Mid February update

Comment on the news articles here.

Mid February update

Postby [Steve] on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:09 pm

Community Spotlight.

This month’s Community spotlight was an easy choice.
De_coldwater
Mendax has created a gorgeous winter time battleground, featuring the unique architecture of a traditional German village. The map is a defuse map and has a superb layout with two well-designed bomb sites.

ImageImageImage

Check out the thread here, and be sure to subscribe to the map on the CS:GO workshop.

Steam Dev Days.

Valve has released 19 hours’ worth of video presentations from their Dev Days event that was held earlier this January. You can view the individual presentations on their new YouTube page.

The videos cover a vast quantity of different subjects from vr to virtual economies and much more. I strongly recommend watching as many as you can. They contain tons of useful information, valuable to both veteran and aspiring developers. I found that even the subjects that were not initially of much interest to me proved to be fascinating and insightful talks.

Let’s hope they repeat this event next year.

For more info click here.

CS:GO got sticky and added some new things.

A recent patch saw the introduction of a series of stickers that you can stick on to your weapons as a new form of weapon customization.
You will now get Sticker Capsules drop whilst playing the game, these require a special key to open.
This update also saw the addition of grenade tossing. You can now use the secondary fire button to toss a grenade along the floor.

A separate patch on the 12th of February introduced the third CSGO weapon case and also an entirely new weapon, the CZ75 - Auto.
The CZ75 is Counter Strikes first ever fully automatic pistol.

Click here to read the full blog post.

I’m still not completely sold on the idea of weapon skins, what do you guys think about them?

Steam added another new feature, Tags!

You are now able to Tag games and software in the steam store to help filter the vast catalogue that steam now has to offer.
This feature is still in beta and has been experiencing some growing pains in the form of abusive and misleading tagging.
However it has the potential to change the way we shop for games on steam, making it easier to discover games that fit our individual tastes.

Click here for more details.

Posters

A parcel from Phil Co (Valve) arrived a few days ago with some really awesome signed posters for us to give away to the winners of our next Interlopers mapping competition. So any competition ideas?

[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Re: Mid February update

Postby Oskmos on Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:53 pm

competition idea: short singelplayer map. max playtime 10 minutes
Oskmos
Regular
Regular

Postby Jeeves on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Congrats Mendax

Steve wrote:This update also saw the addition of grenade tossing. You can now use the secondary fire button to toss a grenade along the floor.

For those without GO, what is the difference between this and just binding nades to an arbitrary button?.

Thanks
Undue Punishment : 'An experimental FP Fighting game with stealth elements. ' -- TBD
Torn : 'A First Person RTS ' -- In Development as of 03/2014
Jeeves
Regular
Regular

Postby Knights on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:07 pm

It's funny how Gabe comes on stage and starts off "I'm Gabe Newell". :P
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby jimonions on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:14 pm

In hl2 with the grenade equipped you were able to roll it along the floor with right mouse button while left would throw. I think that's what they did in cs:go now?

Also I'm all for a mapping competition, Going to bring my A game no messing around.
I think I would really enjoy making a short singleplayer map perhaps based on a theme and/or setting.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby Smurftyours on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:18 pm

How many of these wonderful posters was interlopers granted?
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Armageddon on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:43 pm

I want posters. Singleplayer map contest is a good idea I think just in a HL2 theme.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Sathor on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 am

Jeeves wrote:Congrats Mendax

Steve wrote:This update also saw the addition of grenade tossing. You can now use the secondary fire button to toss a grenade along the floor.

For those without GO, what is the difference between this and just binding nades to an arbitrary button?.

Thanks

Well, without having played it since the update, I'd say you can now toss it in a low arch, instead of the high arch that is the standard throw.
Sathor

Postby Dr. Delta on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:41 pm

Sathor wrote:
Jeeves wrote:Congrats Mendax

Thanks

Well, without having played it since the update, I'd say you can now toss it in a low arch, instead of the high arch that is the standard throw.

You can drop it right in front of you (so perfect for really close around a corner) and somewhere in the middle of the normal throw; well, and hard/far like with the previous/normal throw.

How many posters?

And I think a SP competition would be sweet, not sure if it should be HL2 themed and/if/or you can use content from other Source games.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jeeves on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:31 am

Totally forgot about that being in HL2!, really is a good feature. cheers all for the reminder.
Undue Punishment : 'An experimental FP Fighting game with stealth elements. ' -- TBD
Torn : 'A First Person RTS ' -- In Development as of 03/2014
Jeeves
Regular
Regular

Postby Hollow on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:27 am

It should be Portal-themed since that's what the signed poster is of!
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Dr. Delta on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Hollow wrote:It should be Portal-themed since that's what the signed poster is of!
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Smurftyours on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:22 pm

That is a terrible idea. Whatever the topic ends up being, it should be able to be approached by ANY source engine game, which would allow for the most variety of entries to be submitted.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Hollow on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:11 am

Pfft. So when was the last time we had a decent mapping competition? And what did the best entries come out of? Strict themes or requirements. Opening it up to every Source platform & game imaginable only serves to make the whole thing more messy. The best ideas are usually created out of the limitations you have to work around. I could work in the deferred Alien Swarm branch of Source then if it's going to be rated based off visuals (as it always is), which simply isn't fair for everyone else.

And plus, if it's supposed to be a mapping competition, shouldn't it be restricted to one game that we can all play? Rather requiring to download 15 different maps for 5 different games. That's just dumb. I think the reason our map battles have died a quiet death is because we only assess them off their aesthetic properties, not if they actually play well. Maybe we should be emphasizing that for once. Only a small percentage of this community has the capabilities of creating great environment art, whereas the vast majority here do level design, but never get the opportunities to show off their skills. If we want to keep making pretty looking pictures and nothing playable, then yeah, this forum is going to fade out completely without a whimper. All other design & art forums are far more active in their community competitions than here, so if we want to make the effort of putting on a decent battle, we need to be clear and concise, instead of 'yeah, use every engine branch which all have different capabilities, AI, models, visuals etc'
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby MaK on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Well said Hollow.
MaK

Next

Return to Site News