Penny Arcade Interviews Gabe Newell

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Penny Arcade Interviews Gabe Newell

Postby source-maps on Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:12 pm

Phott wrote:Even though Valve said they would finish the episodes.

funny thing about Valve is.. they say one thing.. surprise you and do the other thing
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Chrille on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:09 am

Valar wrote:I'm willing to bet there won't be any ep3. I think they're working on a full game.

Episode Three could just as well be a full game. It doesn't have to be short just because it has episode in the title.
Chrille
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gary on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:09 pm

Chrille wrote:Episode Three could just as well be a full game. It doesn't have to be short just because it has episode in the title.

This is exactly what I've been saying.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Valar on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:57 am

Didn't they renounce the episode model a while back?
Valar
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Chrille on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:11 am

And by episodic model they mean the model which they tried to develop the games after. It would make no sense to change the name of the last game to HL3 and have a broken trilogy, especially when they already promised HL3 would be an entirely new storyline. The game could be 20+ hours long and still be called Episode Three.

And what they said was actually this: “We went through the episodes phase, and now we’re going towards shorter and even shorter cycles,”
Chrille
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Valar on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:21 am

Not to be an ass but i srsly don't recall them promising a HL3 and/or it being a new story at that.
I do recall them talking about how the franchise will be continued. But that's basically all i know Valve had promised.
Valar
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Chrille on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:41 am

Valar wrote:Not to be an ass but i srsly don't recall them promising a HL3 and/or it being a new story at that.
I do recall them talking about how the franchise will be continued. But that's basically all i know Valve had promised.

I misspoke. It is Episode Three that is supposed to conclude the HL2 story-arc, but it means the same; that HL3 will be something new.
Chrille
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Plague on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Wasn't it Gabe who said that he'd have rather gone back and renamed the episodes "Half-Life 3: Episodes x" to make it more clear that the episodes represented a disjointed hl3.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Chrille on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Plague wrote:Wasn't it Gabe who said that he'd have rather gone back and renamed the episodes "Half-Life 3: Episodes x" to make it more clear that the episodes represented a disjointed hl3.

Something along those lines. But the next installment after EP3 will still obviously be called HL3, and be something entirely new.
Chrille
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby tron00 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:19 pm

This thread got the Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools fixed! When this interview was still fresh I sent Gabe an email referencing the article, thinking he would want feedback on it. I mentioned after all the article butt-kissing that Left 4 Dead's Authoring Tools had been broken for 16 months. He forwarded it to that team, who emailed me for more information, who then said "no problem, we'll send out a fix." It's fixed! Thanks, Interlopers!
tron00
Regular
Regular

Postby Plague on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:48 pm

Chrille wrote:
Plague wrote:Wasn't it Gabe who said that he'd have rather gone back and renamed the episodes "Half-Life 3: Episodes x" to make it more clear that the episodes represented a disjointed hl3.

Something along those lines. But the next installment after EP3 will still obviously be called HL3, and be something entirely new.

I don't see why they would, It seems to be the intention to make it a trilogy.
But then again I guess that could add a 4th. Who knows.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Valar on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:17 am

tron00 wrote:This thread got the Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools fixed! When this interview was still fresh I sent Gabe an email referencing the article, thinking he would want feedback on it. I mentioned after all the article butt-kissing that Left 4 Dead's Authoring Tools had been broken for 16 months. He forwarded it to that team, who emailed me for more information, who then said "no problem, we'll send out a fix." It's fixed! Thanks, Interlopers!

L4D or L4D2 ?
and What has been fixed?
Valar
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Dives on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:37 am

L4D1. The model browser was busted for a long time.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby tron00 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:51 pm

Dives wrote:L4D1. The model browser was busted for a long time.

16 months! Around the time they started supporting MACs. Now that they're moving towards smart phones, things will break left and right!
tron00
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Site News