More Steam additions

Comment on the news articles here.

More Steam additions

Postby Blink on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Valve won't stop adding to Steam! This time Steam Guard is the new feature:

Steam Guard allows users to link management of their account to a specific PC. Attempts to modify or change account settings by any other PC won't be possible without the user's approval.

Steam Guard will take advantage of upcoming Intel® Identity Protection Technology (Intel® IPT), an encrypted, hardware-based feature available with the new 2nd Generation Intel® CoreT and Intel® CoreT vProT processors. IPT generates a new numerical password every 30 seconds, integrating into the processor functionality that previously required a separate card or key fob.

Users will also be notified if any PCs other than those authorized by them attempt to log into or modify their account settings.

Steam Guard is available to third parties to incorporate into their own applications through Steamworks.

"Account phishing and hijacking are our #1 support issues," said Gabe Newell, President of Valve. "With Intel's IPT and Steam Guard, we've taken a big step towards giving customers the account security they need as they purchase more and more digital goods."

"We expect to see widespread adoption of hardware-based security like Intel IPT by other service providers," said Doug Lombardi, Valve's Vice President of Marketing. "If as a customer you are buying movies, music, games, or digital goods, you want to know that they are more secure than your physical goods.

Also, did the new screenshots feature pass anyone else by? I didn't notice it so if you didn't either, check it out.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Re: More Steam additions

Postby zombie@computer on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:57 pm

Ah, hardware support for drm, sortof. Now software authors can decide you can only play a game on 1 machine. Lo and behold how they sell it as Steam account security. Sneaky.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby marnamai on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:13 pm

I think that's a bit far fetched Z@C, you might be right but one of Steam's plusses is that you can play your game on any computer by installing Steam and downloading the game via your account.

However what would happen if the PC linked to an account would have a hardware failure or upgrade and components have to be replaced?
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MayheM on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Yeah z@c I am sure this has nothing to so with the all too many posts of "My Steam Account got Hacked". I think it is a great idea, but I think the user should be able to add computers easily. So if you have a desktop and a laptop you can add both to the account or to any of your own personal computers for that matter.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:59 pm

More additions to Steam huh? They are going to keep feeding it so it becomes even slower and more unstable, something I thought was impossible.

Though, this feature looks like it could be useful like Mayhem said. I see where your coming from, Z@C, but like Marnamai said, Valve constantly says how being able to play it on more then one computer is a major feature of Steam.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Hellraz0r on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:46 am

Maybe they should start focusing more on preventing steam from randomly freezing when trying to launch a game or even after exiting a game, the laggy server browsers in-game, just plain poor performance of steam in general instead of adding all this other stuff..
Hellraz0r
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Gary on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:43 am

That is exactly what I meant by unstable. These kind of problems should of been sorted out long ago.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby zombie@computer on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:26 pm

@SP & TP:

Yeah, I wasn't 100% serious about that, i do think its a great addition seeing as though people sometimes have 1000's dollars worth of games on steam. But, reading this:

Steam Guard is available to third parties to incorporate into their own applications through Steamworks.
I dont quite understand what that has to do with the protection of ones account, other than the first step towards steambased drms.

Also, I fully agree with Gary: Steam is becoming a little bloated, which certainly doesnt help in terms of performace and stability. True, nowadays the impact of steam should be minimal, but i shouldn't have to spend precious cpu time to a friggin content delivery system while i'm playing a game.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby marnamai on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:29 pm

@ Z@C, Steam allready is a DRM, you can't sell your games to others or play on more then 1 pc at the same time.
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kosire on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:38 pm

marnamai wrote:@ Z@C, Steam allready is a DRM, you can't sell your games to others or play on more then 1 pc at the same time.

You can actually, if it's singleplayer games.
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby marnamai on Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:44 pm

Me and my brother used to share our account and if one pc logged into steam it would shut down the other pc's steam process.
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kosire on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:06 pm

marnamai wrote:Me and my brother used to share our account and if one pc logged into steam it would shut down the other pc's steam process.

Hm, I can fine log on steam on both my laptop and desktop. I can only be logged into friends on one of them ofc, but I can fine launch games from both of them at the same time. I can only play multiplayer games from one pc on the internet like any other game due to 1 cd key, so nothing new there. Singleplayer I can launch as many as i want lol
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby LordDz on Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Gary wrote:More additions to Steam huh? They are going to keep feeding it so it becomes even slower and more unstable, something I thought was impossible.

Though, this feature looks like it could be useful like Mayhem said. I see where your coming from, Z@C, but like Marnamai said, Valve constantly says how being able to play it on more then one computer is a major feature of Steam.

Inb4 Steam OS.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby source-maps on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:49 am

lol @ conspiracy theories
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Plague on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:24 am

Well Gabe is pretty damn sure of this.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Site News