A gentle reminder - Please read

Chat about various topics.

Re: A gentle reminder - Please read

Postby Athlete{UK} on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:18 pm

no00dylan wrote:I agree with you blink, completely, but you have to put yourself in the 'lopers shoes. Every day there's a new thread promoting a mod "in the works" that doesn't have anything to show for itself, asking people to join the "team" and make their mod. I don't know any people here on lopers who want to join a mod where there has been no work done, and the creator has no work to show for themselves.

Understand when you say "put yourself in lopers shoes" we are lopers and have been for a very long time. We understand that a lot of mods which will go nowhere get posted they have been posted for over four years now since before Hl2 was released, as blink says in the post honest constructive critisism is encouraged in these instances.

It's the fact that a lot of our members now see this as a chance to inflate their ego and paint 'lopers in an all together unsavory light whilst they do so.

If there is a post such as the ones we are suggesting and someone feels they absoloutly have to tell them they suck. Then they aren't the kind of 'loper we want here and they will be feeling the swift end of the ban hammer quite quickly, shoes and all.

My proposal:

Create a "Share Your Mod Idea" topic in the forums, that way people can create a thread all about their mod, give their Steam contact info, and wait to see if anyone gives them a beep. In these threads, the creator can choose to turn responses on or off depending if they want critism on their idea. as an extra safegaurd their could also be a little disclaimer before they allow comments that what they hear may not be what they WANT to hear. and instead of applying that warning and then ban for all mod threads, how about applying it to only the ones in the.

I dissagree with this idea. There shouldn't be a seperate topic for post your mod ideas since it somewhat defeats the purpose of having a mod thread. We want people to post their ideas and get feedback. Yes we get sucky ones but that's just life. Limiting them to one thread is just going to damage the community not help it. the answer here is in the 'lopers behaviour in the forums not how we can control them.

Secondly the idea of people making posts being able to turn comments off in my view is a terrible one.

One of 'lopers best points happens to be one of the points people are using as a source for their arrogance. We provide strong,fair and uncompromising critisism here. This forum is not a place for people to masturbate their egos or leave adverts lying around. It is a forum for discussion and feedback you take away comments you defeat that purpose even if it is an option.

Besides if you come across a thread with comments turned off what does it say about the creator? They know it's a bad idea anyway and they wont get the benifit of feedback.

Share Your Mod Idea" topic. In this topic we could have a sticky thread on the format of posting your idea. What this would do is 1. eliminate bad comments 2.Make the mod creator more comfortable 3. Make mod promoting more professionalized, thanks to the format template thread.

We don't want to turn 'lopers into the third reich. People should not be forced into a certain format for their posts nor are we looking to "eliminate" bad posts. If we have to go down the route of introducing regimented methods of mod proposal, having to authorise posts etc etc then interlopers wont be a fun laid back friendly community with a professionalised streak in it, It will become the very thing we're trying to avoid in this post. Besides we have plenty of guidelines on developing mod ideas and running them in the mod forum already but they are just that, guidelines.

What we would prefer is that we continue to trust interlopers as we have done for years now. We want to be able to leave you lot to it and for the most part you will police yourselves. I've moderated a number of forums and hoenstly this one is the easiest of the lot. Don't take this thread to mean we think you're all turning into complete arseholes and we're turning this place into a dictatorship to control the population. It is just as the title reads, "A Gentle reminder"
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby no00dylan on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:49 pm

All good points Athlete.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Athlete{UK} on Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:07 pm

reeke wrote:This has kinda annoyed me for quite a while now. Its easy to sense the arrogance when reading some threads on here, and its mostly self imposed with no real justification.

Lets be real here, in the grand scheme of games development or 3d work in general, interlopers is still a very ameture community, myself included of course. There's absolutely no need for the ego police to make the place look like we think we're gods gift to modding.

QFE
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby YokaI on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:29 am

Athlete{UK} wrote:
reeke wrote:This has kinda annoyed me for quite a while now. Its easy to sense the arrogance when reading some threads on here, and its mostly self imposed with no real justification.

Lets be real here, in the grand scheme of games development or 3d work in general, interlopers is still a very ameture community, myself included of course. There's absolutely no need for the ego police to make the place look like we think we're gods gift to modding.

QFE

Definitely, words of wisdom here. I just hope I am not one of those people. ; ;
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Garrador on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:05 pm

agreed with blink. I never post on this forum no more, I just read and I see mod ideas being shot down with cruel words, if I may say so, and its quite annoying tbh. Have the common decency to atleast give constructive and informed response. Like, if the idea "sucks" and it has no media, just say that

"you should work on a design document and get a clear idea of how you want youre mod to be, but no need to write it in stone, and before posting it you should consider having some media ready to attract other modders if you need a team. Think about what you would want as info before joining a team. Working on a mod is quite time consuming depending on the complexity, and modders want to know that it's worth the time. Although, if youre pretty new to the mod scene, it's worth joining a team, even though it's not the best mod. The more practise the better."

But if youre all set to shoot down the mod with shit comments, dont bother. Be constructive and not childish even though you've seen 100 bad mod ideas. Not everyone has been here long enough to get sick of it.

my two cents...
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MetaNa on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:19 pm

I know what you guys mean now, can't believe I got suckered into an argument myself earlier, there was absolutely no need for it, and I could have just walked away but I didn't. Why can't people just play nice? I've been using this place for years to get help when I need it, and give help when I might know a solution. It's a shame when somewhere becomes popular it attracts the idiots in, I just hope it doesn't get worse before you guys have to implement a zero-tolerance policy, the community would suffer for the sake of a few.
MetaNa
Regular
Regular

Postby Dr. Delta on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:44 am

I think there is a big difference in people being rude/flaming. And mod teams posting new "mods". Don't get me wrong, but sometimes I ask myself WHY these so-called mod teams post their mod "announcements".

Some while ago I commented and posted in one of these so-called new "mods". The mod team searched new members to make the mod. There was no info given. Only a somewhat unclear description. And ofcourse, most of the comments; if not all, were about the fact that they didn't show any info/media at all. Some did it constructive. Others did it less constructive.
But the thing is, who could decide what is "worthy" enough to get posted. Some one should decide then which posts get approved. And if; I think he has to check quite a big amount of posts. Further more, some of these mods/posts become very promising. They can't post much/any media, because they are in need of members. Therefore they are posting.

YokaI wrote:To expect a mod to have material before it has members apart of the idea is like expecting miners to have gold before they even begun digging. Give these mods some time, and if you have nothing to offer, give them your condolences and leave.

But you can expect the owner of the mine having gold before he starts the mining. -> You can expect they have any information about the mod. How can you find new members if you can’t even tell them what kind of mod; style; you are making it.

To come to a conclusion, we can't expect all mod teams to have media; but I think we should expect all of them at least having information and/or a main story. Otherwise you are posting you are going to make a mod. And that's not quite interesting. Everyone wants to know, What kind of mod?, What is it about?

I hope some of you can agree with me. But that’s not my main point. I merely hope my post shows what I think about this problem that is getting bigger and bigger. And hopefully mod teams use this information and ALSO think 5 seconds before THEY post a new "mod".

That's all. Delta out.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to General Discussion