Music Comes To Steam

Comment on the news articles here.

Music Comes To Steam

Postby [Steve] on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:37 pm

Valve has announced their plans to add music management and playback support to Steam, and they will soon be inviting users from the Steam music community group to partake in a beta of these features.

“With Steam Music, you can now listen to your music collection while playing games. Once you’ve pointed Steam to your local music directory, your Steam Library will include Album and Artist views of your collection.”

This is a pretty awesome and unexpected addition to Steam, and personally as someone that listens to a lot of music (whilst gaming and working) I am really excited to see Steam expand in this direction. Perhaps in the future we will see soundtracks available in the store.
What do you guys think? Is this a feature a lot of you would make use of ? Let me know what you think in the comments.

Check out more info here.
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Re: Music Comes To Steam

Postby Oskmos on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 pm

They should partner up with Spotify
Oskmos
Regular
Regular

Postby [Steve] on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:20 pm

Apparently it will have Spotify support, at least according to CyborgMatt

https://twitter.com/Cyborgmatt/statuses/430416908903776256
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby MaK on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:17 pm

+1 valve for Boards of Canada.
MaK

Postby SM Sith Lord on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:17 pm

I hope Steam Music features make their way into the Steamworks API, so I can do stuff like grab information about the track currently being played, or have Anarchy Arcade send a message to Steam Music to start playing a specific MP3.

Hopefully a video player will be added next. :)
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby no00dylan on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:18 pm

This is neat as heck.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:19 am

SM Sith Lord wrote:I hope Steam Music features make their way into the Steamworks API, so I can do stuff like grab information about the track currently being played, or have Anarchy Arcade send a message to Steam Music to start playing a specific MP3.

They already have a video player.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby LordDz on Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:02 am

Will it include the Half-Life 3 soundtrack?
SM Sith Lord wrote:I hope Steam Music features make their way into the Steamworks API, so I can do stuff like grab information about the track currently being played, or have Anarchy Arcade send a message to Steam Music to start playing a specific MP3.

"Ooh I see you're listening to Justin Bieber, let me just spawn you some Zombines behind your back".
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby SM Sith Lord on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:21 pm

Armageddon wrote:They already have a video player.

Really? How do I access it? I must have missed it when it was released.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby nub on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:44 am

I wonder if they plan on giving aspiring artists the option to post their own music on the Steam Community to share it with other users.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby [Steve] on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:21 pm

nub wrote:I wonder if they plan on giving aspiring artists the option to post their own music on the Steam Community to share it with other users.

That would be great.
I hope they add a music library like the games library so i can download and listen to music i have purchased at any pc with steam.
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby nub on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:31 am

[Steve] wrote:That would be great.
I hope they add a music library like the games library so i can download and listen to music i have purchased at any pc with steam.

Yeah it would be a bold step for Valve, but I personally think it would take off in no time. Sound Cloud was a cool place to post music back in the day, but they recently started restricting free users more by reducing the amount of functionality their account has. You used to be able to "update a mix" that you previously uploaded without having to upload a separate track. That way you could keep all the statistics (plays, downloads, comments) the old mix brought with it without having to use up more minutes on your account. For some reason they decided to remove that feature from free users to try and get them to pay for the premium service. So now free users have to decide if they want to keep their statistics at the cost of minutes, or lose statistics to save on minutes. You can pay monthly for double the hours, but to me it's totally not worth it. There's an unlimited subscription, but it's way too expensive for artists who aren't well-known.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Site News