Punky

Interlopers Portfolio section.

Portfolio rating

2.11 out of 5 (9 ratings)

You must be registered and logged in to rate a portfolio!

Punky

Postby punky on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:52 pm

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
I'm currently working on a portfolio site, I'm making slow progress, but as soon as it is ready I'll let you guys know, and I'll put some stuff on this page too :)
-Punky
Last edited by punky on Fri May 29, 2009 11:28 am, edited 11 times in total.
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Punky: Level Designer

Postby Sorrow on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:02 pm

You seem to have an unusual fondness for phallic objects in your maps...
Sorrow
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Russell on Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:43 pm

It looks nice, but all your maps look really shiny.
Russell

Postby punky on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:05 pm

Russell wrote:It looks nice, but all your maps look really shiny.

Yeah, thats true, but I wanted to create an odd kind of metal (the first four pics) so I didn't give them a grayscale mask.
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Third on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:20 pm

quality shizzle there me nizzle.
Third

Postby ShaDoW on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:35 pm

Pretty much all of the screenshots you are showing are either still in developer textures or are unfinished levels. And most of them have uncalibrated HDR effects which make everything seem way too bright it should be. Some really unrealistic reflections on a lot of those floors as well.

I'm not saying your work is bad or anything mate, I like the originality of the alien architecture. But you should really wait with putting up a portfolio until you have some real finished material. ^^
ShaDoW

Postby punky on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:49 pm

ShaDoW wrote:Pretty much all of the screenshots you are showing are either still in developer textures or are unfinished levels. And most of them have uncalibrated HDR effects which make everything seem way too bright it should be. Some really unrealistic reflections on a lot of those floors as well.

I'm not saying your work is bad or anything mate, I like the originality of the alien architecture. But you should really wait with putting up a portfolio until you have some real finished material. ^^

Thanks for this, this is info I can really use, I'm currently working on a mod as level designer and another small map and I hope that I will finally finish these so I can really put some quality stuff on my portfolio, I already have a portfolio site ready but if you(and probably others) think that its too early for making a 'folio than I'll just wait.
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jister on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:13 pm

Time is a precious friend P!
as is preparation. Like i told you before: 80% of what one wants to map, even sci-fi stuff, exists. go out walk around in it, get the atmosphere, take pictures, FEEL THE TEXTURES of real life materials lol...
we life in the most beautiful map ever made "ze world" take advantage of that ;)

since i map, i have mutated into a measuring-man-machine. everywhere i look i try to absorb proportions of my surrounding, how they relate to each other... like how many buildings are there one a block, how do they connect, how many lamp post are there on a street and how far apart, how big is the side walk and if it's smaller, is there a different use in lamp post.
i compare all things constantly, and see if parts or scenes are interesting to map...
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby punky on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:23 pm

jister wrote:Time is a precious friend P!
as is preparation. Like i told you before: 80% of what one wants to map, even sci-fi stuff, exists. go out walk around in it, get the atmosphere, take pictures, FEEL THE TEXTURES of real life materials lol...
we life in the most beautiful map ever made "ze world" take advantage of that ;)

since i map, i have mutated into a measuring-man-machine. everywhere i look i try to absorb proportions of my surrounding, how they relate to each other... like how many buildings are there one a block, how do they connect, how many lamp post are there on a street and how far apart, how big is the side walk and if it's smaller, is there a different use in lamp post.
i compare all things constantly, and see if parts or scenes are interesting to map...

Some wise words there :D Thanks, A lot of people have told me something that is actually pretty true, I never really finished something...
Mostly its the lack of time or inspiration or losing the interest in an idea, I'll try to prevent that on my next maps and projects, thanks for the comments everyone!
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vcool on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:07 pm

jister wrote:Time is a precious friend P!

Haha same here. Whenever I go down the street, I just imagine how everything would look in Source.

The best place to look for innovative architectural details is RL. :)
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby punky on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:56 pm

vcool wrote:Haha same here. Whenever I go down the street, I just imagine how everything would look in Source.

The best place to look for innovative architectural details is RL. :)

I try to pay attention too when I'm sitting in the car because its boring, when I'm driving past big cities I really gain some inspiration too, actually I think every person thats interested in level design tries to gain examples in real life and if its really inspirational even recreate them in source...
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Psy on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:27 pm

Don't put unfinished work on a portfolio.
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Punky

Postby Duke Nukem on Wed May 27, 2009 7:17 pm

i want to see sth!
Duke Nukem
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby punky on Wed May 27, 2009 8:08 pm

Duke Nukem wrote:i want to see sth!

Hehe, I took Psy's and the other members advice, I had too much unfinished work. I'm working on a real website-portfolio though, making slow progress. But I'll try to post some decent stuff in here soon :)
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Duke Nukem on Thu May 28, 2009 5:00 pm

yeah, sounds great! :D
Duke Nukem
Pheropod
Pheropod

Next

Return to Portfolios