[WIP]- Acheron

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

[WIP]- Acheron

Postby GalantnostS- on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:34 pm

Well, here I am. :P Originally when I started mapping I am pretty sure I can finish a big project in a short period of time. Luckily I didn't fall into the group that start posting "help I need help to make my first great mod!", and the project becomes my approach to test out design ideas and scripting techniques. But then I kinda worked on the maps on and off for a long time with no real progress... That's why I finially decide to post up here in the hope of all the brilliant minds here would provide me with some comments and suggestions to continue... :P

Project name: Acheron(The name has no real meaning yet as my progress is so slow :shock: )

The current story arc is the protagonist have to infiltrate a combine train-depot-factory-type complex to retrieve samples of a mysterious cargo...

(I know there are many places that is lacking in details and need more work on them; but opinions are very much welcome :))

Part 1 (progress:50%)

Part 2 (progress:80%)

Part 3 (progress:40%)

Part 4 (progress:25%)

Part 5 (progress:10%)
Last edited by GalantnostS- on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GalantnostS-
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Dryn on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:08 pm

Looks fun
Dryn
Regular
Regular

Postby Deh0lise on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:12 pm

Looks fine but I can only see one decal, add some, they really improve visuals!
Deh0lise
Regular
Regular

Postby GalantnostS- on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:48 pm

Deh0lise wrote:Looks fine but I can only see one decal, add some, they really improve visuals!

Thanks. :) I will add more of them in the next few days to see how it goes. Though I keep wanting to create some custome signs or posters, but didn't have the heart to start up PhotoImpact and use my poor drawing skills. :?
GalantnostS-
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Generalvivi on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:01 pm

looks like a lot of stuff! good work man keep it up!
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Postby GalantnostS- on Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:52 pm

Generalvivi wrote:looks like a lot of stuff! good work man keep it up!

Thanks! :)
GalantnostS-
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby vcool on Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:55 pm

Looks nice.

As previsouly said, a tad bit mroe detail :D

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dissonance on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:36 pm

I'm gonna have to chime in (it's my only gripe at this point): more detail!
And gimmie a bsp! This looks funnn!
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kev_Boy on Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:39 pm

I'm going to have to be harsh here but it all seems fairly ugly and uninspired. The environments remind me of Half-Life 2 but don't have any of their charm. They seem very random in design.

I can't even give you any direct pointers, there's just to much missing for that but I can suggest you can try to vista the experience.

Make one great set piece either in the middle, beginning or end for each part to go in between what you've already got.
Kev_Boy
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby nub on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:18 pm

I think it's a little cliche looking, but some areas have really nice lighting and such, and fairly good detail. Unfortunately, there's not enough of that. Some areas are pretty bland and have plain lighting that doesn't vary much at all. Like the sewer scene with the jeep. The jeep also seems like an odd addition for that environment, but it is probably good. Great work so far. Half way done would be my estimate as well. I just hope you make sure to spruce those certain areas up a bit.

I REALLY like the shot with the metal grate and the light casting the shadows all over the place in the room. Looks really cool, nice work.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby GalantnostS- on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:31 am

Kev_Boy wrote:I'm going to have to be harsh here but it all seems fairly ugly and uninspired. The environments remind me of Half-Life 2 but don't have any of their charm. They seem very random in design.

I can't even give you any direct pointers, there's just to much missing for that but I can suggest you can try to vista the experience.

Make one great set piece either in the middle, beginning or end for each part to go in between what you've already got.

Thank you for your opinions. I know I cannot escape from the responsibility, but I would say I haven't added much details in most of the parts, where the only part I felt is near release level is the red-lights corridors scene. Anyway, I think I will spice up one of the maps first and see how it comes out :)

And for the design being random, I am guessing the reason is because I tried out different design ideas in the same maps, resulting in every design being used in too few areas. I don't know if this is the real cause, but I will try to expand, say Map 2, to see if it would get better...

Anyway, thanks again! :)
GalantnostS-
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby GalantnostS- on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:39 am

nub wrote:I think it's a little cliche looking, but some areas have really nice lighting and such, and fairly good detail. Unfortunately, there's not enough of that. Some areas are pretty bland and have plain lighting that doesn't vary much at all. Like the sewer scene with the jeep. The jeep also seems like an odd addition for that environment, but it is probably good. Great work so far. Half way done would be my estimate as well. I just hope you make sure to spruce those certain areas up a bit.

I REALLY like the shot with the metal grate and the light casting the shadows all over the place in the room. Looks really cool, nice work.

Agreed. The jeep tunnels for now are just the same architecture copied over and over, with different placements of some towers, cargo belts, repair docks and rooms in between. :? I would also like to improve the details in it, but I keep having the thought that the player will probably race past these areas, so detailing may not be needed that much. I am probably wrong though :P .

Oh, and thanks, I like that metal grates shot too.
GalantnostS-
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby GalantnostS- on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:39 pm

okay, my mapping machine came back from repair centre, and exams about to end. I will start working on the maps again in my free days in the holiday. :P

I will try to spice up map 2 first, and I do want to try out adding custom sounds and more scripted events in it. Guess will post more screens later. =]
GalantnostS-
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Re: [WIP]- Acheron

Postby CaffeineConsumer on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:29 am

I hope you're going to replace that buggy with something better? I sorta hate the HL2 buggy.

Your lighting is good, many of the screens look good, but quite a few of them look extremely unfinished. The one with the huge concrete structures and the water looked like a desaturated, monsterless Doom II - I don't know if that's good or not.

As mentioned above a long time ago: use decals! That's probably the most effective realism-increaser you haven't used much yet.
I hate making up fancy signatures.
CaffeineConsumer

Re: [WIP]- Acheron

Postby pk_hunter on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:02 am

It looks like you have a really nice atmosphere already, definately helped by a clear understanding of lighting. Work on architecture next. A lot of it looks very blocky.

looking forward to playing this!
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Next

Return to Under Construction