New Rig Feedback.

PC related discussion and other issues.

Postby rb_lestr on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:05 pm

lo-fi wrote:flash hdds will slowly replace classic hdds...

that's all I can think of off the top of my head right now

Doubtful, not nearly as fast or reliable than proper hdds. A lecturer mentioned in college today that 1tb of HD space will cost ~10 euros. No joke.
rb_lestr
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby zombie@computer on Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:04 pm

rb_lestr wrote:

Doubtful, not nearly as fast or reliable than proper hdds. A lecturer mentioned in college today that 1tb of HD space will cost ~10 euros. No joke.
time changes. New technologies become cheaper. Solid state memory too, will become cheap. You will one day be glad you purchaed that 900 petabyte ssd. Just you wait...
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby xoqolatl on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:45 pm

rb_lestr wrote:Doubtful, not nearly as fast or reliable than proper hdds.

Just FYI: SSDs are superior in EVERY WAY exept price and volume.

Review comparing MTron 16gb SSD to WD Raptor 150GB:
http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby lo-fi on Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:03 am

rb_lestr wrote:

Err, no. Flash SSDs are more reliable because they don't have moving parts and don't need to be assembled in a sterilized vacuum. And 1Tb of HD space costing 10 euros when? Flash SSD size exploded from around 8 GB to 64 GB in one year, putting Moore's law to shame. They also produce less heat and consume less energy. They also have seek times up to 200 times faster than the conventional HDD. They also have a higher rated impact resistance than discs rotating 5400 times a minute. The only real downside to Flash SSDs for the moment is price per Gb, which usually falls as fast as the technology advances.

Example of boot speed:
http://www.htlounge.net/articles/3992/1 ... based-UMPC
Athlete{UK} wrote:Dionysos. You kill yourself and piss me off in the process i'm coming after your ghost with a dyson you scum sucking fuck end!
lo-fi
Regular
Regular

Postby RawMeat3000 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:49 pm

After much debate, I've decided to get this graphics card. The only problem I can think of mow is the power supply. I have this stock PSU right now, but I think I should get a new one. Any recommendations under $60?

*Afterthought: It should also be Crossfire ready.
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby dragonfliet on Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:46 am

RawMeat3000 wrote:After much debate, I've decided to get this graphics card. The only problem I can think of mow is the power supply. I have this stock PSU right now, but I think I should get a new one. Any recommendations under $60?

*Afterthought: It should also be Crossfire ready.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817171016

If you had signed up for their newsletter (do it now) you would have gotten an email saying that this was actually $39.99 after instant rebate and $9.99 after mail in rebate.

~Jason
dragonfliet
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RawMeat3000 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:40 pm

And that PSU will let me run two of the above mentioned graphics cards? It seems a little too cheap...In fact, I'm thinking about saving up for a $100 or so power supply now.

New question, is there a better ATI card out there, for ~$160? And maybe one that will work with my current power supply? I was thinking about taking ampnetwork's advice and getting this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161211 seems like a very capable card, but then, so do the others...

Edit: Nevermind, this card beats, the 2600. And the 8600, and in one surprising case, the 8800.
Last edited by RawMeat3000 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RawMeat3000

Postby Mr. Happy on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:47 pm

Solid state drives are actually quite unstable from the user reviews I've read. They are certainly MUCH faster, but are also MUCH more prone to data loss and corruption. One review I read they guy needed to refomat his SSD raid once a month but he had everything backed up so data restoration was super fast and the way he implemented it (some sort of advanced computing situation) made it more than worth it.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MPitard on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:42 am

I need to get a new computer. I plan to build it but instead of one large purchase I want to buy one part at a time and upgrade my current pc, eventually leaving only the hard drive, the only part that isn't crap. Bad idea? Brilliant? I don't know what parts to start with.
Sorrow wrote:who needs realism when you're fucking a flashlight
MPitard
Regular
Regular

Postby RawMeat3000 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:38 am

MPitard wrote:I need to get a new computer. I plan to build it but instead of one large purchase I want to buy one part at a time and upgrade my current pc, eventually leaving only the hard drive, the only part that isn't crap. Bad idea? Brilliant? I don't know what parts to start with.

I need specs before I can recommend anything. But no, it's not the smartest thing to do, the smartest thing would be to build a computer from scratch, which I failed to do. Now I'm paying for it. Literally.
RawMeat3000

Postby stoopdapoop on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:42 pm

I need to get a new computer. I plan to build it but instead of one large purchase I want to buy one part at a time and upgrade my current pc, eventually leaving only the hard drive, the only part that isn't crap. Bad idea? Brilliant? I don't know what parts to start with.

It depends on what you already have, unless you either have a socket AM2 or LGA 775 motherboard with PCI-E and DDR2 support then it really won't work too well. You may still be able to upgrade but you'll end up paying too much for what you're getting because after a certain point, old technology doesn't seem to get much cheaper.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Simon on Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:29 pm

here I am with another dilemma: 1. get a good (lapped) q6600 now or 2. wait and get a dual core 8500...
Simon
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby xoqolatl on Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:32 pm

Q6600 all the way, especially if it's G0 stepping and you have a good quad clocking board :D
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Ale on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:21 am

So, im going to buy a new mobo, cpu and a fine ass power supply in a few months. I have been considering the new Intel quads, especially the Q9450 and the EVGA Nforce 780i. Im probably going to pick up another 8800GT because i can.

But before doing so, is there some suggestions before i go wasting my money on hardware ?

Current setup:
Asus p5n-e sli (nf 650i)
intel c2d e6600
2gb g.skill pc5400
geforce 8800gt
250gb IDE
500gb sataII
Xilence Power 550w power supply, 2 12v rails on 22Amps each (Im Suspecting this to be way to little for some extensive overclocking on the quady + SLI)
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby xoqolatl on Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:33 am

The PSU would be sufficient if it were of any good brand, but Xilence? tbh never heard of.
Also make sure your RAM does at least 900MHz - You'll need at least 450FSB to get a good overclock with Q9450.

Good read when it comes to PSU choosing:
XtremeSystems Official Tiered PSU List
PC Power & Cooling website: PSU Myths
xoqolatl
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware & Software