The BIG Reference Index of Video Game Composers

Ambient sounds, game effects and music creation.

Re: The BIG Reference Index of Video Game Composers

Postby korge on Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:21 pm

Im too lazy to make listen links, but Bill Brown (Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, C&C Generals) and Frank Klepacki (C&C, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2) are my personal faves.
zombie@computer wrote:Thank god the government knows best.
korge
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby ErikKiller on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:38 pm

Oh man I think I have listened to everything that Frank has made and let me tell you, the man is a fucking LEGEND!
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby YokaI on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:26 am

Oakley wrote:You really need to add the two 'The Black Mages' albums underneath Nobou there. That's his best work in my opinion. It would be nice to see more video game composers getting a group together and performing them live.

I was thinking about it, but it is arguable whether or not the 3 CDs (There's a 3rd, btw) are actually "soundtracks", since they themselves don't appear in the game itself. I guess I can throw it in there, but I don't want it to be one of those indexes with "everything" in there, that's what Wikipedia is for. This is different because I am trying to directly refer to the game sound-track he or she has composed. Really want it to be used as a reference for both inspiration and finding out either games or game soundtracks you overlooked that may be worth a shot, that's the main goal.

I probably will add the black mages CDs, since they were once videogame OSTs but covered. Unfortunately, there are a few songs that were re-arranged by the other band mates, or versions that they recreated for other versions of other games and such, and it is arguable if it was ALL nobuo composing / arranging, or if the other composers in the band helped and such.

I personally prefer the originals usually, but if you like metal I imagine you may like the re-arranged versions more. I definitely don't want people to overlook nobuo's actual game sound-tracks though, because are some of the most important works in videogame composing history.

Sentura wrote:hideyuki fukasawa - freelance composer that did the SFIV soundtrack. has worked on some earlier games as well. without doubt this man has caught the capcom sound entirely, and must therefore be awesome.

jesper kyd - freedom fighters, hitman, assassin's creed, kane & lynch soundtracks. definitely a man of awesome. http://www.jesperkyd.com

Hideyuki was someone I was going to add eventually, just because I love street fighter and all of the soundtracks associated with it. I was going to add him along with Yoko Shimomura and Hideki Okugawa.

As for jesper, I hadn't really heard any of those games soundtracks, but I will add him. Again, not going to be too selective besides that thing about nobuo. I am considering linking directly to the wikipedia pages too under the names, to allow you to do some extra research if you want.

I'll get to it later tonight (I know, I am sorry, I am busy and sick D=) but yah, I plan to add everyone mentioned thus far in the next update. It kinda sucks having to dig through youtube for example tracks, but that's generally the worst of it all.

edit: Also, do I have confirmation that kelly bailey actually COMPOSED the TF2/PORTAL songs? I know for a fact some independent musicians often times give their works, I.E. the portal ending song.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby YokaI on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:01 am

Update, Hideyuki Fukasawa and Yoko Shimomura added to the list.

Gotta get back to some homework though.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Zipfinator on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:16 am

Trent Reznor

Birth: May 17th, 1965
Biography: Michael Trent Reznor was born in Mercer, Pennsylvania (halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie) to Michael Joseph Reznor and Nancy Lou Clark on May 17, 1965. Reznor was referred to by his middle name to avoid confusion with his father. After his parents divorced, he lived with his grandparents, while his sister Tera lived with their mother. At the Mercer Area Junior and Senior High Schools, Reznor learned to play the saxophone and tuba. He was a member of both the jazz and marching band. While still in high school in Mercer, Reznor was the keyboardist and one of the vocalists in a local band called The Klikz. Playing local clubs and quite a few high school dances throughout the area, The Klikz had a reputation as a talented and fun cover band. The repertoire consisted of the Pop and New Wave music hits of that period in the early 1980s. Playing a host of analog synthesizers, Reznor kept his primary keyboard on a stand he had constructed himself made from a work-mate table and a Lazy Susan that allowed him to rotate the keyboard along with his frenetic dancing and singing. The Klikz disbanded before Reznor went to college. While he was enrolled in Allegheny College, Reznor joined local band Option 30, playing three shows a week with them. But after only a year of college, Reznor dropped out and moved to Cleveland, Ohio in order to pursue a career in music. In 1985, he joined The Innocent as a keyboardist. They released one album, Livin' in the Street, but Reznor quit after just three months. In 1986, Reznor joined local band Exotic Birds. He also appeared with them as the fictional band "The Problems" in the 1987 film Light of Day. Reznor got a job at Right Track Studio (now known as Midtown Recording) as an assistant engineer and janitor. Studio owner Bart Koster later commented that Reznor was "so focused in everything he [did]. When that guy waxed the floor, it looked great." Reznor asked Koster for permission to record demos of his own songs for free during unused studio time. Koster agreed, remarking that it cost him "just a little wear on [his] tape heads". While assembling these, Reznor was unable to find a band that could articulate his songs as he wanted. Instead, inspired by Prince, he played all the instruments except drums himself. This role remains Reznor's on most of the band's studio recordings, though he has occasionally involved other musicians and assistants. Nine Inch Nails' debut album, Pretty Hate Machine, was released in 1989. From the release of Pretty Hate Machine to the present, he has recorded under the name of Nine Inch Nails.

Video Game Soundtracks:
Quake 3 Soundtrack: Listen
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby YokaI on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:28 am

Added. :smt023
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby popcornjake on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:27 am

Where's the Jeremey Soule love?

http://www.jeremysoule.com/index2.html

He did Morrowind (best game in existence mind you), Oblivion, Company of Heroes, Guild Wars and heaps of other stuff, definitely my favourite video game composer, him and the guy who made the COD4 menu tune, shit yeah.
popcornjake
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Phott on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:05 am

popcornjake wrote:Where's the Jeremey Soule love?

He did Morrowind (best game in existence mind you), Oblivion, Company of Heroes, Guild Wars and heaps of other stuff, definitely my favourite video game composer, him and the guy who made the COD4 menu tune, shit yeah.

As mentioned earlier. O.o Why wasn't he added then?
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby YokaI on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Phott wrote:
popcornjake wrote:Where's the Jeremey Soule love?

As mentioned earlier. O.o Why wasn't he added then?

Sorry, I'll get to that as soon as I get back. He isn't added because It is work for me to make it in the format it needs to be. If you want instant results, try posting it in the format to help make my life easier. I only check interlopers for short periods each day, and often times I will wait for the weekends before any major updates for it does take me some time to scavenge for the best of composers discography that I've never really heard before. I am sure you understand.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Mr. Happy on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:48 pm

Magnus Bigersson a.k.a. Solar Fields
Bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Fields
Music for : Mirror's Edge

Only one game but awesome music for sure.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Phott on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Mr. Happy wrote:Magnus Bigersson a.k.a. Solar Fields
Bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Fields
Music for : Mirror's Edge

Only one game but awesome music for sure.

Yes, definately.

And he's Swedish too! :smt023
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby surgeon on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:09 pm

you can't have a soundtrack thread without michael giacchino, he wrote the music for medal of honour up until allied assault/frontline and then airborne, as well as call of duty 1. he's also become one of the best composers in hollywood since then, including writing the music for Lost. as far as i know, he was also the first to use an actual orchestra in a video game soundtrack in jurassic park: the lost world (or at least the first major video game to use one).
surgeon

Postby Acheron on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:20 am

Stephen Rippy

Born in Texas, wrote the soundtracks to all three games in the Age of Empire series, the Age of Mythology game and more recently Halo Wars. Just put up the links to a few of my favourite ones.

Age of Empires - Listen
Age of Empires II - Listen
Age of Empires III - Listen
Halo Wars - Listen

Tom Salta

Tom Salta also known as Atlas Plug, composer of the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter soundtracks, Red Steel, Cold Fear and H.A.W.X. Has also done TV work with various trailers like Astro Boy and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix as well as for the 2006 Winter Olympics. He's also worked with people like Peter Gabriel, Mary J. Blige and Sinead O’Connor

Official Website has a lot of clips on it for some of the games.

Also not sure if it counts but the Korean video game composer team soundTeMP for the Ragnarok Online OST, purely because it is one of the coolest bloody soundtracks I've ever heard. The primary composer is Lee Seock-Jin, though Park Soo-Il, Kwon Goo-Hee and Kwak Dong-Il did compose a few songs mainly on the second CD. They've also done music for other games like Arcturus, FlyFF, Seal Online and Granado Espada.
Acheron
Regular
Regular

Postby YokaI on Tue May 12, 2009 2:59 am

Hadn't been around for a while, I'll update this in a second.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Duke Nukem on Mon May 18, 2009 9:16 pm

the best composer i know is jeremy soule. he did the soundtracks for TES morrowind and Oblivion, Prey1, Prey2, Guild Wars(i think) and so on. his style is orchestralic and stuff^^

and i remind Tommy Tallarico who did the soundtrack for Wild9(shiny entertainment).
Enjoy your Kartoffelsuppe!

ModDB Profile
Duke Nukem
Pheropod
Pheropod

PreviousNext

Return to Audio