Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Game discussion and other related chat.

Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby Major Banter on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:54 pm

I don't know how many of you have already played this part of the game, but it's well worth a mention. Spoilers ahead.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/09/british-mp-watson-leading-charge-against-modern-warfare-2-media/

Righty then gentlemen. This is all about the scene where you walk through an airport and literally mow down civilians. The UK parliament has already discussed the game, and it's really beginning to kick off amongst parents - my mother, who works in a school, has bollocked me about having 'that game in our house'. Is this reaction overkill, or just the media having another dig at gaming?

I can honestly say that I think Infinity Ward dropped the ball here. It's just too dodgy a subject in too dodgy a time. Children WILL play this game, and WILL play this particular part. It's not good. I'm over the legal limit and I found it very close to the knuckle. What would a child of 12, 13, 14 think? A cutscene would have been better; yeah, we lose some of the game and that sucks for us oldies, but it's a worthwhile thing to do.

In any case ESRB were correct in their decision to let the game through IMO, and it's pretty damn good.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Modern Warfare 2 Controversy

Postby srredfire on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:59 pm

If you don't like it, don't play it.

If you don't want your kids seeing it, don't buy it for them.

If you don't want to see it, skip it.

Simple as that. No one is forcing it down your throat. The game is rated M for mature, assuming you're mature enough to handle it. It's called MODERN WARFARE. Modern as in today, warfare as in war. It's realistic and it fits properly.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby tundra_cool on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:14 pm

It's a war game and you're a pussy.
tundra_cool
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Spas12 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:16 pm

Even though I'm still against most of their idiotic pricing, gameplay, and server choices I still defend their decision of allowing that type of gameplay into it. Its their game, noone is forcing you to play it, and its rated mature for a reason.
Past Treyarch Level Designer

Portfolio
Spas12
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Major Banter on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:26 pm

I'm not going to be a douchefuck and change my opinion and look like a cowardly dick. I'll just clarify and then let you rip into the media.

I enjoyed that bit. It was different and interesting. It's just not a good bit to have.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ad_hominem on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:27 pm

I actually wrote about this controversy last week, and I'm sticking to my initial response. Infinity Ward have every right to put that in a game, and I believe it adds to the experience rather than detracting from it.
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby Phott on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:33 pm

This is just like any other violent game that people complain about, they are just being slightly more original. I don't think there's anything wrong, it's a game, not real life.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Major Banter on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:33 pm

ad_hominem wrote:I actually wrote about this controversy last week, and I'm sticking to my initial response. Infinity Ward have every right to put that in a game, and I believe it adds to the experience rather than detracting from it.

Bastard. You and your thoughtshake convert me again.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby abathor on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:33 pm

The game is about global terrorism and counter-terrorism, and all the nastiness that goes with it. If you don't like it, then take up the issue with the real world. Art merely imitates life, and life is not very pleasant at times.
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Mighty Monk on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:34 pm

Personally, I don't think there is such a problem having this level in the game.

As said, it is skippable, the game is rated 18+ (here in the UK at least) and there's really not a lot more they could do.

Sure, they could have removed the level and done something else, but, to really get a feel for exactly what the games "villain" is willing to do to make his point noticed, they couldn't have done it any better. There is a *point* to this level; it's not a mindless massacre of the defenceless.
Mighty Monk
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:02 pm

This is fucking stupid. Compare this to the GTA series, where you can go around a whole city and murder random people in grisly ways; a game series in which each installment has refined this element more and more. Nothing was done about it as far as I recall.

It only takes the right amount of bird shit from the media to cause an issue over something so insignificant.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Chopium on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:37 pm

Wait. Is this game released in Australia? Australia?! While I'm happy that our Aussie friends get to play the game, it's a bit concerning when a government agency can't in any way let the gory gibing of zombies slide through in a game, but are letting the 'mowing down' of innocent people at an airport in a game.

"Several civilians are shot with blood burst bullet wounds; civilian corpses are strewn across the airport floor, often in stylised pools of blood; injured civilians crawl away with lengthy blood trails behind them."

My faggotry sense is tingling!
Chopium

Postby ad_hominem on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:46 pm

nub wrote:This is fucking stupid. Compare this to the GTA series, where you can go around a whole city and murder random people in grisly ways; a game series in which each installment has refined this element more and more. Nothing was done about it as far as I recall.

It only takes the right amount of bird shit from the media to cause an issue over something so insignificant.

Are you kidding? The GTA games each caused a huge amount of media hysteria, second only to the Manhunt manhunt.
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby Blink on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:05 am

Nothing wrong with it. Not any worse than any violent film.

This is a game for grown-ups just the same as a film would be. Yes kids might see it but that's where the responsibility of a parent kicks in.

Most of the politicians discussing the game made perfect sense in defending it anyway. I can't believe it's even up for debate considering the state of many films.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby MayheM on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:25 am

srredfire wrote:If you don't like it, don't play it.

If you don't want your kids seeing it, don't buy it for them.

If you don't want to see it, skip it.

Simple as that. No one is forcing it down your throat. The game is rated M for mature, assuming you're mature enough to handle it. It's called MODERN WARFARE. Modern as in today, warfare as in war. It's realistic and it fits properly.

They Made me Play those games!!!
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Gaming Chat