Steam Machines - Prototype Details

Comment on the news articles here.

Steam Machines - Prototype Details

Postby Blink on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:35 pm

Valve have released some hardware details regarding the upcoming Steam machines:

The prototype machine is a high-end, high-performance box, built out of off-the-shelf PC parts. It is also fully upgradable, allowing any user to swap out the GPU, hard drive, CPU, even the motherboard if you really want to. Apart from the custom enclosure, anyone can go and build exactly the same machine by shopping for components and assembling it themselves. And we expect that at least a few people will do just that. (We'll also share the source CAD files for our enclosure, in case people want to replicate it as well.)

Full details can be found in this press release.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Re: Steam Machines - Prototype Details

Postby zombie@computer on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:46 pm

Since we already knew it was just going to be another basic computer with mobo, cpu and gpu and peripherals in a customized case you could upgrade as you go (thus rendering the exact contents a lot less interesting), wouldn't it be MUCH MUCH MUCH more interesting to SEE HOW IT FRIGGING LOOKED LIKE?

its like when Toyota announces their new cars by just telling you they can put a 2L diesel or 1.5L gasoline engine in it...
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby nub on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Yeah it's a bit of an odd announcement, but the fact that they plan on releasing CAD files for the chassis design was a bit unexpected. I imagine that's going to make a lot of case modders out there very happy. Also, I think they want to release pictures of what the enclosure looks like when the time is right rather than just toss it out there. Maybe for more "wow" factor or something. Meh.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sathor on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:42 am

Oh well, to me, a console or a pc has always been a working machine. I have a Chieftec case because it offers enough space, not because it looks cool.
So I guess I am not too excited about that.
Although for the use in a living room it might be a good idea to actually have a case with an interesting or at least neat design.
Sathor

Postby nub on Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:08 pm

For me, a case isn't solely about space. I own a really cheap Corsair 200R but it's built with good materials, has good airflow, and cable management features to boot. So for $60 I got a case that, while minimal, looks good, runs cool, and has clean cable management (no ugly birds nest made of cables). I would never buy some cheap $30 case made of crappy materials and an interior that has no real cable management features or anything. That's just my personal take on cases. Of course, I don't think it's necessary to go out and pay $150+ on a case. My case only cost me $60.

One case I'd love to migrate my system to is a Fractal Design R4. It has a very sleek Scandinavian design that's built to run super quiet and it's not really expensive.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Site News