Old New Earth

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Old New Earth

Postby Nixt on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:25 pm

The year is 2189. Rapid technological advancements in space has allowed for the terraforming of planets. The first planet terraformed was New Earth. It was a planned world. A good world. A crimeless world. Until the 10 year skirmish. A group of settlers on a newly terraformed planet had been infected with something biological from the planets crust. An anti-toxidant that sent them into a blood thirsty rage took them on a quest of vengeance and havoc. And havoc they did wreak. They bombed Earth to nothing, spreading their viral disease to all who drew close to their presence. New Earth took defensive measures, and in a last final counter-attack, launched experimental missiles which completely wiped out the enemy bombardment. However, it took it's toll upon the people of New Earth. Earth was gone, gone forever. A hub of hundred of lifetimes of knowledge had been wiped out. Their originating planet, gone. They were alone in their world. Forced to rebuild, forced to scavenge; forced to survive. Soon, parts of the capital city of New Earth - Capitalia - fell to ruin. Neglect, laziness and the overwhelming damage already done had forced Capitalia into a suburban wasteland, and only parts of the city remained in ordinance. Instead of repairing, Capitalia simply expanded beyond the wreckage. Soon establishments were built upon the ruins and the people took things into their own hands due to rising prices and less space. The ruined district soon became a flourishing district for gamblers, thieves and thugs. It was known as The Lake District, and you had to hold your own. You were born there, to a mother that died in childbirth. You lived on the streets and stole from the tourists. You were the orphan scourge of The Lake District, and you bore the title well.

Flash forward twenty years. You are a seasoned regular in the Galaticia tavern, on the centre of Capitalia. You've moved out of The Lake District and into the heart of the city. You make a living off of being a mercenary, and Private P.I . Then a friend from your old days. Your days as an starving orphans on the salvaged streets of The Lake District, watching the city spring up around you. He claims he has a secret, a secret he needs to share to you. He gets shot before he can talk, right in the middle of Capitalia, right in the heart of New Earth. But he hands you a slip of paper as he bleeds out. And bound to fulfil his last wish by trust, hope and a sense of guilt, you are lead upon a roller-coaster ride that leads you to find out secrets of New Earth, the Ten Year Skirmish and the history of Capitalia.

POSITIONS OPEN -

2XMappers
2XModeler
1XCoder

Contact me at AlternativeAccounts@live.co.uk, or I may contact you if I think you are good enough.

Things to be included in the project ( Not definite ) -

A fully realized breathing Capitalia and New Earth

New upgraded weapons and new additions

A fully plotted out storyline

Over 10 hours of gameplay

Innovative encounters

Fully realised steampunk suburban environment

New sounds, enemies and locations

A new, compelling experience

Map Basis -

Map 1 - A Day in the Life of Capitalia ( Commercial District )
Map 2 - Back to Basics ( The Lake District )
Map 3 - On the Run ( The Lake District )
Map 4 - Meeting an Old Friend Again ( Outskirts of Capitalia )
Map 5 - The Grand Monument ( Heart District )
Map 6 - Secrets ( Modern District )
Map 7 - The Foundations of this Glory City ( Heart District )
Map 8 - Father ( The Lake District )
Map 9 - Blood Thirsty ( Modern District )
Map 10 - Up in Flames ( Outskirts of Capitalia )

Members -

Project Leader - Nixt
Mapper -
Mapper -
Modeller -
Modeller -
Coder -
Coder -

Characters -

You ( Michael Strauss ) - A gritty vigilante from The Lake District, now a plier of all trades both nasty and nice. You've been drawn into this mess whether you like it or not, and its up to you to find a solution to it.

Kristian Bold - Old friend of yours from your Orphan days, he's the one who started this whole business.

Robert Smith - An anonymous buyer and seller of information, one of the figureheads behind Capitalia.

Juan Rose - A dealer of weapons and a friend of yours in times of need.

Henry Difference - The Mayor of New Earth.

Scar - A grizzled old fighter who has seen his far share of combat. Only thing known about him is he was born in Earth.

Guns -

( Mutant Grade 3 Pistol .3 ) - A fast firing pistol with cheap slugs and minimum damage. Easy to find, easy to buy.

( Skyline Revolver Grade 1 ) - A slowing firing rate yet heavy damage makes this revolver a number one choice.

( Pha$ic Assault Rifle ) - The basic Assault rifle, reliable and simple. Medium damage, medium fire rate.

( Pha$ic Machine gun ) - The basic Machine gun, reliable and simple. Medium damage, medium fire rate.

( Skyline Assault Rifle Mark 4 ) - Fast firing Machine that hits hard, but has a slow reload time.

( Mutant Machine gun ) - Heavy machine gun, good for suppressing fire. Rendered obsolete after use.

( Energy Sniper Rifle Mark 1 ) - Slow, simple sniper with high accuracy and low recoil.

( Energy Sniper Rifle .3 ) - Fast, automatic sniper with low accuracy and medium recoil.

( Mutant Incendiary grenades ) - Incendiary grenade with medium spread and high damage.

( Skyline Combustion grenades ) - Standard grenade, medium explosive properties

Voice actors WANTED -

We need at least 6 voice actors for all the main characters, etc. And 3 voice actors for misc.

Apply here in this thread and I will contact you later.

Other details -

We will need some music for the game. We are looking for some soft background music ranging to Kasabian like background rock. If you wish to send forward one of your own pieces or a piece you have license to, contact me through Live Messenger.

Remember, AlternativeAccounts@live.co.uk
Last edited by Nixt on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nixt
Regular
Regular

Re: Old New Earth

Postby Dionysos on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:56 pm

A group of settlers on a newly terraformed planet had been infected with something biological from the planets crust. An anti-oxidant that sent them into a blood thirsty rage took them on a quest of vengeance and havoc.

Well... I don't know if you are still revising your story, but this part somehow doesn't fit with the rest. I get the impression you want to make it gritty, realistic-steampunkish, and this bit left me saying "w00000t?" Also, did their newly found taste for havoc just die away afterwards? I'm sure lots of people are gonna come in here saying "more media!" any second. I would maybe write up some a more detailed, thorough design doc at least if you want to get people interested, as there is a lot of competition for able modders out there me thinks.
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby Nixt on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:03 pm

No. They got bombed. The part fits into the story as a pre-cursor to the destruction of Earth which leads to the seclusion and lost feeling of New Earth, and the bombed out parts of Capitalia.
Nixt
Regular
Regular

Postby MayheM on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:16 pm

A group of settlers on a newly terraformed planet had been infected with something biological from the planets crust. An anti-oxidant that sent them into a blood thirsty rage took them on a quest of vengeance and havoc.

Anti-Oxidant? Like blueberries?

All kidding aside, it sounds like a good story line. I wish I could commit to helping but I have a lot on my plate. If you need small things like textures or sounds I may be able to squeeze those in...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Nixt on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:28 pm

MayheM wrote:

Anti-Oxidant? Like blueberries?

All kidding aside, it sounds like a good story line. I wish I could commit to helping but I have a lot on my plate. If you need small things like textures or sounds I may be able to squeeze those in...

Would you be willing to provide some misc. voice acting?

Also, I misspelled Anti-Toxidant. Left out the T, capitalised the O
Last edited by Nixt on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nixt
Regular
Regular

Postby MayheM on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:41 pm

Actually i can totally do that. I have actually wanted to do some voice work... If you get me a script of things you want. I can do several variations of them for you...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Nixt on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:51 pm

Okay. Add me on hotmail and we'll get discussing.
Nixt
Regular
Regular

Postby Mr-Jigsaw on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:06 pm

Over ten hours of gameplay? That's longer than HL2 itself, and that took seven years to make!

And why is it steampunk? The year is 2189, I have a hard time believing that steam power is to make any significant comeback any time in the future.
Mr-Jigsaw
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Nixt on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:15 pm

Steampunk and neo-punk is a type of design work and artwork and architectural standard. It may not encompass steam but it encompasses the wide mechanical range of the victorian era. Over ten hours of gameplay isn't hard to do if you make something large enough, detailed enough and can draw a player into it. Maybe Half life 2 didn't give you 10 hours of gameplay, but its given me hundreds.
Nixt
Regular
Regular

Postby MaK on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:24 pm

10 hours of gameplay? Wow man that's a big expectation, you're going to either need a huge team or a lot of time, but starting off small is just the right thing to do. Sounds like you have lots of ideas, that's good, we all have ideas. So far you're the only member, project leader. Can you tell me exactly what it is you do? When people are recruiting members for their mod, before releasing all this info usually we like to see some media that you have actually worked on for it. Or else it's just an idea not actually being put into work, which is what you're supposed to do, not the mappers/modelers you recruit. Anyways, good luck.
MaK

Postby Nixt on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:33 pm

I have the plot fully mapped out, a full script of dialogue ready to be done and am waiting for a friend of mine from the game studio I work at to get back to me about some concept art. Before you give me the usual stuff, no. I do not expect this done in a small timeframe. I'm looking at maybe a few years. What is it I do? I TELL people what to do, what is needed next and I assemble the team, I make sure everything is working right and I arrange all kinds of things. I would show you what I have worked on in the past but it's mainly deadware projects or projects I would get fired for showing because they are still in development by the company I am working for, which I shall not reveal.
Nixt
Regular
Regular

Postby Ennui on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:09 pm

Nixt wrote:A group of settlers on a newly terraformed planet had been infected with something biological from the planets crust. An anti-toxidant that sent them into a blood thirsty rage took them on a quest of vengeance and havoc. And havoc they did wreak.

Oh gee, where did this idea come from? I think I know...

Nixt wrote:I TELL people what to do, what is needed next and I assemble the team, I make sure everything is working right and I arrange all kinds of things.

That's great, but you should learn an actual modding skill and get crackin on that if you want people to take you seriously.

Not that anyone is going to take you seriously anyway because you don't have any completed projects to show and this is hellishly overambitious particularly for someone who's never run a mod before AND you clearly have the attention span of a 7 year old who just ate their way through a bag of candy and case of red bulls because about five threads down you were recruiting for a different mod you started...
Ennui
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Nixt on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:52 pm

Just because an idea has been used once does not mean it is used the exact same way the next time. Oh, and for the record. The infection in Serenity was government man made, this is natural toxins. Not to mention, it could just as well be rage from 28 days/weeks later as Serenity.

Thats great, but instead of acting like a complete idiot I'm sure you could just leave this thread. I am a project leader in the industry, in one of the top companies and currently shifting over to a joint owned mass company when it is set up. I am sure you, sitting in your dank basement, have not come close to what I have achieved with my non '' actual modding skill ''

Oh, let them not take me seriously. The ones that do are enough anyways. If I work for one of the best companies in the industry on a project only recently unveiled a few months ago it's not likely I'm going to go showing off everything I've done for it or some of the deadware I've done before that that the company decided to cut off. Besides, being a Project Leader kind of means I cant give you solo projects because ... well, durr? When the game comes out I'll tell you what I did and how. Maybe you'll learn something new about the industry and your '' actual modding skills ''. Because, let me tell you. If you joined a mod and didn't know what to do, you'd need a project leader. You would also need a project leader to release your contribution to the mod to the team and to bycheck everything you've done. Heck, if you think being a project leader isn't '' actual modding skills '' then I expect you to give me a full length essay on why it isn't and what is?

I forgive you for your next insult, you probably didn't know I was in the industry. But just because I can run more then one project at once showcases skill, not showcases lack of skill.
Nixt
Regular
Regular

Postby Sacul15 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:58 pm

So what company do you work for? And what games have you seen to fruition? If you could provide something that shows you are more than just an "idea man" you might be taken a little more seriously.
Sacul15
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby zombie@computer on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:03 pm

Nixt wrote:Just because an idea has been used once does not mean it is used the exact same way the next time. Oh, and for the record. The infection in Serenity was government man made, this is natural toxins. Not to mention, it could just as well be rage from 28 days/weeks later as Serenity.

Thats great, but instead of acting like a complete idiot I'm sure you could just leave this thread. I am a project leader in the industry, in one of the top companies and currently shifting over to a joint owned mass company when it is set up. I am sure you, sitting in your dank basement, have not come close to what I have achieved with my non '' actual modding skill ''

Oh, let them not take me seriously. The ones that do are enough anyways. If I work for one of the best companies in the industry on a project only recently unveiled a few months ago it's not likely I'm going to go showing off everything I've done for it or some of the deadware I've done before that that the company decided to cut off. Besides, being a Project Leader kind of means I cant give you solo projects because ... well, durr? When the game comes out I'll tell you what I did and how. Maybe you'll learn something new about the industry and your '' actual modding skills ''. Because, let me tell you. If you joined a mod and didn't know what to do, you'd need a project leader. You would also need a project leader to release your contribution to the mod to the team and to bycheck everything you've done. Heck, if you think being a project leader isn't '' actual modding skills '' then I expect you to give me a full length essay on why it isn't and what is?

I forgive you for your next insult, you probably didn't know I was in the industry. But just because I can run more then one project at once showcases skill, not showcases lack of skill.
get off your horse, your majesty. Theres a branch in your way.

on a more serious note, ill link to this 'so you want to start a mod for dummies' article so we dont have to have this discussion again, raping this thread before it ends the page.

Nixt, you ever before been in an amateur team? its a totally different world to that of professional game design.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Next

Return to Mod Talk