Map Battles - General Rules

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Map Battles - General Rules

Postby BaRRaKID on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:22 pm

Here are the rules that apply to every map battle. Specific rules are added in the thread for each battle when needed.

-Rules-

Definition:

A Map Battle is a contest in which each mapper has to do the most visually appealing scene according to a given theme.
The battle is divided in two stages, first is the development of the maps, and the second the vote.

The design section moderator will attempt to start the battle's development stage at the 1st of the month. The development stage lasts for approximately 3 weeks, followed by a voting round of roughly 1 week.

In some cases a battle theme vote will precede the development stage, allowing the moderater to obtain some insight into the likings of possible contestants. This vote is not binding.

Once the last stage is finished the first 3 scored mappers will be given a score of 10, 9 and 8 according to their position, the rest are given a score by the administrator from 7.5 to 0. This scores are then update on the global ranking.

General Rules:

- The map has to follow the theme given for each battle.

- The map must be made in any official game for the source engine, this includes: Half-Life 2, Half-Life: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal, Portal 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day Of Defeat: Source and Half-Life: Lost Coast.

- You can use maps that you had already made, but that have never been used in any of the other battles. When using an already made map, be sure that it fits with the theme, so that you don't get disqualified. Previous work is permitted only if the work is comprehensively revised to make it an appropriate map battle entry, and to make it appropriate to the theme, and ensuring it complies with the other rules. If your previous work is likely to be controversial or you're unsure it suits the theme well enough, contact the battle administrator in advance

- You can use custom content. When using custom content which you did not made, make sure you have permission to use it.

- The map can be made by more then one person, however the points given will be divided by the number or mappers involved in the map using the formula NumPoints/NumMappers+2, to give a more fair score to everyone.

- The maps are judged according to their visual quality, so make them look the best you can.

- The maps don't need to be playable. You just have to create a scene which is visually good, not a full playable map, so don't worry about stuff like optimization, or gameplay.

- Keep in the spirit of things and show off your work in progress shots.

Posting Screenshots:

- Work In Progress and Final screenshots have to be posted on the appropriate thread for each battle.

- Mappers can only post 3 final screenshots, and as many wip screenshots as they want. When posting the final screenshots always provide a direct link to them instead of a thumbnail, or any other sort of link.

- When posting your screenshots always explain if they are final or wip. If you don't label your screenshots as final, they won’t be accepted.

- The final screenshots most be taken in-game with proper light (no full-bright please), and textured. This means, finish your map before posting it!

Usage of extra software:

- Usage of Garry’s mod to take screenshots, and to place ragdolls/npcs, or props (especially props) is forbidden. Only the map is taken in consideration, so making this won't help you much.

- Additional mods, which in some way allow you to have an unfair advantage (by providing additional visual features for example), are strictly forbidden.

- You can't use any kind of image/photo manipulation software to enhance your screenshots. You can however use them to crop/resize the images, add your name/e-mail/site/etc and add a frame/logo.

- Any type of 3d and 2d software is allowed to use in order to create custom content for the map.

Any author of a map which is suspected of not following the rules will be contacted by an administrator using a private message requiring the original vmf file and all the content used. If the author does not provide the map in one week after the request he will be disqualified.

note: rules marked in green have been added or changed on 15-Aug-08 by Jester
note: rules/additions marked in red have been added or updated on 26-jun-10 by 904
Last edited by 904 on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: added portals and l4d2 to the allowed list, plus added info about the timing of the battles
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BaRRaKID on Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:37 pm

You can post sugestions here btw :P
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Shr3d on Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:41 pm

the 3 final screenshots can't be too similar ?
Either supply different screenies or fewer than 3.

eg made a boat, u take a pic of the boat from the water, then noclip above where u were like 5m and tkae a shot.
Shr3d

Postby Jest@ on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:50 pm

Shr3d wrote:the 3 final screenshots can't be too similar ?

eg made a boat, u take a pic of the boat from the water, then noclip above where u were like 5m and tkae a shot.

meh, if people wanna waste their screenshots doing near-identical shots, let 'em, I say.
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ~}A{~TF2 on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:30 pm

Jest@ wrote:
Shr3d wrote:the 3 final screenshots can't be too similar ?

meh, if people wanna waste their screenshots doing near-identical shots, let 'em, I say.

It only helps the rest of us if they do that 8)
Please stop by my Portfolio and leave a comment or two while you're in the area ;) :http://www.interlopers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18183
Signature images are 400x100 - Please refer to the Forum Rules.
~}A{~TF2
Regular
Regular

Re: Map Battles General Rules

Postby Kolezan on Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:39 am

BaRRaKID wrote:- Keep in the spirit of things and show off your work in progress shots.

Is this now a rule? :shock:
Kolezan
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Re: Map Battles General Rules

Postby Shr3d on Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:20 am

Kolezan wrote:
BaRRaKID wrote:- Keep in the spirit of things and show off your work in progress shots.

Is this now a rule? :shock:

More of a 'guideline'
Shr3d

Postby BaRRaKID on Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:18 am

That's not new... you guys just don't read the rules :P
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby xoqolatl on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:23 pm

Can I use textures from different game? I cant distribute them but i'll only be showing screenshots, so i don't need a permission, right?
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby cypher543 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:32 pm

Can a rule be added that says "I'll participate" messages (and its derivatives) are not allowed? It's annoying to sift through two or more pages of "Count me in" before finally getting to some screenshots.
cypher543
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Jest@ on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:16 am

Well...you should try and get permission, if that's feasible (like if it's a mod or small game). I don't think it counts as a copyright breach, but just to save my ass in case it does, i better make a little disclaimer...

By submitting screenshots, contestants agree that any copyright infringements that result from your entry are your responsibility, and yours alone - neither myself nor interlopers.net assume any responsibility in the event of ensuing legal action.

*phew*

I'd prefer it if people only used content from free/open sources, or those from official valve games. Taking, say, Unreal Tournament textures wouldn't really be in the spirit of things. Even if it is legal. I won't penalize it, because I can't track or verify it..but I'd really rather you didn't. The good folk of interlopers may frown upon it when voting comes around, too, if you've used nothing but ripped texture.

And no, of course I'm not gonna add a rule preventing people saying they're participating!
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zipfinator on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:09 am

I think it would be a great idea to make the Map Battle official threads News Announcements, that way more people would see it since it would always be on the front page. Also there are a lot of the interlopers main members that participate in the map battle, and it would probably get a few more people to join in.
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr. Happy on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:22 am

I think that's an excellent idea

Jest@ wrote:And no, of course I'm not gonna add a rule preventing people saying they're participating!

hahaha pwed! :P sry
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MaK on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:31 am

Zipfinator wrote:I think it would be a great idea to make the Map Battle official threads News Announcements, that way more people would see it since it would always be on the front page. Also there are a lot of the interlopers main members that participate in the map battle, and it would probably get a few more people to join in.

I second that idea.
MaK

Postby JLea on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:00 am

MaK wrote:
Zipfinator wrote:I think it would be a great idea to make the Map Battle official threads News Announcements, that way more people would see it since it would always be on the front page. Also there are a lot of the interlopers main members that participate in the map battle, and it would probably get a few more people to join in.

I second that idea.

I third that idea. (quote train this)
JLea
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Next

Return to Design Section