Map Battles - Suggestions

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battles - Suggestions

Postby RawMeat3000 on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:23 am

no00dylan wrote:My lord. I just noticed something. This may be something Cremator can LOSE at.... we NEED to do this... we NEED to.

I fully support this idea for that very reason.

Cremator must be stopped.
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby nub on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:28 am

Undead Caesar wrote:I think a really cool map contest would be Map-a-Painting. Any painting would be allowed as long as you provide a link to the original. I think it would be really interesting to see some of the world's most famous paintings in 3d.

Oh that's easy. Just get a picture of a famous painting off the internet then do parallax occlusion mapping on it! Source supports it, it's just not enabled!

PS: Idea:

The Fourth Dimension. Show a scene in modern time and then show it as it would be thousands of years later.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Prototstar on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:21 pm

What about portraying an effects of nuclear fallout?
BlackSector Mod
Ennui wrote:I'm presently cooking a bunch of tri-color rotini (the BEST kind of pasta) which in about 10 minutes I will slather in 1/4 stick of butter and cover with parmesan cheese and devour greedily and happily.
Prototstar
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:12 pm

Prototstar wrote:What about portraying an effects of nuclear fallout?

i first thought that would be awesome

but at the end of the day most entries would only be slightly different

you want something more vague, like "the end of the world"

or apocolypse

or armageddon
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KILLA-COW on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:15 pm

Rotinaj wrote:

or apocolypse

or armageddon

I think we should just use my old suggestion of a title

"broken eden"
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Prototstar on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:48 pm

KILLA-COW wrote:
Rotinaj wrote:

or apocolypse

or armageddon

I think we should just use my old suggestion of a title

"broken eden"

I seconded that.
BlackSector Mod
Ennui wrote:I'm presently cooking a bunch of tri-color rotini (the BEST kind of pasta) which in about 10 minutes I will slather in 1/4 stick of butter and cover with parmesan cheese and devour greedily and happily.
Prototstar
Regular
Regular

Postby AndyMacK on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:02 pm

Broken Eden... Broken Eden...

*mumbles for a moment or two*

I like that. :D

Or maybe, perhaps it has already been suggested, music or an MP3 file which has to be included in the level?
AndyMacK
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Megadude on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:30 pm

"The World Underground".

Basically anything underground: Tube station; sewer system, militray bunker; subterranean world of the mole people; etc.
Wrathborne 711 wrote:OH MY GOD.........MEXICANS!

End of Humanity - beta version 3.0 released!
Megadude
Veteran
Veteran

Postby punky on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:58 pm

Megadude wrote:"The World Underground".

Basically anything underground: Tube station; sewer system, militray bunker; subterranean world of the mole people; etc.

Another nice idea, there have been some good ideas in this thread lately!
Unfortunately I can't think of something myself...
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dark soul on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:09 am

I like Megadude suggestion,it's an idea that's really easy to work with.
Dark soul
Regular
Regular

Postby joe_dirt976 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:17 am

should do something futuristic, like life in the year 3008. You would have to show something that we have in our everyday lives.. be it home, store or work.. etc.. just show how it would appear in that theme.
It's be cool to depict, holograms, magalopolis. Just nothing apocalyptic though
Major Banter wrote:Joe Dirt. Also known locally in Interlopers as "Hammer Machine"
joe_dirt976
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Prototstar on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:06 am

We already did the futuristic theme. Check out the Sci-fi Futuristic and Alien Architecture.
I strongly would go for Second Eden or a theme to portray the real world natural disasters.
BlackSector Mod
Prototstar
Regular
Regular

Postby Jest@ on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:36 pm

Given how hard it is for pretty much every (properly organised) mod team (with dedicated lines of communication, repositories, etc) to ever produce anything, there's no way I'd ever want a battle to require teamwork. But I'm up for the idea of getting modellers & env. artists to work with level designers - almost all winning entrants use custom content, normally quite heavily. It's definitely a key feature of source level design, and it's generally important to be able to design levels with more than just a limited content set like HL2's.

So, any ideas on how to facilitate mapper/modeller/texturer collaborations would be appreciated. I'm up for special battles with different constraints, etc, but it's very hard to imagine a ruleset/time constraint/timing that wouldn't interfere with the usual battles, to the detriment of both.

@punky - yeh, I know, the voting system at present doesn't really give people who aren't in the top 3 any credit, even when (especially in a battle like the current one, which is huge) there's a really good spread of entries. I'm working on an improved system, bear with me for a while.

I'm really liking some of the theme suggestions coming along here, keep them coming! It'd be nice (if people are interested) to do something slightly less conceptual than we've had recently, I'd like to give a more solid starting point, like a particular type of building or architectural feature (like 'tower' and 'ramp' in the past), or a particular industry (transport, shipping, military), etc.I feel it'd level the playing field a bit and help focus entries a bit more, which in turn means that people are more likely to get evaluated on their execution of a map than on their idea for a map. Anyone else think that'd be good? If so, suggest away.

Oh, and I don't think post-apocalyptic themes are a good idea, since half the maps made for Source (indeed, for FPS games in general) are post-apocalyptic...I for one am getting a bit sick of them :P
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KILLA-COW on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:38 pm

What you should do, is have a model battle, then from those models, a texturing battle (skinning them), then from those combined a map battle with the model as the central focus, that way it's like a team of 3 working on 3 seperate consecutive battles. Could maybe work.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MaK on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:43 pm

KILLA-COW wrote:What you should do, is have a model battle, then from those models, a texturing battle (skinning them), then from those combined a map battle with the model as the central focus, that way it's like a team of 3 working on 3 seperate consecutive battles. Could maybe work.

That sounds like a nice idea actually. Hold a model battle and a texture battle for both the same theme. Then hold a skinning battle for the models. And finish it all up with a map battle of the same theme. Sounds like a nice large project!
MaK

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section