Map Battle 44 - Confliction

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 44 - Confliction

Postby BattleGrunt on Thu May 13, 2010 1:23 am

I agree. I would prefer something that has technical and artistic limitations. This a bit too open.

I'd like to see something like: make a MP map with only ten brushes, 3 required weapons, and a particular theme.

Or have a map contest with SP with the same restrictions.

Interesting creative solutions come from limitations and I think that's what people enjoy here.
BattleGrunt

Postby Armageddon on Thu May 13, 2010 2:34 am

Can you see it?

Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MáØ on Thu May 13, 2010 4:07 am

Come on guys have a little imagination kay? even if it has been done three times (not the same theme, similar themes, but not the same...) that can only mean it is interesting and has enough possibilities to be done that much. What would you prefer? Some weird battle based on circles?
MáØ
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Smurftyours on Thu May 13, 2010 4:54 am

Guys I believe you have to make something new that hasn't been used before.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Armageddon on Thu May 13, 2010 5:04 am

Smurftyours wrote:Guys I believe you have to make something new that hasn't been used before.

Yeah they know, their just hating...
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Zipfinator on Thu May 13, 2010 5:28 am

Armageddon wrote:
Smurftyours wrote:Guys I believe you have to make something new that hasn't been used before.

Yeah they know, their just hating...

Yeah, they know. They're just hating.

Anyway you shouldn't get too upset over a repeating battle. There's still a lot of room for creativity. It would be nice if it were a bit more restricting though. Elements would have been much better in my opinion. It forces you to interpret one of a few set choices. This theme is way too open and doesn't really restrict at all. You can make a conflict out of pretty much anything. It's much more challenging and entertaining trying to deal with restrictions than being able to do pretty much whatever you want. If you're dying to enter a battle though you shouldn't really care if you're restricted or not. Try and set some restrictions for yourself like only using custom content or conveying deep emotion without the use of characters.

It is kind of annoying though that after the past few battles failing Banter and the admins still haven't reformed the system but I guess they don't see anything wrong with it. Hopefully if this one fails they'll finally try to do something about that.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vcool on Thu May 13, 2010 7:44 am

MáØ wrote:Come on guys have a little imagination kay? even if it has been done three times (not the same theme, similar themes, but not the same...) that can only mean it is interesting and has enough possibilities to be done that much. What would you prefer? Some weird battle based on circles?

I am sure there will be plenty of interesting ideas from newer members, but for those who have been here a while, dying to participate in a map battle (I wasn't this Hammer-hungry in a loooooong time) just to find out it's the same thing for the third time - it's dissapointing.

Now I don't want to come across as some kind of old-school-new-member-hater, because I'm not. I welcome new people, and in fact I think the new members drive this little corner of the internet. If it would be the same old 20 fucks posting for a few years in a row, this place would die quickly. Yet you still have to cater to those who were here before. Maybe if it was something different, like, film noir i wouldn't mind redoing, but something that's ALREADY been repeated - it is silly.

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Corigami on Thu May 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Although there have been two similar topics, those two similar topics brought a good turnout for the competition. Participation has been rather shitty lately and I think a topic like this will bring in a lot of competitors. I understand people being frustrated with a topic that may seem a little stale, but it's so open ended you surely could think of something new to enter.
Corigami
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Major Banter on Thu May 13, 2010 1:05 pm

1; The battles cater to newcomers as much as anyone

2; I don't look through every previous battle for themes, I base it entire on what lies in the Suggestions thread

3; It's not the same theme; it's interpretation. If you, as artists, feel that it's above you by all means step out. I will not be taking recycled or half-arsed efforts into account. This is a battle, not a page for being a douche.

4; Cheers for the encouragement. Seriously. After the farce of 'Limitation' I opened out the theme. I went along with the suggestions and I slimmed everything down. I made it basic and easy to understand coupled with use of your imagination. I tried to make "Confliction" as interesting as humanly possible; to be open to people without skills in custom content which specific themes demand.

It's a pity, seeing as a few Elites who have not communicated thier fucking wishes in Suggestions want to be fucking idiots.

Get the hell on with it. I'll discuss a new system with Hollow and present it later.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hollow on Thu May 13, 2010 2:31 pm

I think the system needs to change. All the ideas in the map suggestion thread aren't coming to fruition.
I suggest we should create a new thread for suggestions, we vote for the ones that we like most....and depending on the amount of ideas, split them into tiers/groups (5 or 10 per group) and then vote again to decide which map battle we start with in each group. Eventually working through each battle in the group.

It means, none of the best ideas get wasted, everyone who had some input are more likely to see their suggestion happen, and it'll keep us busy with ideas for a fair while, without us worrying about ideas for the next map battle. Once we have completed a group of battles, we just move on to another one, or if there weren't enough suggestions, repeat the voting system again.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby dewkl on Thu May 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Why are people so upset about not getting their favorite theme? Being challenged on terms you don't like/agree with is something you should expect (and embrace).

I agree with Zipfinator, if I understood his post correctly. Creativity thrives in restrictions. The map battles shouldn't be about something people want/expect it to be. I see no point in voting over this at all.
dewkl
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Evil Scotsman on Fri May 14, 2010 10:50 pm

Uhm, I think I'd like to try this one, but I don't know if it's gonna stick around or if it's gonna be changed.

edit: No nevermind, that wont work right now.
Evil Scotsman
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Fri May 14, 2010 11:49 pm

If I could get Ep2/Garry's Mod to compile, I would try to submit an entry. But vbsp does not do anything for me after the update that was supposed to fix the problems the other update caused.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby MáØ on Sat May 15, 2010 5:07 am

Gary are you running source 2007 or 2009?
MáØ
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Gary on Sat May 15, 2010 5:30 am

I have Ep2 in 2007, or else I get all the bugs that came from the previous update(the stuff in my thread).
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section