Experences from iPhone users here?

Chat about various topics.

Re: Experences from iPhone users here?

Postby RefaelBA on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:58 am

Well the iPhone completely nails the user experience part. They have a very slick OS and the best touch technology in the world. It's very fun to use the iPhone, and you also get an iPod in it and very good apps.

Personally I use something called iStudiez Pro which helps me organize my semester brilliantly. I was really lost without it but never again! Also I would like to resent what Banter said, the iPhone comes with Safari which is a rather capable browser. You may need to zoom in on full-scale websites but actually, that's fun to do, because the touch screen is doing a superb job with multi-touch.

There are cons though, such as: The kit earphones suck, you must get a screen protector and a case if you want the device to age well, you're not very free to put some 3rd party apps or share your music unless you jailbreak your device (currently, there's no jailbreak for the newest iPhones). And while some people say the sound quality isn't very good on the actual phone part, I didn't run into anything like that, I think the sound is perfectly sufficient.

Bottom line, I'm not really an apple guy at all, and they do have some harsh restrictions on their devices. But they nailed it with the iPhone (and iTouch) and I can't deny that. The user experience is different, it kind of pushes you to be legit about music downloads and applications, too. Keep that in mind...
RefaelBA

Postby YokaI on Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:39 am

The way I see it, before the Iphone I didn't need to have a cellphone. I just used my home phone. In fact, I actually don't like people always being able to contact me, I like a bit of freedom and don't want to be contactable at any time. Having said that, the Iphone has so many features and makes communicating such a lag-free enjoyable expreience, that I actually DO use my cell phone besides just keeping it idle in my pocket. The mp3 player part isn't great, but it's better than most other phones and it's nice being able to walk home and listen to music but not miss out on any important phone calls.

The droid looks ok, but it doesn't provide much that the iphone doesn't have. I'd say wait until the 4g, or buy the 3gs once multitasking hits (which should be June / July, if I remember correctly.) If you don't want an Iphone, I'd advise either buying a Droid or waiting for the Google Phone.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby SixThree on Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:47 am

YokaI wrote:If you don't want an Iphone, I'd advise either buying a Droid or waiting for the Google Phone.

Isn't the "Google" phone the Nexus One? And somebody mentioned taking a look at the Windows 7 phones, +1 for that, they do look promising.
SpaceJesus wrote:Not to sound harsh, but cl_commonsense 1 please folks
SixThree
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Chopium on Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:54 am

The iPhone is great, just stay away from iTunes music purchases. If anything, purchase music with Amazon MP3 Download service. If you spend your money on iTunes music, you are saying you will only use that music for Apple products and for Apple products only. Amazon music is lock free, so you can enjoy it on any music system, including the iPhone.
Chopium

Postby YokaI on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:03 am

Mr. Chop wrote:The iPhone is great, just stay away from iTunes music purchases. If anything, purchase music with Amazon MP3 Download service. If you spend your money on iTunes music, you are saying you will only use that music for Apple products and for Apple products only. Amazon music is lock free, so you can enjoy it on any music system, including the iPhone.

Quick note, you can get rid of the drm by burning the music to a burnable cd and then ripping that onto your computer again.

You may need to rename the tracks but it's worth it to get rid of pesky drm. (Obviously, rip it with a non-itunes affiliated program...)
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Mighty Monk on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:51 am

YokaI wrote:
Mr. Chop wrote:The iPhone is great, just stay away from iTunes music purchases. If anything, purchase music with Amazon MP3 Download service. If you spend your money on iTunes music, you are saying you will only use that music for Apple products and for Apple products only. Amazon music is lock free, so you can enjoy it on any music system, including the iPhone.

Quick note, you can get rid of the drm by burning the music to a burnable cd and then ripping that onto your computer again.

You may need to rename the tracks but it's worth it to get rid of pesky drm. (Obviously, rip it with a non-itunes affiliated program...)

That seems like a pretty length and extra costly way to get around Apple's evil DRM. I'd say it's easier to just download from Amazon out of the two options. Or, you know, buy a CD :P

SixThree wrote:
YokaI wrote:If you don't want an Iphone, I'd advise either buying a Droid or waiting for the Google Phone.

Isn't the "Google" phone the Nexus One? And somebody mentioned taking a look at the Windows 7 phones, +1 for that, they do look promising.

And yay, +1 to me. I'm quite looking forward to the Windows Phone. I currently use a HTC Touch Diamond 2 running Windows Mobile 6.5. It's... crude in places, but HTC have done a good job at applying their own skin changes and ugprades where necessary. Windows Phone 7 however is going to be an amazing upgrade on its predecessor systems.
Mighty Monk
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Err, people, iTunes disabled DRM about 6 months back...

Christ, stick with the times. All music is now copyable infinitely, and needs no login.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mighty Monk on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Well, I don't use iTunes or any Apple products and never will, so how was I to know :(
Mighty Monk
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:32 am

So, the iPhone 4G came out, anyone get to play with one? I've heard that had a few new features, such as a better camera and is twice as fast processing wise. Thoughts?
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby RefaelBA on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:41 am

I don't have one, but I can't seem to able to get rid of the torrent of news this little device is generating.
So with not wanting one or caring much, I know all about the new Retina screen which has 4 times more pixels, and the new camera, the multitasking...

But I also heard that a lot of people complained about the device - if you hold it in a certain way it loses reception (your hand is probably acting as a conductor between two antenae), the screen shows strange colors, volume buttons are misplaced, it breaks easily and other stuff.

In other words - now's the time to wait, don't waste your money yet.
RefaelBA

Postby city14 on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:44 am

I don't have one, but a guy at work does. And from what I saw, the clarity on the screen is incredible. Something like 320dpi and it's 720p... It has no visible pixel difference so it looks like you are reading from a real page of paper.
coder0xff wrote:I wonder if Gabe ever lies in bed at night, thinking about all the fat jokes, and just cries himself to sleep, wiping his tears away with one-thousand dollar bills.
city14
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Bema on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 pm

iPhone 4 is definatly a huge leap from the previous versions in terms of build quality, features and tech...but the huge leap only exists because the 3G and 3GS weren't exactly full of features. They had bad cameras, no flash, no multi-tasking, no folder organisation...all the stuff that is being celebrated now is stuff the 'fans' have been wanting for years, and things the competitors have been doing for years. Still, Apple have pulled off what they've got nicely.

I've had no issues with dropped calls or faults with the screen that others seem to be reporting. The volume buttons don't quite feel right, but I think that's because im so used to the placement on the 3G. The lock/unlock has been changed too. It's a bit tight, and alot more clicky. I'll be honest - it just feels a bit cheap. In fact all the buttons have a definate 'click' factor to them. Not really sold on that one yet.

The screen does look great. A good quality image looks stunning. Text looks good too, but you get used to it very quickly (especially if you use a decent monitor) so that's really a lost selling point. I assume video playback is decent but im yet to try it.

That's a bit of a light review as i've only had it about 13 hours and haven't gotten around to doing more than calling and texting. How novel...using a phone as a phone!
Bema
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby ErikKiller on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:43 am

Gary wrote:So, the iPhone 4G came out, anyone get to play with one? I've heard that had a few new features, such as a better camera and is twice as fast processing wise. Thoughts?

The back-panel can change design. Just drop it on the ground.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Gary on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:10 am

Thanks for the information guys. Also, keep me updated on your experience with the phone Bema.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Zabiela on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:19 am

I got to see an Iphone4g today. That display is no joke, pixel density is off the chart.

Still, i'm not about to put 400$ into something I could drop and kill.
Zabiela
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion