Nuclear Dawn Media Update

Comment on the news articles here.

Nuclear Dawn Media Update

Postby SlappyBag on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:17 pm

The Nuclear Dawn team have released a new media update showcasing two new weapons and a new structure.

Image Image Image

As well as this they have also posted that they are actively recruiting level designers:

The Nuclear Dawn team is looking for 1-2 level designers to produce maps for the initial release of the mod.

* Examples of previous work required
* Experience with the Source Engine and game modifications is required
* Expert knowledge of Valve Hammer Editor required
* Ability to create own textures and props is a plus. We've got quite a library of excellent ND assets to choose from as well.
* Experience with SVN and TRAC is a plus.

Visit the thread on their recruitment board to find out more.
SlappyBag
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Nuclear Dawn Media Update

Postby nub on Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:58 pm

Not bad at all.

Although some of their skins are pretty bland. They should get some phong and normal maps on them. And the mapping is good, but the atmosphere is bland.

Great though, just needs that fine tuning, but I'm sure it'll be done by the end of development.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ShaDoW on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:42 pm

Why they are showcasing ND material in a HL2 themed map is beyond me.

Very strange media release.
ShaDoW

Postby BaRRaKID on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:56 pm

Another mod that I'm slowly loosing interest in... not very impressed with this media release tbh :shock:
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby rb_lestr on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:28 am

Those pictures were taken on a machine with really low settings for some reason, theres a screen on their forum which shows the weapons are actually really nice and detailed.
rb_lestr
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Aether on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:53 am

How anyone can look at that second picture and say they're losing interest in the mod is completely beyond me. I think their media looks phenomenal, and I hope they can keep up the high standard of work until their release.
Construct: Level Design, Modeling, Texture Artist - http://www.constructmod.com

Check out my portfolio:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=23108
Aether
Regular
Regular

Postby verballydecapitating on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:29 am

verballydecapitating
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Generalvivi on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:45 am

my bud at work made the gun models and the tube model. I told him he needs to make the skin a bit more contrasty ... we shall see if he does anything about it. But over all ... his models are sexy as hell ^^
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Postby Kelikan on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:52 am

ShaDoW wrote:Why they are showcasing ND material in a HL2 themed map is beyond me.

...wait, what? You can't just say that the map is HL2 themed because it has HL2 resources in it.
Kelikan
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Blink on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:38 am

Kelikan wrote:
ShaDoW wrote:Why they are showcasing ND material in a HL2 themed map is beyond me.

...wait, what? You can't just say that the map is HL2 themed because it has HL2 resources in it.

What theme would it be then? If you use HL2 stock props and textures then it will look like a HL2 map, simple.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby BaRRaKID on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:41 am

Aether wrote:How anyone can look at that second picture and say they're losing interest in the mod is completely beyond me.

Whats so special about that model? Looks like something that was made for HL1, adding highlights on the skin to accentuate the edges, and having light and shadow information on the skin instead of using a normal map (can't really tell if ti has one from the SS, but it looks like it doesn't)... doesn't bring anything new tbh, and is nothing to get excited about (again this is just m opinion).

I think their media looks phenomenal, and I hope they can keep up the high standard of work until their release.

That's exactly the problem, their first media releases where great, some of the best I've seen in fact, but this last few are not at the same level at all. I hope they show us something better soon.
And let's not talk about them just having 3 images to show after 4 months since the last update that had just 2 images.
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Wills on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:33 am

Now don't get me wrong, I WANT Nuclear Dawn, I think it looks incredible... but when it comes to ND, I look upon it with a different eye to other mods, and I think a lot of other people are doing the same.

Their media releases are so good, that when something like the above comes along, my first thought is, "Why are there HL2 props in the background... surely they're further along than that?"

I think it's down to a long drawn out dev cycle, lots and lots of hype, and now a year long lull... when anything comes along now, it's looked at with eagle eyes, trying to pick the flesh out of the models, maps and screenshots. Any other mod, with a more relaxed, less professional attitude, would be praised for the same work.

Regardless, I admire their tenacity and am consistently gobsmacked by their work, and I can't wait to see the final release, I think it's just got to a point with most people where they're thinking "release already!".
Jailbreaksource.net | Andy Wills

Maps, Textures, Modelling, Animation, Skins, Voices, Sound and Graphics

Wills
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Blink on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:41 am

They shouldn't of hyped the shit out of themselves with silly countdown clocks and posed models, as people expect high quality releases every time and when they don't come there will be disappointment.

You shouldn't do that and then make media releases every 4 months or so and only show a weapon model, people are bound to criticise.

As Wills said, most mods would be getting praise for this media but ND have got themselves to blame for the hype machine that they generated and now it seems to be working against them somewhat.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby rb_lestr on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:16 pm

That map is a test map they run ND on for the last couple of years i believe, they HAVE shown the other maps, which look incredible. But the fact they chose the test map to purely show the weapons and nothing else, yet used a low-end computer, or a computer on low settings is beyond me. The REAL model, on a decent machine, looks really nice.

I think the hype machine may have killed what this mod COULD have been, but they have to release sometime now right? If they want to have any integrity in the mod business.

Also, hype, media releases, its all bullshit when you look at other mods like Project Valkyrie and Half Life 2: Wars, they are both, in my opinion the best mods released (Key word being released). They worked hard and fast and what they produced was incredible for such a small timeframe. Its those guys the other mods should look up to and try to become, none of this hype bullshit. Sadly hype goes hand in hand with creating a large fanbase, of which neither HL2W and PV have, which is really sad as they are fantastic and fun games.
rb_lestr
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Generalvivi on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:18 pm

BaRRaKID wrote:
Whats so special about that model? Looks like something that was made for HL1, adding highlights on the skin to accentuate the edges, and having light and shadow information on the skin instead of using a normal map (can't really tell if ti has one from the SS, but it looks like it doesn't)... doesn't bring anything new tbh, and is nothing to get excited about (again this is just m opinion).

Actually he used an action script he wrote himself to generate edges from the highpoly model he made. Sucks that the render doesn't show off how cool the actual model really is. But is really is a nice piece of work I must say :)
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Next

Return to Site News