Dota 2 Workshop Tools Alpha Release

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Dota 2 Workshop Tools Alpha Release

Postby plagueofburia on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi I do have some questions as I am not sure what this update is. Sorry for ignorance.

I don't own DOTA 1 or 2, does one need to own these games to be able to use the tools?

Is this really a new hammer tool?

If this is a new hammer, is it possible to move all my data from the previous hammer( I am working with HL2 ep2) into this new hammer? ( Data = as in scripts, models, textures everything I guess from HL2) Or is this new hammer not compatible with the previous games, the previous version of hammer?

My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD5800, is there a minimum graphics card needed to run this new hammer?

I have a feeling that it is probably better if I stay working in orange box hammer. Is this so? I mean I would like new tools that can help me create ideas more easily, I hope one understands that.

Thanks if anyone can answer.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby marnamai on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:03 pm

Dota 2 is free to play, you can download it and the tools.

Yes it's a completely new toolset

You can import vmf's but a lot of stuff will be broken. There is no point trying to port your mod now without a decent basegame.

The requirements are a 64 bits os and a directX11capable gpu.

Best stick with source1 for now.

The only benefit in learning the source 2 toolset now is having a headstart when hl3 releases.
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:47 am

This toolset would be sick for an aRPG (like Diablo) mod. Is there a maximum map size like in the old Hammer?

It's too bad I prefer League over Dota, but the new editor looks cool anyway. I just can't imagine the tile editor system being very useful in a game like Half Life.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby stoopdapoop on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:08 am

marnamai wrote:ever wondered how source2 would handle 5 million polygons? 10-15 fps
x4?
20 million polygons? 0-4 fps

I realize that this is probably more for fun than to be informative, but I'm still going to say that that's not a good benchmark because when you have so many sub-pixel triangles you end up stressing the rasterizer(which is basically the part that turns your verts into fragments that might eventually become shaded pixels) more than anything else. Also, when you have crazy micropolies like that then MSAA starts to become VERY VERY expensive, so if you have it on you might get an unusually large boost by disabling it.

If you really want to see what kind of vertex throughput the engine has (which is a really really really strange thing to want to know, btw) then you'd want to use a different mesh, and you'd want to look at it differently.

also, on all hardware that I've tested it's slower to display wireframes than it is to display filled quads, and if they're generating the wireframes the same way they do in source, then you're rendering twice as many polygons as you think you are. so 10 million and 40 million respectively.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jigglenomicon on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:27 pm

This thing is cool, i have already managed to import a simple model with texture.
Unfortunately i cant for the life of me figure out most of the hammer functions like displacements and vertex painting.
I figured that i just had to plop down a brush and use the tools, but nothing happens when i try them.

Oh yea.. and the model dont appear when i put it in a map and compile the thing, but i think that is just a matter of figuring out the right file placement in the addon folder.
Jigglenomicon
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby MaK on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:52 pm

Jigglenomicon wrote:Unfortunately i cant for the life of me figure out most of the hammer functions like displacements and vertex painting.
I figured that i just had to plop down a brush and use the tools, but nothing happens when i try them.

Create a mesh with the block tool, then select a face. Scroll down in the tool properties and click increase subdivision. After that you can use the displacement and paint tool normally.

MaK

Postby plagueofburia on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:55 pm

marnamai thanks for the answers. The tools sound really good, they look awesome but I guess not for me right now. I think my graphics card supports direct X 11. Hopefully at some point I would like to try the tool set out, and if I could somehow move my work over at a later time to these tools that would be very great.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby Jigglenomicon on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:51 am

MaK wrote:Create a mesh with the block tool, then select a face. Scroll down in the tool properties and click increase subdivision. After that you can use the displacement and paint tool normally.

Ah thanks :)
Jigglenomicon
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby no00dylan on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:34 am

Wow. I was just in the area, what on earth is all this?
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby [KIRBY] on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:44 am

dota 2 got soft ported to source 2 and this is source 2 hammer for dota 2, pretty damn good imo
I prefer ue4 atm tho, waiting for valve to release proper sdk for source 2
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby Carbon14 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:19 pm

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:apparently the anti-mage is a 9ft tall supermutant and the antlions are the creeps.

Maybe I am just hopeful but he is 184 units tall, and if those units are considered as glorious metric centimetres and not barbaric archaic imperial inches then he is 6ft tall. Valve is going metric and ditching "inch" size grids, HELL YEAH?! (well at least it appears they have for Dota at least)
Carbon14
Regular
Regular

Postby Sathor on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:27 am

Carbon14 wrote:
joe_rogers_11155 wrote:apparently the anti-mage is a 9ft tall supermutant and the antlions are the creeps.

Maybe I am just hopeful but he is 184 units tall, and if those units are considered as glorious metric centimetres and not barbaric archaic imperial inches then he is 6ft tall. Valve is going metric and ditching "inch" size grids, HELL YEAH?! (well at least it appears they have for Dota at least)

Will still depend on whether these units are actually similar to real world centimeters to be actually useful. The hammer units didnt really represent inches, either ... The scale was totally off if you tried to do that.
Sathor

Postby Carbon14 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Sathor wrote:
Carbon14 wrote:

Will still depend on whether these units are actually similar to real world centimeters to be actually useful. The hammer units didnt really represent inches, either ... The scale was totally off if you tried to do that.

I wouldn't say totally off, gameplay was totally off if you tried to make everything to scale, but visually it wasn't. It's amazing that you barely notice this in half life though. here is a picture of a door made to scale if it were in inches, and default half life one. As you can see Barney looks like a child next to the HL2 door. Doors, corridors etc were made huge in half-life 2 because the player is 32 units wide and they decided to stick with this for consistency to the original half-life. 32 units will literally not even fit through a standard door, a normal human should be able to squeeze through probably 1/3 that space, or at least half.

I am hoping that with the next iterations of their games they are very seriously looking at scaling, and making it so the player can easily traverse the environment at the correct scale. I am pretty sure they will be doing this too, since they seem to be taking at least some interest in VR, and I think it will be a big deal for environments to be to scale if VR is involved. All of a sudden objects will appear to be the physically that size, and you will start to notice ridiculously huge doors and oil drums etc.
Carbon14
Regular
Regular

Postby Xyos212 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:34 pm

Finally Valve is moving out of the STONE AGE!
Avatar images are 130x130 - Please refer to the Forum Rules.
Xyos212
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Site News