Fearlezz - Level Designer & 2D Artist (Updated 2009-2-5)

Interlopers Portfolio section.

Portfolio rating

3.23 out of 5 (13 ratings)

You must be registered and logged in to rate a portfolio!

Fearlezz - Level Designer & 2D Artist (Updated 2009-2-5)

Postby Fearlezz on Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:46 am

FEARLEZZ PORTFOLIO

Name: Kim "Fearlezz" Nehzaty
Goals: To work as a level designer in a professional environment.

About me:
I started with creative work when I was 10 years old, I first started out with Adobe Flash 8. I created stick animations at first, then later I got into some coding with flash. I started making flash tutorials on how to use various effect using coding. Then later on I started making websites in flash. After maybe a year later I got into level design.

The first times I created maps was for Counter Strike:Source. And I was a complete noob :).But today all my friends call me god-like and stuff like that. Ofcourse they are just trying to be nice to me. But when I actually take a good look at what I have created, I really think back of what I used to be like. Compared to what I did for CS:S:roll: .

Recently, I've started some simple modeling with XSI. Just until I get 3Dsmax or something. I actually managed to create a cinematic explosion in XSI. I compiled it and all, but I forgot to export the animation frames. So fail on that. Anyhow, still very much beginner in modeling. But hopefully I'll get better on that.

At the moment I am creating maps for Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead. Something I really enjoy doing.
I am also working on a mod called 'No Contact'. My job there is as a level designer.Under all this time I came by Photoshop, my parents works with photos and since they use Photoshop as well, I've learned a lot from them. I also have knowledge of simple HTML coding. But of all of these things, I most enjoy mapping. I just put music on and let the creativity flow. 8)

Hammer - Team Fortress 2

Hammer - Portal

I also have fully knowledge in Source Demo Smoother. Its a great tool. Plus, I'm pretty good in Adobe Premiere, which is a professional video editing tool.

Last edited by Fearlezz on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:46 am, edited 12 times in total.
Fearlezz
Regular
Regular

Re: Fearlezz - Source Level Designer and Graphic Artist

Postby Mephasto on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:17 am

But now people like to call me pro.

people from fpsbanana?

i dont really find any of those photoshop works impressive, just random brushes with adjusted hue and color. You should make example textures with photoshop instead, its pretty hard to make them photo realistic.

also it could be good to add addional information about yourself, look at that "portfolio tutorial" they made on first page of this thread.
Mephasto
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby The Wanderer on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:55 am

Your level design is decent, but i'm seeing lighting errors here and there. I see shader problems (or the game cant find the texture). I'm seeing non-alligned displacements and causing a seem into the skybox (on one of your floors).

Overall it's decent, but foremost your lighting has still got a lot of room for improvement.
The Wanderer

Postby Blink on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:41 am

Not bad, as Wanderer said your level design is pretty good but some more work on your lighting will definitely bring those map shots to life a bit more.

Also update your portfolio categories (at the top of the thread) so that your work can searched on the portfolios page.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Fearlezz on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:42 am

The Wanderer wrote:Your level design is decent, but i'm seeing lighting errors here and there. I see shader problems (or the game cant find the texture). I'm seeing non-alligned displacements and causing a seem into the skybox (on one of your floors).

Overall it's decent, but foremost your lighting has still got a lot of room for improvement.

These are outdated WiPs (Work in progress) pictures. Just temp until I get the time to post the real ones.
Fearlezz
Regular
Regular

Postby Garrador on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:32 pm

Mephasto: So what if its random brushes with adjusted color? How else would you make art? Its all about what your lookign for and want to create. Art is art. No matter what. You can see if ppl have sense for it or not.
I like some of them, and it's good to see ppl do some other art than just textures.

mapping is decent, although, I'm not blown away. Plus, as mentioned, lightning errors here and there. Especially bleeding.

Anyways, keep it up! :)
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Wanderer on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:44 pm

Okay, his screenshots of his mapping got changed so if you don't see some of the stuff that was criticized before, it's because they aren't there now.

I am still seeing some light errors on displacements and unaligned displacements. Use info_lights to get rid of some of those weird lit models.
Also I'm seeing some floating rocks in, what appears to be, an unfinished map.

You said you started with CS:S mapping? Could we see something of that and something that is brush intensive.
The Wanderer

Postby Fearlezz on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:50 pm

The Wanderer wrote:
I am still seeing some light errors on displacements and unaligned displacements. Use info_lights to get rid of some of those weird lit models.
Also I'm seeing some floating rocks in, what appears to be, an unfinished map.

You said you started with CS:S mapping? Could we see something of that and something that is brush intensive.

May I ask where you see these things, I'm aware of the random lit up models, I will try to use info_light on them. My CS:s work is very old and bad. My current skills are way better since then.
Fearlezz
Regular
Regular

Postby The Wanderer on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:52 pm

sure here ya go:

Here it seems like these 2 displacements on the floor aren't sewn together. Either that or your vid card is acting up (update drivers). They are just below the CP (you need to enlarge the image to see it)

To the right here you can see the rocks floating:

These cliff displacements on the left have got a noticeable lighting change but that's more Source it's fault than yours:

The images with bleeding light trough your displacements were taken away and i saw you updated the image where you had some shader/missing textures.
The Wanderer

Postby Fearlezz on Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:57 pm

The Wanderer wrote:sure here ya go:

Here it seems like these 2 displacements on the floor aren't sewn together. Either that or your vid card is acting up (update drivers). They are just below the CP (you need to enlarge the image to see it)

Oh I never noticed this before, neither have the beta testers for this map. Great find thanks. And for the other ones, I've noticed before, the second two picture is one of my biggest payload project, which turnout really bad. I did not notice that floating rock in hammer, but I did ingame however I was desperate to release the map since I worked on in for 3 months and had alot of delays and errors.
Fearlezz
Regular
Regular

Postby Fearlezz on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:41 am

Oh, I really wanted better rating by now :(
Fearlezz
Regular
Regular

Postby ghost12332 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:50 pm

I think you should've gotten a 3.5, but I can't do that so I went up. You really can't expect much, seeing as what you originally posted was WIP's. Your photoshop work is nice, but it doesn't take much effort to produce fractal art with some text in PS. You do have a portal map, but its 1 room and rather small. I would either make a couple nice, 512-1024x textures, make them seamless, and post them for photoshop work. Its much harder to get a truly non-repeating large texture then to make sig style stuff. I would also make 1 more very nice and finished map, at the same quality as your TF2 map there. I would NOT post ANY WIP's of it, as they drastically lowered your portfolios rating originally.

Update with more content, and then post so it goes into the recent posts section. I know I only post in the recent topics usually.
ghost12332

Postby sketch on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:25 pm

hey nice looking work though overall. really like the design of it, fits in perfectly with the tf2 world.
much better than me i'm just starting i'm 18 and just getting to grips with the basic tools.
sizes of objects and stuff i build is the main thing i have problems with. i can make something that i think looks pretty good in hammer. then i get in game and its huge! and looks awful. i'm thinking of copying some valve maps out or sections of them. or levels from other maps. i think this might help me alot
sketch
Regular
Regular

Postby ghost12332 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:32 pm

Use dev textures sketch, one of them has the players height outlined.
ghost12332

Postby Generalvivi on Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:34 pm

plus : You have some nice mapping work ^^

Crit : I would put your mapping stuff before your photoshop designs.
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Next

Return to Portfolios