Laser cannon/turret

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Laser cannon/turret

Postby The Ace on Sun May 25, 2008 12:46 am

Once again, I decided to mess around with some entities in Hammer. This time I came up with a heavy combine laser cannon. The cannon itself looks a bit corny, but that's more or less intended :P
The base entity is a func_tanklaser, the rest is a bunch of effects for coolness factor.
I guess this is useful to few, but I find releasing & downloading small prefabs like this is a nice way to learn to use a wide variety of entities.

Here's a video of my beautiful assistant "npc_citizen" showing how it's used. For some reason no sound is being recorded, sorry:

NOTE: The NPC's override the normal rate of fire for some reason. A player is not supposed to be able to shoot that rapidly ;)

The .VMF for the testmap is HERE!
Use it for whatever you like!
The Ace
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: Laser cannon/turret

Postby burninwater on Mon May 26, 2008 11:07 am

wow that looks cool :O, gj :D
burninwater
Regular
Regular

Postby Altaire on Mon May 26, 2008 11:48 am

Oh damn, I wish i had something like that on my balcony.
Altaire
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby 1447 on Mon May 26, 2008 11:52 am

Looking awesome, nice job;)
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Mon May 26, 2008 6:43 pm

Saw this over at Facepunch. Good work man. :smt023
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Ace on Mon May 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Thanks guys :)

Glad I could spawn an NPC to use it for me to give a better overview on how it looks, but wish I could have captured sound as well (added some for further immersion).
The Ace
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Mangopork on Thu May 29, 2008 12:43 am

Holy Shit. That's amazing.
Strangely Delicious.
Mangopork
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby nub on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:35 am

If/when you update this, you should totally put some particle systems in it so you can make it look more realistic. That would definitely help it visually.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Ace on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:59 pm

nub wrote:If/when you update this, you should totally put some particle systems in it so you can make it look more realistic. That would definitely help it visually.

If I had a clue about how those worked, I definitely would :)

I had quite a bunch of eye-candy I wished to add, like plasma embers billowing out of the vents on the sides, a nice quantum-bulge at the muzzle, stuff like that. Env_smokestack bugged out sometimes, env_shooter crashed and env_sprite didn't work with strider effects.
Hopefully I'll figure particle systems out some day!
The Ace
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby YokaI on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:53 pm

It's pretty awesome, but have you tried modeling these? You've done a good job with some of the lazy effects, but it would cool to see you use a model for your next one.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby The Ace on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:19 pm

YokaI wrote:It's pretty awesome, but have you tried modeling these? You've done a good job with some of the lazy effects, but it would cool to see you use a model for your next one.

I did make an attempt to learn basic modeling with Milkshape 3D, but it didn't go that well. Probably because I couldn't find any modeling tutorial equivalent to "Creating your first room" for Hammer.
If I had models or modeling skills, I would put them to use in the weapons, ofcourse :)
The Ace
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby nub on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:29 am

Particle effects are very easy to implement. Valve has a list of all the particles for Portal, Episode 2, and Team Fortress 2 that you can use in your maps.

You use an info_particle_system and you just put down the name of whatever particle you want to use. You set a trigger to activate the particle when you shoot it and it should work just fine. Some particles may need to be deactivated in case they're looping ones, but for most of them it's a one time thing.

Unfortunately the media fire link won't load the download for me. It just constantly loads and loads and loads...

EDIT: Ok never mind, I got it. If you want I can try and put in some particle effects for ya and see how it works out. Up to you however.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Ace on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:09 pm

nub wrote:Particle effects are very easy to implement. Valve has a list of all the particles for Portal, Episode 2, and Team Fortress 2 that you can use in your maps.

You use an info_particle_system and you just put down the name of whatever particle you want to use. You set a trigger to activate the particle when you shoot it and it should work just fine. Some particles may need to be deactivated in case they're looping ones, but for most of them it's a one time thing.

Unfortunately the media fire link won't load the download for me. It just constantly loads and loads and loads...

EDIT: Ok never mind, I got it. If you want I can try and put in some particle effects for ya and see how it works out. Up to you however.

Go ahead, I'm sure it'll look better than the env_tesla and sparks =]
The Ace
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Undead Caesar on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:14 pm

Does the cannon fire at the NPCs by itself or is that scripted?
Undead Caesar
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby nub on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:10 am

The cannon is operated either by a player or NPC, so no, it's not automated.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Showcase