Black Mesa Source is released

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Black Mesa Source is released

Postby Gary on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:02 am

Haven't got far, but I must say; the intro/train ride mapping was some of the best mapping I've seen...
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Epifire on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:46 am

My downloads are still not unpacking for some reason. They turn up invalid and will not extract. Seems like a bunch of other people on Moddb are having the same issue, so I am hoping the devs will provide a new download or help out in some other way to resolve it.
Epifire

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:04 am

i downloaded via desura. worked perfectly.

this is without a doubt the greatest Source mod that has ever been made, and it may never be topped by anyone...not even Valve.

Unless Valve makes a new engine, that is...then the BMS will have to make Half-Life 2: Source 2. They will become the HL2:S2 team.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Shr3d on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:54 am

Until* VALVe releases their new engine :)
Shr3d

Postby Armageddon on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:14 am

Finished it, just amazing other than no floating babies until the final battle. And cutting the whole vent crawling section. And the undetailed place at the start of Blast Pit. But amazing and I'm glad there was no Xen, the game is long enough as is and the ending felt like an ending.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Wills on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:29 pm

Finished it with goosebumps almost too prickly to handle. It was worth the wait. Just incredible; an astonishing and monumental recreation of a masterpiece. It was exciting, exhilarating, challenging and beautiful. I'd forgotten how smart and brutal the grunts and assassins were. The difference between the scripted cannon fodder of some of today's COD clones versus enemies that rapidly path find, work together, attempt to flush you out and strike fast made the wonderfully paced battle's feel panicked and terrifying.

I only came across two game breaking moments throughout the whole experience: I got stuck on the second crusher during Residue Processing and couldn't get past it without NOCLIP and I blew up the Tank in the Transit Maintenance Center towards the end of Surface Tension/Forget about Freeman before it blew up the wall, thereby creating a path for me.

Although the pacing and original work is that of Valve's (and it doesn't feel aged at all), the work the Black Mesa developers have put into this is just beautiful... I'm happy with where it ended too, although I know Xen is coming, it seemed right to leave it here, it almost curtails better in Half-Life 2. I leap into the teleporter and BAM I'm on a train outside City 17... what the fuck? That would be awesome.

Astonishing. I'm off to start playing it again.
Jailbreaksource.net | Andy Wills

Maps, Textures, Modelling, Animation, Skins, Voices, Sound and Graphics

Wills
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby zombie@computer on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:25 pm

Those assasins are pretty much impossible to defeat on hard, lol. I'm not that much of a fps player but man, i died a few thousand times in that last part near the lambda core.

I've had the game crash on me quite often tho, really shame because the rest of the game surpasses amateur level.
Mapping is top notch. Especially lambda core levels are awesome. Shame they left in the teleport 'maze'; Didnt like it in hl1, dont like it in bms.

On a sidenote:
Highlight to read:
Anyone also had trouble finding the pumps in the lambda core? The signs say the pumps were up, but at least in #2 they were very much 'down'. I actually used a barnacle to get me to the top floor, only to realize i had to go back down because the entrance to the pump was at -2.

On a more important matter:
Highlight to read:
What is the hidden hat mentioned in the achievements?
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Chrille on Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:15 pm

I always set-up tripmines and position myself in a corner when dealing with assassins. Makes it fun to fight them, and lure them into traps. The teleporter maze I also found really easy :) the large HECU fights were a bitch, though, on hard. And lambdacore was a clusterfuck of me trying to find my way around the pump areas

Highlight to read:
The hat is in the container bay in Lambda Core where the assassins are:
http://i.imgur.com/8WrmB.jpg
Chrille
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby cpl. punishment on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:11 pm

zombie@computer wrote:On a more important matter:
Highlight to read:
What is the hidden hat mentioned in the achievements?

Highlight to read:
I don't know if there's more than two, but there's one in the image Chrille posted, and a second one through one of the teleports in lambda core (either 5 or 6, IIRC).
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Smurftyours on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:28 pm

The pump areas were fucking confusing.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Armageddon on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:53 pm

The teleport maze is my favorite part of Half-Life 1. :(
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby srredfire on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:27 am

My opinion is that it was an excellent re-imagining of Half-Life, but I disagree with Arma and Wills 100%. I think that the ending was literally the worst ending of a game and/or mod EVER.

The ending is the equivalent of if you were playing Ocarina of Time, and right after you collect all the medallions and the bridge to Ganon's Castle is created, you walk inside the front doors, and the credits start.

Or you walk into Bowser's Castle and the credits start.

Basically just pumps you up saying, "YEAH LET'S KICK SOME ASS" and then you just STOP.

They should have just waited. It had been, what, 7 years? A few more years wouldn't have mattered. They should have waited until all of it was done and then we could have a full game instead of cutting the last 1/4th of the game off and now we have to wait AGAIN for God knows how long.

It was a bad move and I think it was really stupid for them to do this.

That being said what they released was amazing and I love it and blah blah.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Vicpop on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:31 am

The hat is hidden in a cargo crate at the beginning of lambda complex.
Vicpop
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Epifire on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:32 am

Hope they get some good way for people to be able to play from the Xen off of their save point in the end of this version otherwise I agree, it would be a pretty bad move to release most the game and then overright that with the full version later. Then all those people that played it through before may be much more hesitant to play it again just to go to Xen, but I know I would anyway just because I am a hardcore fan. That reminds me I still need to finnish the original HL 1 cause I stopped on the Interlopers chapter. I am no old fan and played the HL series backward so give me a break.
Epifire

Postby otihome2469 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:45 am

Just beat it and like many have said already, wow. It truly felt like a valve game and it had plenty of 90's nostalgia all the way through. The game was actually pretty challenging on normal unlike most games today which was a welcome change. Major props to the BMS team.
otihome2469
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

PreviousNext

Return to Site News