around.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zipfinator on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:12 am

nub wrote:Oh I see. He can control the survivors to some extent. I thought he just got on top of them and started hitting them while the player would control themselves and run around.

So you thought all the people in the videos were just running around like retards for no reason? :P
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:51 am

Zipfinator wrote:
nub wrote:Oh I see. He can control the survivors to some extent. I thought he just got on top of them and started hitting them while the player would control themselves and run around.

So you thought all the people in the videos were just running around like retards for no reason? :P

I see that a lot in the preview/test videos.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Site News