Valve Trademarks DOTA

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Valve Trademarks DOTA

Postby Furling on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:39 am

Well, being mainly an FPS player I don't really care if they make this DotA game or not. On the other hand, I can see why they want to expand the user base by trying out new genres
~ Heaven won't take me and Hell's afraid I'll take over ~

Stargate: Legacy a Half-Life2 modification. Learn more at http://www.stargatelegacy.net
Furling
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby source-maps on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:41 am

Hellraz0r wrote:Um, ew. What a shame Valve you've really done it now. All down hill from here..

lol a bit exaggerated don't you think
sure you might not like these type of games (like I do) with the magic and nerdy stuff
but that doesn't mean it suddenly all goes down hill
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Phott on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:02 pm

marks wrote:There's nothing wrong with having an informed and justified opinion. What you posted was a display of ignorance. An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Alright then, let's let everyone say "It's a good mod" without any "substitute" for it, but whine on anyone who says different even though they show as much ignorance.

You want a review of it or something? I don't like it, the gameplay is not my style.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Plague on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:50 pm

source-maps wrote:
Hellraz0r wrote:Um, ew. What a shame Valve you've really done it now. All down hill from here..

lol a bit exaggerated don't you think
sure you might not like these type of games (like I do) with the magic and nerdy stuff
but that doesn't mean it suddenly all goes down hill

We all assume Valve will go for a fantasy style :lol:
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby marks on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm just trying to point out to you, that theres a huge difference between having a negative opinion of, and baselessly insulting something.

Phott wrote:I don't want some shitty game coming out of Valve's arse.

Is very different to

Phott wrote:I don't like it, the gameplay is not my style.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Plague on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Marks, its just the Warcraft-ness that leaves a scent on the DOTA name.
It make pro-game players like us get a little angry.

Even though i hated DOTA for being 90% of the custom games on WC3 and being so fucking worshiped...
I will give Valves run at it a chance considering they basically hit gold with what ever they make....
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Well I think it's shit, I'm being blunt about it.

Were you offended?
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Phott wrote:Well I think it's shit, I'm being blunt about it.

Were you offended?

oh my gosh I know I am
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MáØ on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:10 pm

I think icefrog molested phott when he was younger :p
MáØ
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Phott on Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:47 pm

MáØ wrote:I think icefrog molested phott when he was younger :p

Yeah, that must be it.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tonedef on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:06 am

You used this improperly...that phrase means it all gets easier from here...i.e. climbing the hill was the hard part. Just an FYI.

But as you are meaning it you are obviously over exaggerating. Just because Valve is targeting another audience doesn't mean all is lost. It is just part of Valve's "thing" they grab up amateur, original talent and give the resources and attention it takes to make something good, great. Look at well...pretty much everything they touch aside from Half-Life itself.

Personally, I hate DotA...but it is insanely popular in the competitive community. My confusion lies in the fact that I though DotA already when commercial as Heroes of Newerth.
Tonedef

Postby Phott on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:39 am

Actually "going down hill" in this case means that they are deteriorating, doing bad etc.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MáØ on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:49 am

Tonedef wrote:My confusion lies in the fact that I though DotA already when commercial as Heroes of Newerth.

Icefrog gave HoN his "endorsement" it doesn't mean that is an official commercial DotA.
MáØ
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby YokaI on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:21 am

korge wrote:just have to say... Bnet2.0 mops the floor with Steamworks.

Psy wrote:What does Battlenet have over Steamworks? :\

You guys seem to be missing the point. Steam and Battle.Net are not at all related to one another.

Something I posted that obviously nobody gave enough of a shit to read wrote:Also, Battle.net and Steam aren't necessarily competing platforms. Battle.Net isn't publishing third party content nor is it an application that runs on your computer that manages a game library. Battle.Net 2 is only there to do what the old battle.net did, but expand upon it with things like matchmaking and some other nifty features... And also a lack of basic features. :(

For the love of god, I would have thought the majority of gamers would be able to recognize the difference between Steam and Battle.net, one being more a publisher and another just a system to unify all of the developers games / players / communities.

As for DotA, It's a shame that valve's fans can't recognize a good game when it smacks them on the face. DotA is definitely a good game, but since it's not a FPS game it's kind of like you just can't give a shit for some reason.

MáØ wrote:
Tonedef wrote:My confusion lies in the fact that I though DotA already when commercial as Heroes of Newerth.

Icefrog gave HoN his "endorsement" it doesn't mean that is an official commercial DotA.

DotA can now be considered it's own true gametype, it isn't really an RTS and it isn't really an RPG. Because of this, the original team behind dota split around to different developers who produced games of similar game types.

Icefrog left to join Valve,
Eul left to join Riot games in producing League of Legends (which is quite a bit of fun, try it out for free sometime),
And some other person produced Heroes of Newerth.

There's a lot of debate about which one is /better\ but I would say that all in all there's a lot of room for tweaking in dota. As of right now, both HoN and LoL have some gaping flaws that, I feel, prevent it from reaching the competitive level that DotA has reached.

trcc wrote:
YokaI wrote:
In all seriousness though, I am unsure about the *legal* aspects behind this purchase. As far as I know, Icefrog was not the original creator of Dota and only took control of the DotA team after the old leader Guinsoo had departed from the company.

What company are you referring to? A custom map is not a company!

You don't need to be a company necessarily to have a right over something. If you produce a product you have creative rights over that product, regardless of what base it was developed upon.

But yes, "company" should be replaces with "mod team", since in Warcraft Custom maps are essentially custom gametypes or "mods"
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Phott on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:38 am

YokaI wrote:As for DotA, It's a shame that valve's fans can't recognize a good game when it smacks them on the face. DotA is definitely a good game, but since it's not a FPS game it's kind of like you just can't give a shit for some reason.

Yeah! Damned forbid people to have their own opinion!
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Site News