My time with the Steam Controller

Comment on the news articles here.

My time with the Steam Controller

Postby Blink on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:41 pm

Tommy Refenes (developer behind Super Meat Boy) has posted his thoughts on an early prototype of the Steam Controller:

If you were to ask me if I would play games with the Steam Controller…I would say yes. If you were to ask me to choose between Steam Controller and a 360 controller, I would choose 360. Don’t take that as slight to the controller though because it’s more about the comfort of familiarity over functionality.

Read the full rundown on his Tumblr.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Re: My time with the Steam Controller

Postby [Steve] on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Very cool ! i cant wait to try one out for myself.
Also Dejobaan Game's developer tells us a little about his experience with the controller on his twitterhttps://twitter.com/larsiusprime/status/383677179910836224
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby nub on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:39 pm

A very reassuring read, honestly. If Refenes is saying this, then the controller should do fine with a little more tweaking. Considering Valve's full support on modding the controller, I wonder if they're planning on making the track pads modular to a degree. Refenes mentioned briefly in the article that during his testing, he suggested to the engineer that adding tactile nubs to the pads would go a long way in helping players know exactly where buttons are located. Valve had already discussed the idea previously as well. The idea of modular pads would make this controller extremely enticing for players. It would be awesome if they shipped these with two sets of pads; a pair without the nubs, and a pair with them.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MaK on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:51 am

The tactile nubs are there by default now. They're just the two circles you see on the pads, there's no reason to not have them. I'm glad the controller is getting some positive feedback, granted Refenes doesn't play FPS's and such. I still can't really imagine how you would play a fighting game with this.
MaK

Postby nub on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:58 am

Don't most hardcore players use arcade sticks for fighters anyway? Hell, even Razer came out with their own arcade stick. Plus, I guarantee there will be a way to get a 360 pad working on Steam OS. Microsoft probably won't release official drivers, but someone's bound to hack their own drivers up. Or Motion Joy will make its way to Steam OS.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Site News