De_Forest Released

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Postby JLea on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:08 am

:shock:
JLea
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby oneups on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:33 am

Holy Shit man. Just ran through it. Looks amazing, runs wells. I'll have to test it out through Lan sometime (when someone steals me away from TF2) but non the less, great work. Easily the best forest/woods related map I've seen in a long time.

Great work. Welcome.
oneups
Regular
Regular

Postby brisck1 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:33 am

wow thanks guys! :)

yes its all custom content with the exception of maybe 2-3 valve textures. If you'd have asked me 6 months ago if Source was capable of doing a dense forest map I probably would have laughed! Im really happy that you guys like it and am looking forward to seeing some big matches going on too!
brisck1

Postby Vorneus on Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:35 am

Here's my take..

Visually stunning. Just had a run through of it and I found next to no visual anomalies. Just a few shadows here and there, and an instance where you'd obviously leaned a roof onto a rock face and subsequently distorted the rock displacement slightly, leaving a gap and the roof floating in mid air ^^

I've run around it for about 30 minutes now, and every pass I do brings out more subtleties and intricate details than the last. Excellent use of volumetric lighting, model placement, and all the intricacies of source so overused or overlooked by other mappers. It's simply superb. The dragonflies are a stroke of genius. I am actually curious as to how you've scripted them. Are they just models with a set sequence? I took AI with Computer Science as an undergraduate and am now doing a masters in Intelligent Systems, and have been trying to figure out a way to get emergent behaviour into a CS map without having to make it a mod and create new entities. Suffice to say I have thus far been unsuccessful :) The main reason I wanted to do this was for a simple system of moths/flies around a light bulb. Anyway, if indeed the dragonflies DON'T follow a set movement sequence, I'd be very interested to learn how you achieved this :)

So, in closing. I have virtually no gripes with the map, and those I do have are negligible - such as the model cubemap being too bright in one of the dark indoor areas, and some detail sprites of daisies/dandelions here and there which I felt were a little too stretched.

Excellent work.

-Ed
It's all about the atmosphere.

-Portfolio-

Current project: de_fusion (I'll finish it someday, probably)
Vorneus
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Dryn on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:06 am

Quite possibly the most original and greatest custom map I've played on. Fucking inspiring.

By the way, could anyone please tell me what those tall straight trees are called, and better yet where to find them :twisted:
Dryn
Regular
Regular

Postby JakeParlay on Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:12 pm

looks insanely good :D
JakeParlay

Postby brisck1 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:01 pm

Vorneus wrote:Here's my take..

Visually stunning. Just had a run through of it and I found next to no visual anomalies. Just a few shadows here and there, and an instance where you'd obviously leaned a roof onto a rock face and subsequently distorted the rock displacement slightly, leaving a gap and the roof floating in mid air ^^

I've run around it for about 30 minutes now, and every pass I do brings out more subtleties and intricate details than the last. Excellent use of volumetric lighting, model placement, and all the intricacies of source so overused or overlooked by other mappers. It's simply superb. The dragonflies are a stroke of genius. I am actually curious as to how you've scripted them. Are they just models with a set sequence? I took AI with Computer Science as an undergraduate and am now doing a masters in Intelligent Systems, and have been trying to figure out a way to get emergent behaviour into a CS map without having to make it a mod and create new entities. Suffice to say I have thus far been unsuccessful :) The main reason I wanted to do this was for a simple system of moths/flies around a light bulb. Anyway, if indeed the dragonflies DON'T follow a set movement sequence, I'd be very interested to learn how you achieved this :)

So, in closing. I have virtually no gripes with the map, and those I do have are negligible - such as the model cubemap being too bright in one of the dark indoor areas, and some detail sprites of daisies/dandelions here and there which I felt were a little too stretched.

Excellent work.

-Ed

Thank you! Actually, im quite embarrased to say it but the dragon flies were just a func_fishpool entity with custom models (instead of fish) and a large radius for them to move around in! no fancy coding on my part im affraid :P
brisck1

Postby jmplayer on Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:27 pm

This puts Episode 2 to shame, good job, and get a levl designer job at Valve already.
[url='http://s341.photobucket.com/albums/o369/jmplayer_2008/']Working Title Orange Box Map Images[/url]

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/jmplayer/

Dread Alert map [WIP] First map beta.
jmplayer
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Yackety on Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:32 pm

Played it, loved it. All the little details I was able to see when I looked around me, PERFECT. The campsite for one was absolutely stunning. The run-down shacks really look like what they should look like and damn thats good. Shadows in some few parts looked a bit odd, but that's only a very minor thing. Nice job, keep it up. :)
Last edited by Yackety on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yackety

Postby Zipfinator on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:06 pm

Well after playing through it, I have to say the only few things I can find that I don't like is that you just started with a square displacement wall, which you could have made more original and not just a huge square, and some of the flowers and plants would have looked much better as models in my opinion, and should not be in the path sometimes as it blocks your view greatly and doesn't look very good. Otherwise it looks great and seems as if it would play well in a real match.
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mephasto on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:52 pm

now we need 40player servers running, i love all those spots where you can hide.. i dont think its good for small number games like with ~10players as you get lost damn quick and its big map. did test it on random server and fps rate was good, snipers own in this one.
Mephasto
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby EagleStrike on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:26 pm

If I swore as much as I wanted to, just to show you my exclamation of excitement and glee for this map I am pretty sure Blink would ban me, so instead, you will have to settle for a calm well done... :wink:
As I Walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Will Fear No Evil, Cos I'm The Meanest Fucker In The Valley...
EagleStrike
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby BaRRaKID on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Sweet Jesus and Mary having sex on a tree with a pregnant transsexual, that's like better then fucking your best friends hot mom and sister :O
Love the map, great work!
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mastersmith98 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:46 pm

were did you get that nice foliage? it looks so beautiful :"D

EDIT: I just read that it was your own, please please can I have some?
MaK: I pwnd that Hello World and Variables tutorials
MaK: Now I'm downloading the Direct X SDK
mastersmith98
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby brisck1 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:05 pm

****UPDATE****
I noticed that alot of people were commenting on a lack of ambient sound, I just checked and I forgot to include my custom soudscape and soundfiles!!

I am currently updating the ZIP file to include these files, simply redownload and re-extract to your CS folder (not your maps folder!). Give it around 10 mins from this post to let it upload fully, thanks!
brisck1

PreviousNext

Return to Showcase