Counter Strike: Global Offensive Info Incoming

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Counter Strike: Global Offensive Info Incoming

Postby ad_hominem on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:41 am

BaRRaKID wrote:Something just crossed my mind, and it would be really nice if it happened:

CS:GO + DOTA2 + HL(ep)3 = Orange Box 2 :D

It kind o makes sense. CS:GO, from what was disclosed so far, is a small project made by another studio, like Portal 1 was when they made the orange box, so Valve probably wont charge much (if anything) for it. But since it's a cross platform game they need to have a retail release for the console tards so it makes sense to put it on sale together with a big title. Since DOTA2 will probably be f2p (like TF2 is now), the only options left are the next HL chapter, or a re-release of Portal 2.

They don't necessarily have to push for a retail release because of the consoles. I can easily see CS:GO coming out as an XBLA/PSN game alongside the Steam release, much like Battlefield 1943.
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby darkpivot on Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:26 pm

I agree. I can't see CS:GO being full retail, just a simple XBLA release. I'm sort of interested to see how CS will work on consoles. I still play a lot of CSS, but I'd never play it on consoles myself because there's just too much it's taking away gameplay wise.
darkpivot
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby ScarT on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:29 pm

darkpivot wrote:Where did you get that information from?

nub wrote:Some of that sounds like total bull shit to me. What's the source for that information?

http://www.playzone.cz/clanky/novy-coun ... e-na-ceste

Text_Fish wrote:The trouble is, anybody who got invited to playtest is going to be a huuuge fanboi of CS 1.6, CS:S or both and their opinion of the new iteration will be heavily biased by that.

Seeing as the majority of veteran developers are fleeing back to the PC platform like rats from a sinking ship I'd find it a highly dubious proposition that Valve would suddenly choose to go overly console heavy on one of their most valuable PC IP's right now.

nub hit the nail on the head re: my earlier comment btw.

Not Valve's game. They're just funding it.

BaRRaKID wrote:Something just crossed my mind, and it would be really nice if it happened:

CS:GO + DOTA2 + HL(ep)3 = Orange Box 2 :D

It kind o makes sense. CS:GO, from what was disclosed so far, is a small project made by another studio, like Portal 1 was when they made the orange box, so Valve probably wont charge much (if anything) for it. But since it's a cross platform game they need to have a retail release for the console tards so it makes sense to put it on sale together with a big title. Since DOTA2 will probably be f2p (like TF2 is now), the only options left are the next HL chapter, or a re-release of Portal 2.

Don't expect an Orange Box 2. Valve's business model made a u-turn since 2007.
ScarT

Postby Text_Fish on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Yes, they are funding it. And it's still their IP, and a highly respected one at that. So they're still not going to want to see it dragged through the mud, assuming they learnt anything from the Condition Zero fiasco.

It's all fairly moot at this point anyway considering the only "information" anybody has comes from fanboys who got to test a beta version of the product.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby nub on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:20 pm

ScarT wrote:http://www.playzone.cz/clanky/novy-counter-strike-na-ceste

Cool I can't read it.

Everyone's just assuming shit as it is anyway. That's all anybody ever does before enough official information from the developer(s) is actually released.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ark11 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:01 am

bekey wrote:
Ark11 wrote:
bekey wrote:
Ark11 wrote:I wish I could go to one of those game conventions where people can test it CSGO out. But I can't. Why aren't there any game conventions in Australia!?!?

Would they let you play an 18+ or 16+ game?

They allow 16+ games but 18+ games are banned or censored. We would have an 18+ rating if all the state premiers agreed on having it, all of them do agree except the SA premier (SA is a South Australia, which is a state).

Also @sourcemaps, keep in mind that the majority of video games aren't 18+.

Aren't you 14-15? Your profile here says so.

I am currently 15. But here is Australia we don't really have a 16+ rating. We have G, PG, M and MA15+.
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby Dives on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:13 am

South Australia actually gave it's approval for the 18+ rating in a more recent vote.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/10/austr ... 18-rating/
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby ScarT on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:49 am

Consolified game confirmed.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is planned for PC, Mac, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360--but ideally, Valve wants you to be able to square off against players of any platform. "We never want to create these 'islands of players'," Valve boss Gabe Newell said at Gamescom.
One of the real limitations of cross-platform play may be input devices. "You have to be sensitive to control differences, and make sure you're accommodating that, but you know, our view is players should be able to play as part of a community on whatever device they can," Newell told PCGames.de (via Blues News). He said that cross-platform play is "certainly our goal."
But, sometimes business realities get in the way. "You know, sometimes there are contractual, or other issues that make that hard, where somebody, a platform holder doesn’t want you to do that for whatever reason, but that’s always our preference. To let customers play and be part of the larger community." Of course, saying "a platform holder" instead of "Microsoft" was awfully tactful.
There is some hope for a cross-platform solution. Valve pushed for Steamworks and cross-platform play in Portal 2, and--minus the PlayStation Network outage--it seemed to work out fine and dandy. If cross-platform play is implemented, Sony will probably be up for letting Valve do it again with CS:GO. But will Microsoft relent to match their chief competitor?
ScarT

Postby nub on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:23 pm

I don't see how anyone who would play it on a console could possibly hope to win against decent PC players. A mouse and keyboard is vastly superior in a game like CS.

But from that article it does sound like they might end up only catering towards console players,; like adjusting much of the mechanics to compensate using a game pad rather than a keyboard and mouse. That would be incredibly shitty in my opinion.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby darkpivot on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:27 pm

nub wrote:I don't see how anyone who would play it on a console could possibly hope to win against decent PC players. A mouse and keyboard is vastly superior in a game like CS.

But from that article it does sound like they might end up only catering towards console players,; like adjusting much of the mechanics to compensate using a game pad rather than a keyboard and mouse. That would be incredibly shitty in my opinion.

If they even touch the way it controls on PC I don't think I'll be buying it.
darkpivot
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby source-maps on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:48 pm

nub wrote:I don't see how anyone who would play it on a console could possibly hope to win against decent PC players. A mouse and keyboard is vastly superior in a game like CS.

like I said on the first page

source-maps wrote:you guys know that Valve is a casual catering company now right, it will never be like cs 1.6 so don't get your hopes up
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby LordDz on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:16 pm

http://www.xcm.cc/
Totally useless cause you can just use a PC anyway, but the support is there :)
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby darkpivot on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:59 pm

LordDz wrote:

http://www.xcm.cc/
Totally useless cause you can just use a PC anyway, but the support is there :)

I know about those, but I heard of people getting banned for using those.
darkpivot
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby MaK on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:02 pm

CS:GO trailer debuting tonight at 1:05 am EST

https://twitter.com/#!/geoffkeighley/status/106728159147331584
MaK

Postby darkpivot on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Welp, looks like I'm staying up!
darkpivot