A gentle reminder - Please read

Chat about various topics.

A gentle reminder - Please read

Postby Blink on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:57 pm

It has been flagged up a few times lately that some threads (particularly a few recent Mod related ones) have been receiving unsavoury replies now and then, that are far from constructive criticism and are verging on blatant trolling.

Now I'm not going to point fingers because I'd hope that these users know who they are (some of them long standing members) but just because we've got a few industry types hanging round here now and Interlopers is fairly popular, doesn't mean we can start shooting down people's map and mod ideas because we think it will fail.

Interlopers was created as a place where users could avoid all the 12 year old forum shit, but it's definitely slipping back in.

Don't forget there is the randomthread if you'd like to let off steam.

I realise it's only a small percent of users, but please when you're writing a reply have a 5 second think if what you're typing is actually worth it. And if you see any posts that shouldn't be there, please report them instead of jumping in. We can sort out threads a lot quicker when there are only 1-2 posts to delete.

From now on, these users will be warned once, and then banned for a week.

I apologise that is has got like this, I hardly have nothing better to do than moderate lame posts but we need to make sure Interlopers remains one of the top HL2 communities for helpful, constructive and friendly discussions. :-)

It's just a case of some people being given an inch and taking a mile.

Cheers

EDIT: Please don't take this the wrong way and think I'm asking you to tell people they are awesome when they aren't. Users need honest feedback, but this can be given without an undertone of arrogance.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Re: A gentle reminder - Please read

Postby KILLA-COW on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:01 pm

Well said.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby no00dylan on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:37 pm

I agree with you blink, completely, but you have to put yourself in the 'lopers shoes. Every day there's a new thread promoting a mod "in the works" that doesn't have anything to show for itself, asking people to join the "team" and make their mod. I don't know any people here on lopers who want to join a mod where there has been no work done, and the creator has no work to show for themselves.

My proposal:

Create a "Share Your Mod Idea" topic in the forums, that way people can create a thread all about their mod, give their Steam contact info, and wait to see if anyone gives them a beep. In these threads, the creator can choose to turn responses on or off depending if they want critism on their idea. as an extra safegaurd their could also be a little disclaimer before they allow comments that what they hear may not be what they WANT to hear. and instead of applying that warning and then ban for all mod threads, how about applying it to only the ones in the "Share Your Mod Idea" topic. In this topic we could have a sticky thread on the format of posting your idea. What this would do is 1. eliminate bad comments 2.Make the mod creator more comfortable 3. Make mod promoting more professionalized, thanks to the format template thread.

Thanks for the reminder Blink, I've always considered Interlopers one of the friendliest places on the Interwebs.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:41 pm

Hey dylan, if you think the mod idea sucks, just leave it then? You don't automatically have to join as they do their post. There are different ways of commenting on what you think, either the nice way of trying to be constructive like

"Hey, like the idea, but you're not gonna get any people interested unless you have any progress to show."

Or the bad way.

"You suck."

It's up to all people to do their part, ignores things that make you rage in the mod section like that.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby no00dylan on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Phott wrote:Hey dylan, if you think the mod idea sucks, just leave it then? You don't automatically have to join as they do their post. There are different ways of commenting on what you think, either the nice way of trying to be constructive like

"Hey, like the idea, but you're not gonna get any people interested unless you have any progress to show."

Or the bad way.

"You suck."

It's up to all people to do their part, ignores things that make you rage in the mod section like that.

When it's all up to the people... you know we're screwed. I was actually trying to get across that people should be encouraged to give nice comments, but some moderation and a few gentle nudges in the right direction would really give a helping hand to the creators, and responders.

EDIT:
One thing I would like to add to my idea is a "rules" sticky in the topic to help promote good commenting.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Penney on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:48 pm

Blink wrote:...I realise it's only a small percent of users, but please when you're writing a reply have a 5 second think if what you're typing is actually worth it...

I think everyone needs to learn this discipline

Either way, don't take someones attack at what you've done or said give you a reason to lash back and keep a closed mind, they said what they said for a reason (most of the time) so take that as a chance to prove what you stated or did was right and reseach it a bit more, perhaps you missed something.
Penney

Postby mky on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:57 pm

I have a solution!

Quick reply 2.0

mky
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby FlynT on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:27 pm

I really dont like the fact that every new Mod gets straight flames at the beginning, but on the other side i can understand it. Modding is something that everyone can do and there is no Quality Control for it, but some Mods out there or better some Mod Developer out there are really talented and deserve a chance to get people for there idea!

What we really need on Ilopers is a small Quality Control for Mod Publications, nothing complex only a few bolts and nuts that are requiredfor posting Mod Publications here. I would say at least a Design Doc is required it hasn't to be a fully professional one but it needs at least a full Storyline, a description of the Gameplay, simple some useful Informations for everyone. I mean its thousand times better if a coder knows what he has to change or if a Level Designer know what direction the Environment will look, everyone get a better look and can decide by himself if he is able to do it.
Last edited by FlynT on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
*Ahhrr, my Nipples they Hurt, they Hurt when i twist them*
FlynT
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ad_hominem on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:32 pm

Blink wrote:...I realise it's only a small percent of users, but please when you're writing a reply have a 5 second think if what you're typing is actually worth it...

I do this naturally, I think. For every post I make on these forums, there are about twice as many which I've started then abandoned because it wouldn't be beneficial or interesting to anyone but me, and even with this the occasional ill-thought-out comment slips through. It's definitely sound advice to follow though.
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby Habboi on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:57 pm

Yup. Like the ad_ above I too sometimes cancel what I write because it's pointless.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jman on Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:02 pm

I believe something that could possibly help this sort of thing out would be to require at least a bit of content from the leader with all the ideas before they ask for help. To at least demonstrate they're serious about their idea. Many ideas sound better on paper than they end up being, though at the same time the opposite is often true. I've played many mods that sounded absolutely rediculous on paper yet played amazingly while on the other hand some sound great and when I play it I'm bored to death. Pitching a strange idea and asking for members is irritating (I guess?) when the creator has no content to show and just expects everyone to hop on and make stuff. Just proposing and idea without content also shows that the creator possibly hasn't had this idea for a long time and therefore it is not polished well or tested a bit in game.
Jman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ghost12332 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:40 pm

I realize that we can't flame the new mods, but god damnt, WE NEED QUALITY CONTROL. There has to be SOMETHING that is required before you can post a new mod. While a design doc would do, I would you being forced to upload one .jpg before it lets you submit your thread.
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Postby srredfire on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:57 pm

ghost12332 wrote:I realize that we can't flame the new mods, but god damnt, WE NEED QUALITY CONTROL. There has to be SOMETHING that is required before you can post a new mod. While a design doc would do, I would you being forced to upload one .jpg before it lets you submit your thread.

I have to agree here. It doesn't even need to be ingame things obviously. It doesn't take long to whip up some concept art, or anything. That way at least we can see some effort and a start of something.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Megadude on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:09 am

I would agree, except for one thing:

Mod Talk
Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

So if someone wasn't actually recruiting, and just wanted to discuss their favourite mod, but there were no topics about that mod already made, they woudln't be able to post. There would have to be seperate sections for general mod discussion and for showcasing a mod, where your suggestion could be used.
Wrathborne 711 wrote:OH MY GOD.........MEXICANS!

End of Humanity - beta version 3.0 released!
Megadude
Veteran
Veteran

Postby YokaI on Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:03 am

no00dylan wrote:I agree with you blink, completely, but you have to put yourself in the 'lopers shoes. Every day there's a new thread promoting a mod "in the works" that doesn't have anything to show for itself, asking people to join the "team" and make their mod. I don't know any people here on lopers who want to join a mod where there has been no work done, and the creator has no work to show for themselves.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and this goes for mods coming up as well as game design ideas and concepts. Often times games need to be pitched to head executives and the most you are working with is either a) a compelling argument, or b) basic model / concept art renditions. To expect a mod to have material before it has members apart of the idea is like expecting miners to have gold before they even begun digging. Give these mods some time, and if you have nothing to offer, give them your condolences and leave.

I've had a few moments where I've gone off or started tangents, and I am sorry for those moments. I will keep this thread in mind and I hope I haven't caused any problems.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Next

Return to General Discussion