Experences from iPhone users here?

Chat about various topics.

Experences from iPhone users here?

Postby Gary on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:03 am

I currently own a Razor V3, theres really nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't really have any features I like or the features it has just aren't that great. So I was looking around(I have a upgrade available) and started to think of the iPhone and how anyone I saw with it really liked it. I also like how it has WLAN and such.

I am using AT&T by the way.

But I had some questions before I went out and tried to get one.

How many useful apps are free? Can I use AIM, MSN, Facebook, MySpace and such for free? Do I have to pay just to use properly them? (Excluding Internet costs)

How durable is it? Will dropping once or twice completely destroy it?

How fast is the internet? I assume it's pretty decent, but I was just wondering.

I've heard some things, not sure if their true or not.. but do you have to be using a certain service just to use the iPhone? can't I use it with just a Internet/Phone service?

Is it any cheaper when you are getting it as a upgrade? (iPhone 3GS, note I am on AT&T)

Overall, how do you feel about your iPhone? Do you regret getting it or can you not live anymore without it?

Thanks.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Re: Experences from iPhone users here?

Postby SixThree on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:34 am

Gary wrote:How many useful apps are free? Can I use AIM, MSN, Facebook, MySpace and such for free? Do I have to pay just to use properly them? (Excluding Internet costs)

There is an absolute ton of great free apps out there, including all of services you mentioned. The Facebook iPhone app is very slick. Many apps have a lite and a pay version, but the lite version usually includes all of the core features. I wouldn't worry about paying for apps, anyways, as the majority of them (that aren't free in the first place) are $1-$3.

Gary wrote:How durable is it? Will dropping once or twice completely destroy it?

The build is as good as any other phone. It does have a bit of weight to it, so dropping it from 6ft will probably leave a mark (case-less, of course). I've dropped mine once from about 3 feet, no damage.

Gary wrote:How fast is the internet? I assume it's pretty decent, but I was just wondering.

I can't vouch for AT&T, but using Rogers (Canada) 3G I get decent speeds. I can load Interlopers in about 5 seconds. Wifi is pretty snappy, usually cuts the time in half.

Gary wrote:I've heard some things, not sure if their true or not.. but do you have to be using a certain service just to use the iPhone? can't I use it with just a Internet/Phone service?

I'm not sure what you mean... Are you talking about the additional data plan? (Rogers at least, not sure how it works in the States).

Gary wrote:Overall, how do you feel about your iPhone? Do you regret getting it or can you not live anymore without it?

I love it, has become a part of me.

Something to note, the new one comes out in the summer, I'd get that one or wait until it comes and get the reduced cost 3GS (it's bound to happen).
SpaceJesus wrote:Not to sound harsh, but cl_commonsense 1 please folks
SixThree
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby nub on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:35 am

I think it's a pretty decent phone. I myself don't have one but I do have an iTouch 1st gen. I've dropped it a couple of times and it still works flawlessly, and it's a lot slimmer and finer than the iPhone. Overall though, GET A QUALITY LEATHER CASE FOR IT. I have a pretty durable natural leather case with a magnetic flap for my iTouch and I wouldn't want any other. Those cheap rubber/hard plastic skins hardly provide any protection. Leather is the way to go in my opinion.

All I really know about the iPhone is that you can only use AT&T with it, so you're in luck. I think getting the 3G internet is a little expensive though. You either get that or you have to rely on "hot spots" using the wifi. That's how my iTouch is and it's not that great. But again, mine is only the 1st generation.

My friend used the Youtube app often during school and it had a pretty good connection, but like I said he was paying for the service and it's pretty expensive apparently.

Oh and make sure you get some different head phones. iPod head phones suck.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:43 am

Thanks for the tips, I will make sure I get a nice leather case for my iPhone and to use different head phones(If I do end up getting the phone).
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Dionysos on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:27 pm

You should read up on other smart phones, depending on your budget, that offer more functionality/less restrictions (playback and whatnot).

If you've got lots of money you can check out the Nokia N900.
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby Zabiela on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:00 pm

As an Android G1 user, I have to say the Iphone OS is smoother and more responsive than Android (on the G1, I havent tried the new android phones). All the Iphone apps generally have more polish than the android apps.

That said I've only ever paid for one android app (1.50$, and I own ~35 apps). The ability to multitask 6 apps is great- you cant check an email while listening to pandora on an Iphone. By far my favorite software feature- syncing everything to Gmail. If I lose my phone I still have all my contacts in my Gmail account. Gchat is also well integrated.
If you are a frequent Gmail user, I'd get an android. If not, I'd get an Iphone.

Ps. whats the minimum monthly bill for a 3g plan with ATNT now? 75/month was too high for me but that was a year ago.

Pps. Both the G1 and Iphones can have their screen shatter/crack if you drop it a certain way. Definately get a protective case.
I didnt, and I dropped the g1 about 5 times, and on the fifth I got a big crack down the screen. Luckily the touch capabilities are fine. Same thing can happen to the Iphone, as i've witnessed.
Zabiela
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby SixThree on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:02 pm

Zabiela wrote:The ability to multitask 6 apps is great- you cant check an email while listening to pandora on an Iphone.

Multitasking is coming in the summer, and funny enough, Pandora/email is the scenario they demoed.
SpaceJesus wrote:Not to sound harsh, but cl_commonsense 1 please folks
SixThree
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Zipfinator on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:15 pm

If you're going to get an iPhone, wait a few months for the 4G to come out.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Major Banter on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:40 pm

As Zip says, wait for the 4G. But these are my experiences thus far with a 3G.

How many useful apps are free? Can I use AIM, MSN, Facebook, MySpace and such for free? Do I have to pay just to use properly them? (Excluding Internet costs)

Yup. Simple as that. Most contracts give you completely free WAP as well.

How durable is it? Will dropping once or twice completely destroy it?

Spend a bit of cash on a decent rigid case and it toughens up considerably. A scratch resistant screen overlay adds the kind of strength you need to not have to shell out for insurance.

How fast is the internet? I assume it's pretty decent, but I was just wondering.

As fast as you'd expect for a small computer; clunky but good enough; assuming it's mobile sites. Full sites are, well, shit.

I've heard some things, not sure if their true or not.. but do you have to be using a certain service just to use the iPhone? can't I use it with just a Internet/Phone service?

Eh? You're stuck with whatever your contractor is (seriously, get it on contract, never pay as you go) but internet can be any accessible WiFi or as I've said, WAP. Which is kinda awesome.

Is it any cheaper when you are getting it as a upgrade? (iPhone 3GS, note I am on AT&T)

No. Apple prices it, not the company.

Overall, how do you feel about your iPhone? Do you regret getting it or can you not live anymore without it?

S'fucking awesome. It hasn't changed my life or anything, but it's a pretty neat piece of equipment.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks guys, very useful information.

I might wait for the 4G one, depending on when it is coming out.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Mighty Monk on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:47 pm

You could also wait and look into the new Windows phones.

http://www.windowsphone7.com/

Though no doubt I'm gonna be told I'm "stupid" for daring to suggest to look at Microsoft as an alternative. Haha.
Mighty Monk
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:34 am

Don't worry, it's not a bad idea to suggest others.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Kov on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:41 am

My only complaint is that they seem very fragile.

Last night I dropped it out of my clumbsy little hands at my friend's party. I wasn't even bothered because it didn't seem like a bad fall. But when I picked it up the screen was just pure white. The phone itself still recieved calls and texts etc. but the screen just stays white.

Im not sure that's really a valid point against Iphones though. Most high tech phones these days break quite easily. So a word of warning: Dont get an Iphone if your clumbsy like me.
Kov

Postby Mighty Monk on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:46 am

Of course it's a valid point; they aren't exactly cheap to buy.

My ex-girlfriend had an iPhone, dropped it, and a chunk of the back come off. Her girl friends all own iPhones too, and they've all suffered serious damage when being dropped. Oh and one of them sat on hers and the screen cracked... the girl is tiny.
Mighty Monk
Regular
Regular

Postby Kov on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 am

I dont know anyone that experienced the same thing as me, so I asumed I was just unlucky.

After hearing that though, I must say that is terrible. I'm currently desiding if I should buy a new one or if I should just get a different phone.

I'll be watching this thread.
Kov

Next

Return to General Discussion