Artillery gun (Flak 88?) prefab

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Artillery gun (Flak 88?) prefab

Postby The Ace on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:16 am

Hello Interlopers!

Time for another weaponry-prefab from me! This time I picked up that old cannon concept you may have seen on Interlopers about a year ago, and re-made it from scratch using a bunch of new ideas and techniques.
My purpose was to develop a brush-based artillery-like weapon that could fire physically simulated explosive projectiles a considerable distance, realism-factor and detailed effects inclusive.

The gun somewhat resembles the German 88 mm gun (Flak-88). While I mostly used pictures of that as reference, I didn't really intend to put much effort into modeling my prefab after it (especially since I'm working with Hammer, not 3dsmax :P). I did put a lot of love into the overall detail however, the special effects/entity work in particular.

I have NOT put any particular effort in making a nice-looking control interface for aiming/firing the weapon. I figured this was pointless anyway, since any mapper who may want to use this as a prefab would most likely come up with a more practical solution of his own suitable for whatever he/she is creating (this means no comments on the tacky button-controls, please :))!

Overview picture:

Here's two videos recorded in Garry's Mod by a friend of mine. The purpose of the random glass bottles is to illustrate the global quake/shock effect. Also, the gun controls shown in the video has been replaced with a more discrete, transparent set of buttons (shown in the picture above).

Shooting the targets:

Showing the effects better:

The basic concept behind propelling the projectile such vast distances is thrusters. Therefor, there is theoretically no limit to how far you can make the artillery reach (I.E you can specify exactly how far you would like the projectiles to travel), if you would use it in your own map.
This technique is suitable for most types of projectiles, since thruster is a very favorable, reliable and versatile physics entity. You could, for example, create guns on battleships, or missile pods, or similar weaponry, with realistic handling as result.
That being said, I see nothing that hinders you from attaching this type of weapon to a brush-based vehicle :hint: :hint: :hint:

Download link here:
http://filesmelt.com/Filehosting2/downloader.php?file=artillery.rar

Try the testmap, enjoy and please comment! :)

//Ace
Last edited by The Ace on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ace
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: Artillery gun (Flak 88?) prefab

Postby Jasard on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:41 am

Thats awesome, nice one.
Jasard
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby madmodder123 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:08 am

Yes it is very sexy
I recorded the vids^^
madmodder123

Postby The Ace on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:24 am

Hmm, no other feedback? :o
The Ace
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby RawMeat3000 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:33 am

I remember seeing this when you first released it, but for some reason I didn't comment. I thought it was amazing then and it still is. But this is only for Gmod I'm guessing since you mentioned thrusters. Would be awesome as a CSS, or DoD gameplay device.
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby no00dylan on Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:01 am

There are thrusters in Hammer, you silly :)

Its looks really cool, you know, you could export that into xsi and make a beautiful model.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RawMeat3000 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:19 am

no00dylan wrote:There are thrusters in Hammer, you silly :)

:shock:

Awesome...
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby The Ace on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:48 pm

RawMeat3000 wrote:I remember seeing this when you first released it, but for some reason I didn't comment. I thought it was amazing then and it still is. But this is only for Gmod I'm guessing since you mentioned thrusters. Would be awesome as a CSS, or DoD gameplay device.

Heh, I don't even have GMod. The entities I used are available in ALL Source games, so go ahead and make a CSS map!

phys_thruster :)
The Ace
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Mr-Jigsaw on Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:57 am

This would make a very interesting point of contention in a somewhat symmetrical DOD map. It would be really fun to defend that gun against the inevitable waves against it. Put a few destructible buildings in there, performance premitting, and it would be a pretty fun map. Nice job.

Just a thought. If only you could pick up items in DOD, it would be cool to force players to physically reload the gun by picking up a shell and dropping it in the chamber. It'd have to be deathmatch or a mod or something.
Mr-Jigsaw
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Mephasto on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:13 am

haha i just noticed it was made of brushes, i tought it was model. Btw why you wont make gun models in 3d and instead inside hammer?
Mephasto
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby The Ace on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:47 am

Mephasto wrote:haha i just noticed it was made of brushes, i tought it was model. Btw why you wont make gun models in 3d and instead inside hammer?

Because I can't model.
Attempted Milkshape 3d once, failed due to lack of good tutorials (equivalent of "Your first room"-hammer tutorials).
The Ace
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby AndyMacK on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:11 pm

Hmmm... I like this, it is good :) Also, it has given me an idea...

*loads up XSI and thinks about NPC trajectory calculating*

Maybe another day. But I still love the prefab :D

-Andi
AndyMacK
Pheropod
Pheropod

Return to Showcase